Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
KDLadage

Default Legendary RPG

In another thread (D&D 4e GSL), I stated that it is possible, based on my non-lawyer-reading of the OGL, to reproduce the v3.5 rules set without violating the license. Granted, copy-paste of copyrighted material not included in the SRD would be a no-no. But barring that, this is possible, and legal -- and so the work being done on the Pathfinder RPG is not really needed.

I was told it could not be done legally.

So this is my experiment. I am putting together a fully functional RPG that is the v3.5 rules set, with the addition of a character generation system, experience reward system, and character advancement system. All of these are in keeping with the rules of the SRD (meaning, that the XP rewards system is in line with the XP costs for some spells and item creation feats, for example). They are non-obtrusive and completely seamless.

I am almost done with the formatting of the document for print -- the spells section is taking me a little longer than I had hoped, but progress is steady. Once it is completed, I will put it up on LULU. I will be getting nothing -- in other words, the PDF will be downloadable for free, and the printed document will be nothing more than LULU's printing fees.

This thread will keep you updated.
KDLadage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
KDLadage

Default Re: Legendary RPG

http://www.lulu.com/content/2582881

This is Draft Version 0.1 (meaning it is the 0th version ready for print availability, 1st one I have posted for review).

In other words, download it (this is free), but do not order a printed copy yet. I still have work to do on the spells section at the end, I still have to add in artwork (which will aid in reducing some of the large amounts of white-space at the end of sections)... and so on.

This is just to show people I am, indeed, working on this.

It is just a painfully slow process. The RTF files of the SRD are not exactly designed to be "print friendly" and so getting all of this ready for printing has taken some time.

Open Office, as good as I thought I was in it, I am learning a lot of the cooler capabilities as I go. In fact, this would be done already had I known as much about OO_Writer at the start of this little experiment as I do now.

This is the "Player's Guide"; the "Game Master's Manual" will be next, assuming anyone likes the Player's Guide and wants me to continue. Then, I will tackle the "Monsterous Handbook."
Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
KDLadage

Draft v0.2 posted.

This draft gets a lot of work done in the Spell Descriptions section. I have about 11-14 pages of Spell Descriptions to go, and that part of the book will be done.

Last things to do after that:

1. Add in artwork
2. Repaginate (add/remove space to ensure headers are not isolated, or left with a single line of text, etc.)
3. Proofread.
4. Proofread.
5. Proofread.

(anyone want to volunteer to help proof this document?)
Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLadage
Draft v0.2 posted.

This draft gets a lot of work done in the Spell Descriptions section. I have about 11-14 pages of Spell Descriptions to go, and that part of the book will be done.

Last things to do after that:

1. Add in artwork
2. Repaginate (add/remove space to ensure headers are not isolated, or left with a single line of text, etc.)
3. Proofread.
4. Proofread.
5. Proofread.

(anyone want to volunteer to help proof this document?)

I could be wrong but I think It would have been easier and more beneficial to you if you were to put this document in a file readable by Microsoft Office or similar then once the formatting and such are completed to open your pdf program and convert the word processed file into a pdf (having already been through your word processor's spelling and grammar check)[note that I am not trying to criticize you]
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99
I could be wrong but I think It would have been easier and more beneficial to you if you were to put this document in a file readable by Microsoft Office or similar then once the formatting and such are completed to open your pdf program and convert the word processed file into a pdf (having already been through your word processor's spelling and grammar check)[note that I am not trying to criticize you]

He's already stated he's working in Open Office. I suspect he's just generating a PDF whenever he updates Lulu.

Basically, you can't do the changes he's described in a PDF, so therefore he must be working in an original document in another platform and exporting to PDF.

Very common trick.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
KDLadage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99
Not sure what you are suggesting that I am doing here... I am editing and formatting the RTF files that form the SRD into a ODT file (Open Office), and exporting that as PDF.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
KDLadage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
He's already stated he's working in Open Office. I suspect he's just generating a PDF whenever he updates Lulu.

Basically, you can't do the changes he's described in a PDF, so therefore he must be working in an original document in another platform and exporting to PDF.

Very common trick.
Correct. This is what I am doing.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
KDLadage

Draft 0.3 posted.

I have done the repagination work for Chapters 1 through 9. I have to complete Chapter 10 in this regard.

I have to add in artwork. I am going through my 250,000+ Clipart Collection looking for appropriate and not-too-silly artwork to include in the final document.

Still doing some proofreading. I am noticing that WotC may have wanted to do some in the RTF files as well (or these are left less than perfect on purpose -- depending upon how paranoid you happen to be).

Coming along nicely. Not as quickly as I would hope. But good, none the less.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
how paranoid you happen to be
Canary trap!
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
KDLadage

Release 1.0.1 is available on LULU now.

This one still has no artwork (sorry -- full time job, full load at school, two small children, and a nasty divorce can all wear on a guy). Artwork is next.

Meanwhile, I will begin work on the Game Master's Manual this weekend.