Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
pyratejohn

Default Security Station

I spent a good nine hours of my Father's Day running my wife and kids through Security Station. After the TPK that was their first fight, we decided to "reboot" in their last room AND break the rules by adding a Tank and a Master Physicker as npcs (technically, it is an adventure for three). From that point on, I'm fairly sure everyone had a great time. However... they haven't been able to find the exit. Does anyone know if there is a route map for the station showing which room connects to which? And if so, would it be shareable without violating someone's copyright?

Thanks!

And a link to a pic of the first fight that would be the TPK.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&l=f2d0d25151

Last edited by pyratejohn; 06-17-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo
pyratejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Security Station

Hi Pyrate John,
Good for you. Sounds like fun!

There was errata for Security Station, which I wrote down in my books. The following two paragraphs were wrong.

#17. You come to a 3-way intersection. You can go west (184), east (265), or up the stairs to the north (90).

#96. You are in room 303, Project Coordination, see map. Roll 1 die. on a result of 1 to 3, go to (339). On a result of 4 or 5 go to (318), on a 6 go to (52).

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
pyratejohn

Thanks, Rick. I'll make a note of those. If that doesn't fix the loop they seem to be caught in, I'll backtrack from the exit room and figure out where things went wrong or what corridor they missed.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
Kirk

We always had trouble finding our way out, the errata might have been the difference, canīt remember, but it does bring up a point about programmed adventures.

The numbering system and paragraph references have to be exact in the adventure, and have to be recorded exactly or chaos ensues. QA has to be spot on to ensure a working and fun adventure.

When we were younger we tried to map SS, but it is made more difficult by the transport doors which donīt directly connect as in a regular dungeon crawl.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
pyratejohn

Lunch is over, but I spent a good part of it trying to untangle the mystery. I do believe it has something to do with the errata, or at least I hope it does, because backtracking from the exit room took me into another loop, since the east transport gate that doubles back into the four-way intersection.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
luguvalium

I didn't like Security Station, but I liked the idea of Security Station. I can imagine bored Mnoren becoming collectors of items ( and people ) from across the metaverse placed it oddly constructed castles and labyrinths, and kept, for a while, in pristine condition, waiting. Then Mnoren went on to further journeys, like a forgotten Minecraft server, the castle walls fell, and labyrinths were raided by adventurers with no knowledge how to appreciate the Mnoren's museum.

I hope that an adventure is published that has the feel of Security Station but will be much better.
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
KevinJ

Choose your own adventure books have always been hit or miss for me. I have some of the old 1E AD&D books that are pretty mediocre, since you either make lucky choice and move on or make an unlucky choice and die. The best of thise genre, that I played, were the Lone Wolf books. While they still had some "You die" endings, most of the sellections hinged on having an item or a skill and combat was easily resolved with a die roll or the random number page in the back of each book.

I never saw Security Station, since the FLGS was The Flying Buffalo in tempe and literally 100 miles away, I was lucky to get TFT books there.

I would hope that such products also see a reprint (for the updated rules set), either in the orginal form, as GM run adeventures, or both. The same for all the old Microgames for TFT.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 AM   #8
pyratejohn

Unfortunately, I seem to recall reading that everything post-Death Test 2 is not part of the re-acquired rights.

And I still haven't figured out where they took the wrong turn. I need to go about this in a more systematic fashion. The irony is I'm a professional cartographer. You think I'd be able to figure this out lickety-split.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
I didn't like Security Station, but I liked the idea of Security Station. ...

I hope that an adventure is published that has the feel of Security Station but will be much better.
Hi Luguvalium,
I totally agree. What made the Mnoren and Cidri most different from other fantasy games was the fusion of weird science with the normal fantasy trappings.

But Metagaming totally failed to take advantage of this unique selling point. Security Station was the ONLY product that had the idea of cool science in it, and the artifacts you could get were lame. On top of that, the adventure was buggy, and had a death trap in the final room.

A great product that showed how to figure out and integrate weird science to the game would be an awesome addition to the product line.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
zot

Yes. More science fantasy, please!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote