Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Default Illusion (Extended) & Detect

How could I used the Extended modifier for Illusion (Powers 95/94, respectively) to allow a character to create illusions that appear using Detect? The description for Extended says that it costs (Point value of the sensory advantage)%, but something like Detect is variable and can be many, many different things. Any idea how to price the enhancement?
01010110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Celti

Default Re: Illusion (Extended) & Detect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
How could I used the Extended modifier for Illusion (Powers 95/94, respectively) to allow a character to create illusions that appear using Detect? The description for Extended says that it costs (Point value of the sensory advantage)%, but something like Detect is variable and can be many, many different things. Any idea how to price the enhancement?
As written you'd have to add a version of Extended for every kind of Detect you want to fool: "Extended, Detect Fnords" would allow you to fool Detect (Fnords). If you want to fool any kind of Detect I'd price it based on the cost of a Very Common category for Detect and then slap on a +300% Cosmic.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
I don't have my books available, but I seem to recall that that valuation was only for extensions of the visual or auditory types. Other senses are supposed to follow the more normal +20% per Extended version, I believe.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
PK

Extended states, "Totally new senses cost +20% apiece." That said, it's worth noting that it's +20% per sense, not per broad type of sense -- in other words, you spend +20% to add "Extended, Radar," not "Extended, Scanning Sense."

Because of that, each +20% class of Extended should specify one broad type of Detect that it fools. For example, if your Illusion has "Extended, Detect Life (+20%)," your illusions of living beings register as real to Detect. If you add "Extended, Detect Energy (+20%)," then any emissions your illusionary technology should have, it does have.

Finally -- and this is more of a judgment call than a rules clarification -- if you want to fool every single version of Detect, I think that's fair as "Cosmic, Extended on All Detects (+100%)." Effectively, it's like saying that once you can fool five, you can fool 'em all. Or, as the critters from GURPS Bunnies and Burrows would say, "It's just normal counting! 1, 2, 3, 4, lots!" :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Incidentally I find it a bit of a stretch for an illusionist to successfully craft a flawless facsimile of an object that can fool a sense that illusionist never had.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Incidentally I find it a bit of a stretch for an illusionist to successfully craft a flawless facsimile of an object that can fool a sense that illusionist never had.
The illusionist in question is a superhero, her power doesn't let her craft magical illusions that she has to construct, she can just create perfect imitations of... anything, really.
01010110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
The illusionist in question is a superhero, her power doesn't let her craft magical illusions that she has to construct, she can just create perfect imitations of... anything, really.
So...how does she do it?
Old 10-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
So...how does she do it?
She's just got it, that 'je ne sais quoi'. It's magic.

Seriously though, are you asking how fictional superpowers work?
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
She's just got it, that 'je ne sais quoi'. It's magic.

Seriously though, are you asking how fictional superpowers work?
Yes. In order to design a power well you should first have a clear understanding of what it is and what its limitations are. Her imitations clearly aren't perfect because they aren't solid where the original object was. So why that imperfection and not others?

Tags
detect, illusions