Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, I've been hoping for an annotated example load out (or whatever the official term is) since MH1 came out and also more advice on the subject, so I was dreaming maybe this book covered such
Maybe Pyramid article.
But really its pretty situation specific so my advice is post a thread RPM/Incanter Spell loads and post the party composition, point level, skills of the mage and likely missions and people are likely to chime in.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
First at all, it's simplified, compared to RPM, with no greater effects and no energy gathering rolls (based on the ideas on Effect Shaping RPM Christopher used on Pyramid). The paths are also quite different, and optimized for the DF world view. Charms as such don't exist, and are replaced by Incantation slots. Think of them as Vancian Magic spell slots ;)

Building the spells is very similar to building RPM spells though, so the experience will make it easy for you to pick it up.
That sounds very different. Nicely done.

Now I want to see a dungeon crawl with as many types of spell systems in it as we can fit.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #23
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Now I want to see a dungeon crawl with as many types of spell systems in it as we can fit.
Well, I guess you could try including Mystic Knights, Saints and Sorcerers too...

BTW, anyone wondering on the names of the Incantation paths, they aren't in the preview PDF, but maybe you should read the index carefully...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Congratulations to Kuroshima and Ghostdancer!
Thanks, Cole. :-)

Quote:
Thanks, this marks our graduation to full blown authors ;) It's been a LONG road, and we had to dodge a large OGRE on the way, but we finally got there!
Damn Quantum Ogre.

Quote:
Can you give an example of how this differs from RPM and why someone who already has RPM moderately internalized would be interested?
Quote:
First at all, it's simplified, compared to RPM, with no greater effects and no energy gathering rolls (based on the ideas on Effect Shaping RPM Christopher used on Pyramid). The paths are also quite different, and optimized for the DF world view. Charms as such don't exist, and are replaced by Incantation slots. Think of them as Vancian Magic spell slots ;)

Building the spells is very similar to building RPM spells though, so the experience will make it easy for you to pick it up.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
The net result is similar to Ghostdancer's "Effect Shaping" variant of RPM from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, but adapted significantly to fit Dungeon Fantasy. For example, the concept of Greater and Lesser effects? Out the window. Gone. Unnecessary. Incanters are expected to make the laws of physics cry on a regular basis. :)
And a lot of other things to. Like an official way to summon critters with RPM, notes on vampiric spells, and much much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Congrats to both authors! Looks like a solid book.
Thanks, Rory. :-)

Quote:
Honestly I already think of Charms as Vancian spell slots in physical form, so removing the intervening step is cool
I thought so. :-)

Quote:
Does it do anything to help with the load out process? That I have found to be the RPM Achilles heel of pain
No. The whole point is that players get to come up with their own spells vs. a standard list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
I'm going to have to buy it just to write a web app for it!
I look forward to it!

Quote:
Well, I've been hoping for an annotated example load out (or whatever the official term is) since MH1 came out and also more advice on the subject, so I was dreaming maybe this book covered such
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Maybe Pyramid article.
But really its pretty situation specific so my advice is post a thread RPM/Incanter Spell loads and post the party composition, point level, skills of the mage and likely missions and people are likely to chime in.
Load-outs are things that you need to decide in game. I give a few exampleson my blog, but they are just that. Examples. I doubt any published work that was just spell load-outs would be in any way popular.

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
It's quite different. It's like a toolkit in metric and standard - some fit the same things, most don't

Quote:
BTW, anyone wondering on the names of the Incantation paths, they aren't in the preview PDF, but maybe you should read the index carefully...
I kind of posted them in my blog thread (it's not anything secret squirrel so I felt comfortable in showing it).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #25
PK

Hey, feel free to leak whatever you want; it's your book. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
Kalzazz

Ghostdancer - Seriously? I don't recall seeing a single example of a spell loadout on your blog, and I've been watching fairly hard for it since its something I've been trying to encourage you to blog about for a looooooong time

I do think worked examples of things are something would be awesome if GURPS did more of, one of my favorite GURPS books ever was GURPS Wizards, since it had fully statted, with gear and name and story, wizards for all the concepts it was demonstrating

I actually even played one of the worked example characters in a campaign!

edit - Since I am the one making silly comments about the loadout topic, I'll try to post one of my own loadouts this eve
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #27
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I kind of posted them in my blog thread (it's not anything secret squirrel so I felt comfortable in showing it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Hey, feel free to leak whatever you want; it's your book. :)
I was trying to be mysterious... Spoilsports...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #28
Pseudonym

Gave it a quick read through, I think it looks fun, and kinda want to see how it would play out versus RPM.

