Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: Turning Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yeah, I generally would avoid defining a whole new class or spell system for religious spellcasters except when I really wanted that for some game setting where there's some distinction I want for them.

I quite like the reduced specialized variant of Remove Thrown spells that only undoes zombies and so could be lower IQ & ST cost and known by people trained to deal with zombie problems.
I actually agree as well and I may end up going this direction myself, but I still want to see if can make my 'Heroic Exploit' variant work. The undead are going to be a major element in my campaign so some type of channeling of divine/positive energy will be needed.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160708
Old 11-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #22
TippetsTX

One of the issues I have with some of the solutions I've seen on these forums is the attempt to turn 'faith' into a talent. I think faith should be a role-playing choice and not something we attempt to apply mechanics to (at least not directly). As I've stated previously, the Priest/Theologian talents are really more about the 'business of religion' or the training in religious rites and tenets that one would associate with organized religious sects and as such, they do make sense as prerequisites for spells that might be learned in the context of those performances. It would be a mistake, however, to limit the practice of faith to only those characters who select those talents which leads to my conundrum in trying support faith-based powers using the existing spell/talent paradigm.

Hence my attempt to come up with a third option.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #23
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
I am sorry that you find the ideas so lacking in credibility
No, I should apologize since my intent was not to criticize or imply that your approach is lacking in any way. I find a great deal of inspiration in your ideas as well as others posted in this forum. I was simply trying to articulate some of my own hang-ups and biases as I attempt to find a solution that will work for the kind of campaign I want to run.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #24
platimus

Quote:
Trying to add something to a game system that seems to have gone out of its way to deter it, is difficult. All I initially wanted to do was to try to find a way to play some of the abilities of a paladin or cleric in a game system I really enjoy. What I have now, thanks to the discussions on this forum feels better. I felt compelled to keep the Piety talent, just as a hook to hang the powers on and because I didn't want every holy fighter or whatever having to be a Priest just to get access to them.

The Avert spell ideas and the Remove Thrown Spell variants seem like they would duplicate the effects of Turning Undead and Disrupting Undead, but for me, somehow, they don't have the right feel. If I had thought more before I started dabbling, I might have stumbled on them and would feel differently. Now, I'm reluctant to just toss it all into the circular file.
I like what you're doing now that they are essentially spells. I liked your original approach to the Piety talent though (from an older thread). I don't like hanging the spells on it as I understand it here. I would suggest going back to your original Piety approach but "The Church" might use your piety level to determine what "holy spells" they will teach you. You can assign whatever IQ requirements you want to those "holy spells".
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #25
platimus

Quote:
PIETY IQ 8 (1)
A pious person will spend a certain amount of time each day praying. I am setting an arbitrary rate of one hour per day. AT the end of an hour of prayer her rolls one time on 3D6 vs IQ. Success grants benefits below. Failure requires atonement. Additional hour of prayer, rolling once to raise your result one level, maximum improvement in one day one level. On following day, your prayer roll is -1 unless you spend an additional hour of atonement.

3 All spells that are known are available
4-5 Any IQ 13 or lower known spells are available
6-15 If roll succeeds, any known spells of IQ 9 and 10 are available
16-17 Only IQ 9 spells are available
18 Your are in hot water with the church. Spells denied.

IQ 9 Detect Good/Evil, Protection from Good/Evil, Turn Undead/Command Undead

IQ 10 Lesser Harm/Lesser Heal

IQ 13 Turn Undead II/Command Undead II *, Bless/Curse *, Harm/Heal *

IQ 14
Greater Harm/Greater Heal **, Exorcism **, Disrupt Undead **, Geas**

* Access to these spells requires Priest as well.
** Access to these spells requires Theologian as well.

Something like this perhaps. It does make it more than a hook and adds to the feel of being faith based.
I'm talking even older. I'll see if I can find the thread/post. I might be misremembering though.

EDIT
Found the thread but looks like you deleted the post. Basically, your original Piety (I commented that it seemed too crunchy to me at the time) was something like: You pass a check and you get some bonuses to certain things or karma points or something. There were a lot things in the list but none of them were spells/powers. And you mentioned that the GM would make it as a secret roll so you didn't know what the benefit was...you had to "take it on faith".

Last edited by platimus; 11-21-2018 at 08:15 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #26
platimus

Quote:
Sorry to drag this out, but I think I've got it now.

PIETY IQ 8 (1)
A pious person will spend a certain amount of time each day praying. I am setting an arbitrary rate of one hour per day. At the end of an hour of prayer her rolls one time on 3D6 vs IQ. Success grants benefits below. Failure requires atonement. Additional hour of prayer, rolling once to raise your result one level, maximum improvement in one day one level. On following day, your prayer roll is -1 unless you spend an additional hour of atonement. Missing one or more daily prayers also gives you a -1 unless you spend an equal number of hours in atonement.

3 Any spells +2 to hit
4-5 Any spells +1 to hit
6-15 No effect hit or miss
16-17 Any Spells -1 to hit
18 Any Spells -2 to hit.
Note: GM can apply a bonus or penalty to this roll based upon players conduct in preceding game day.
IQ 9 Detect Good/Evil, Protection from Good/Evil, Turn Undead/Command Undead
IQ 10 Lesser Harm/Lesser Heal
IQ 13 Turn Undead II/Command Undead II *, Bless/Curse *, Harm/Heal *
IQ 14 Greater Harm/Greater Heal **, Exorcism **, Disrupt Undead **, Geas**
* Access to these spells requires Priest as well.
** Access to these spells requires Theologian as well.
Yeah, something like that.

But now I'm tempted to turn Piety into some kind of religious form of the Wizard's Staff spells but less powerful and applies to holy symbols. I dunno. My brain is starting to slack-off. I might start another thread for that sometime.

Last edited by platimus; 11-21-2018 at 09:09 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #27
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Yeah, something like that.

But now I'm tempted to turn Piety into some kind of religious form of the Wizard's Staff spells but less powerful and applies to holy symbols. I dunno. My brain is starting to slack-off. I might start another thread for that sometime.
I thought I read a thread somewhere that proposed this very thing... something about Talismans.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #28
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I thought I read a thread somewhere that proposed this very thing... something about Talismans.
Don't know. I proposed something similar when Steve was posting about the new Staff spells.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #29
TippetsTX

Looking for feedback on my Channeling power set which includes some anti-undead abilities.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=57