Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
trooper6

Default Re: [DF] Bard Song Terror - does Bardic Talent help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yes. Earplugs.
Okay, so the only way a Bard can use Terror in an adventure is if the rest of the party regularly uses Ear Plugs and then the whole group must deal with the problems that come with not being able to hear anything, including bad guys coming at you. They wouldn't be able to communicate with each other easily without the Gesture skill (which isn't on all templates)...and certainly no complex concepts.

It seems like not a good trade off most groups would be willing to make. So Terror is basically a very expensive power that is only going to be of use if the Bard gets separated from the rest of the party?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Okay, so the only way a Bard can use Terror in an adventure is if the rest of the party regularly uses Ear Plugs
Or have done a little advance planning.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Or have done a little advance planning.
But the advance planning you are talking about is that all the PCs use ear plugs when dungeon delving, giving up the ability to hear anything at all so that the Bard can use this one ability which may not be effective?

If so, who ever use Terror? It becomes a waste of 21cp, because it seems a bit much request that the entire party voluntarily take on a -20cp Disad (Deafness) just to the Bard can use one ability.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

One piece of advice I gave in an old 3e Black Ops campaign (no, really . . . wait for it) is that the characters' skills were high enough that they needed to think about purposefully trying to engage from large distances. They could eat range penalties for breakfast, but most of their opposition could not.

In this case, if you're planning your party as a group, or with a bit of discussion, if the PCs all take nice boosts to Will or other Fearless-type help, then they can withstand the song. If they have some advance planning and the Bard is the leader, perhaps they can use Luck or Tactics-based rerolls to ensure they make such a roll.

For house rules, perhaps the Bard can take penalties to his skill to give bonuses to his friends Fright Checks - he's composing songs specifically to frighten his foes.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Refplace

Yeah a little advance planning goes along way towards mitigating the effects on the party.
Another tihng is an experianced party of delvers would have good Will and Fearlessness to resist and a swarm or mob of bad guys much less likely to resist.
Not for use on Boss mobs, its mainly a power to scare off hordes.
Hordes can be very hard for warriors to handle in GURPS.

Edit: In reply to your earplug reply. Who needs them in all the time? The Bard just has a code word (or the leader) that says ok Bard use Terror now, everyone else put in your ear plugs!
That is likely just a Ready maneuver.
That is what I consider proper advance planning.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
trooper6

But this is DF where you follow templates for creation and advancement.

The only Templates with Leadership are Holy Warrior and Knight, which means the Bard isn't going to be the Leader.
The only Templates with Fearlessness are Barbarian, Cleric, or Holy Warrior which leaves out a whole bunch of other Templates.
The Cleric, Holy Warrior, and Martial Artist can buy extra Will...the Wizard already has it...but that isn't going to help the Knight or Thief.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
But this is DF where you follow templates for creation and advancement.

The only Templates with Leadership are Holy Warrior and Knight, which means the Bard isn't going to be the Leader.
The only Templates with Fearlessness are Barbarian, Cleric, or Holy Warrior which leaves out a whole bunch of other Templates.
The Cleric, Holy Warrior, and Martial Artist can buy extra Will...the Wizard already has it...but that isn't going to help the Knight or Thief.
I dont have the whole series, just DF 1, 3, 5, 9, 10 and DF Monsters.
But dont they get Will in Power ups?
Seems likely for the Knight and if the thief does not get it well then he relies on the ear plugs or getting out of range.
Assuming you even have all these in your party.
Becasue a power is not useful in all situations does not make it useless.
It should not be the primary go to power for your typical Bard but I think it works as a powerful ability in the right circumstances.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Edit: In reply to your earplug reply. Who needs them in all the time? The Bard just has a code word (or the leader) that says ok Bard use Terror now, everyone else put in your ear plugs!
That is likely just a Ready maneuver.
That is what I consider proper advance planning.
So you'd have: -- For this we are going to have to assume the PCs travel in the dungeons with their weapons sheathed and ear plugs in their hands at all times.
GM: You turn the corner and come across a horde of goblins.
Knight: "Everyone put in your earplugs!"
Knight: I ready earplugs.
Wizard: I ready earplugs.
Cleric: I ready Earplugs.
Thief: I ready earplugs.
Bard: I sing Terror.
GM: Some of the 10 Goblins have various effects, the rest of them..who have their weapons already out attack you all. (that is resolved which involves the PC defending without ready weapons...and it is bad).
Knight: I ready my weapons and Shield (I have the Dual Ready Perk)
Wizard: I start casting a spell.
Cleric: I ready my weapons.
Thief: I ready my weapons.
Bard: I sing more Terror.
GM: More attacks on the party by Goblins
Finally, in round 3 the rest of the party can start attacking.

The trade off doesn't seem good.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #29
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Becasue a power is not useful in all situations does not make it useless.
It should not be the primary go to power for your typical Bard but I think it works as a powerful ability in the right circumstances.
It just doesn't seem to be useful in any situation except one where the Bard is Solo...in which case it might be very useful indeed...but 21cp is a lot for a power that is going to screw over your party either because they have to adventure deaf (which is a -20cp Disad), or because they have to spend precious seconds readying earplugs and then rereadying weapons rather than attacking, or because they try to rely on their Will instead and may succumb to the fright checks.

Last edited by trooper6; 01-26-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Cuddle_Fish

Trooper, it seems like that scenario only holds if the goblin horde is already basically on top of the party such that they can be on them in a single second. If you're already having a big old mosh pit with the enemy then yeah, anything but melee combat will probably go poorly. But if they're far enough away that you have a few seconds to react, measures like that can be taken more easily.
Cuddle_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bard, bard song, bardic talent, dungeon fantasy, terror