One small thing though, on p.27, Greater Solidify Spirit references the undead path instead of, presumably, the necromancy path.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #29
Kalzazz

Ah, here. This is one of my older ones, but does give a quickie example of what such a thing might look like

The character in question had I think Magery 6, Thaumatology and all paths 18, Aetherism Higher Purpose 3 (the higher purpose of brute mana manipulation, used for say smashing things with mana bursts, brute force 'drown it in energy' dispelling, and so forth), Ritual Mastery (Mana Burst), and also a grimoire of Mana Burst.

24 conditional slots
5/5 Mana Burst
3/3 Mana Burst, +P
2/2 Mana Burst, Magnum
4/4 Mana Burst, Wide
2/2 Warrior Academy
2/2 Shadow Clone
2/2 Mana Armor
4/4 Healing Charms

Mana Burst
Spell Effects: Greater Create Magic.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning + Area Of Effect + Range + Speed.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Mana Burst - This releases a concentrated burst of raw mana burning anything it touches in the blast area in a brilliant blue white flash.

This Casting: Greater Create Magic (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, External Burning 15d (16) + Area Of Effect, 3 yards, excluding up to 2 subjects (3) + Range, 100 yds (10) + Speed, 100 yds/second (10). 150 energy (50×3).

Mana Burst +P

Mana Burst +P - This releases a much more powerful concentrated burst of raw mana burning anything it touches in the blast area in a brilliant blue white flash as intense as the sun.

This Casting: Greater Create Magic (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, External Burning 49d-1 (61) + Area Of Effect, 3 yards, excluding up to 2 subjects (3) + Range, 100 yds (10) + Speed, 100 yds/second (10). 285 energy (95×3).

Mana Burst Magnum

Mana Burst Magnum - This releases a superpowerful burst of raw mana capable of burning many things beyond nonexistence at its touch with a brilliant blue white blast that outshines the sun and sends shockwaves through the mana stream.

This Casting: Greater Create Magic (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, External Burning 82d+2 (106) + Area Of Effect, 3 yards, excluding up to 2 subjects (3) + Range, 100 yds (10) + Speed, 100 yds/second (10). 420 energy (140×3).

Mana Burst, Wide

Mana Burst, Wide - This releases a diffuse burst of raw mana that sears and burns what it touches over a wide area with a blue white light.

This Casting: Greater Create Magic (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Damage, External Burning 7d+2 (6) + Area Of Effect, 20 yards, excluding up to 2 subjects (13) + Range, 100 yds (10) + Speed, 100 yds/second (10). 150 energy (50×3)."

Healing
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight + Healing.

Healing - This spell heals physical damage.

This Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Healing, 5d-1 HP (15). 81 energy (27×3).

Shadow Clone
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Duplication, Clothes, share + Subject Weight + Duration.

Shadow Clone - This spell splits the train of reality into two (or more) possibilities of the target, which coexist until expiration when they merge back together. The possibility has ordinary clothes, nothing more, but can acquire some of the originals items as they split.

This Casting: Greater Transform Crossroads (8) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Altered Trait, Duplication, Clothes, share (37) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 1 day (7). 180 energy (60×3).

Mana Armor
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, DR 5 + Altered Trait, 4d burning innate attack + Duration.

Mana Armor - Encases the subject in a crackling roiling haze of blue mana that burns what the target strikes and protects them from harm.

This Casting: Greater Create Magic (6) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Altered Trait, DR 5 (25) + Altered Trait, 4d burning innate attack (20) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 171 energy (57×3).

Warrior Academy - This is just the Melee Academy spell I discussed in Ghostdancer's blog thread, but for unarmed combat (the character knew karate and had a bladed hand, and was a dragon so could shift into draconic form and used karate with Dragon Style Kung Fu!)

Also had 24 slots for alchemicals
10/10 healing potions
4/4 protection cold potions
4/4 Dragon Teeth (skeletal warrior)
4/4 Mana Burst Grenade
2/2 Healing +P Potion

I can't find my writeup for the Dragon Teeth and Protection Cold offhand, or any of these
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #30
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Gave it a quick read through, I think it looks fun, and kinda want to see how it would play out versus RPM.

One small thing though, on p.27, Greater Solidify Spirit references the undead path instead of, presumably, the necromancy path.
Darn it! (said the embarrassed editor).

Share any other goofs you find and we will do an errata fix after giving it a week or two so they can all shake out.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy