Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
tantric
Banned

Default Possible new Trait - Low Latent Inhibition

The skinny - low latent inhibition. I've been thinking about this 'cause I have a new therapist. In our first meeting today, I talked to him for half and hour, then asked if I could do an experiment. I grabbed a cushion and covered the design on my shirt and asked him what it was. He had no idea, of course, because the overwhelming majority of people are not compelled to read every bit of text and parse every image. It's not exactly diagnostic, but most compulsive readers have LLI.

LLI is an interesting trait because it's somewhat of an advantage if you have the IQ to handle it. "It is hypothesized that a low level of low latent inhibition can cause either psychosis or a high level of creative achievement[11] or both, which is usually dependent on the individual's intelligence." - Wikipedia. I'm guessing that's the five point version. The second level would be scary. Still, it's a good fit for a lot of PC's - consider a thief who is constantly aware of every facet of his environment.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: Possible new Trait - Low Latent Inhibition

Seems like perception covers this already. I don't see a problem with rolling it for past things to see if you perceived them.

NPC: "What design is on my shirt?"

Do I know GM?

GM: Perception roll.

Fail.

GM: You didn't notice.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Anders

I think I would call that the "Versatile" trait with a certain origin - but the origin doesn't modify the trait itself. And for the negative trait there could be any number of possibilities - delusion, paranoia, bad temper, etc.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Adversary

Maybe a time-limited version of eidetic memory, so that you don't remember things forever, but remember details of the last half-hour or hour that most wouldn't?

"That guy on the train is the same guy from the store earlier, in a different jacket and hat. I'm being followed."

"There are three exits to this building, and 50' to the right of the side entrance there is a motorcycle parked that would make an ideal escape vehicle."
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
GodBeastX

Not sure it's Memory. Seems more like you're ignoring information instead of trying to accept it, that's why I mention perception which is directly attributed from IQ anyway.

Perception, in my own opinion, feels like it's exactly what is being considered. People get the same sound waves reaching their ears, the same pheromones reaching their nose, light waves reaching their eyes, why does one person notice something the other doesn't? It's your manner of processing all these stimuli.

It's like those Mind Game images, where you are looking at something and it doesn't register what you're seeing. Go ahead and search google images for "When you see it".
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Anders

Right. Human working memory is sharply limited - eight items is a commonly cited number for what we can keep there at ones. So in order to deal with this we have a sophisticated system for selecting salient features and ignoring the rest (there are also other work-arounds, like thinking about "dogs" rather than "Rover, Fluffy, Alvin, etc.") So selection is necessary. There's a huge difference between perceiving something and noticing it.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Varyon

It actually sounds something like an SOP Perk - you always make note of everything in your environment, so if something leaves, you notice, and have at least a decent idea what that something was. It's probably a bit too broad for a Perk, however, so I'd be comfortable with calling it [5] or so. It should probably have a prerequisite of Enhanced Time Sense, Per 12, Short Attention Span, or Distractible (any one will do).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It should probably have a prerequisite of Enhanced Time Sense, Per 12, Short Attention Span, or Distractible (any one will do).
Confused fits as well.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
tantric
Banned

It really has little to do with memory. Test for LLI: set up a room with a video camera. Have your test subject put on a blindfold. Have the research take the test subject into a new room, one filled with books, posters, a TV that's on and a computer doing something mysterious. The subject removes his blindfold and the researcher proceeds to chat with him. Later, check the video. If the subjects eyes are constantly going between the chatty professor and the books, posters, etc, he's probably LLI. Or you could just put him in a room with several TV's on different channels and watch him have a breakdown.

Yes, greatly increased perception is part of it, but people with high PER don't go ******* with sensory overload. People with high PER and low IQ aren't more prone to mental illness. Does GURPS have a creativity stat? It would also drastically improve some skills - maybe make them based on PER. It's also perfect for the crazy genius archetype.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Yes, greatly increased perception is part of it, but people with high PER don't go ******* with sensory overload. People with high PER and low IQ aren't more prone to mental illness. Does GURPS have a creativity stat? It would also drastically improve some skills - maybe make them based on PER. It's also perfect for the crazy genius archetype.
It has the Versatile advantage (p.B96), which could easily be made into a leveled advantage. In a cinematic campaign, Gadgeteer (p.B56) is another possibility.