Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Jason

Default Introductory Adventures

How do you introduce new players to In Nomine?
How were you introduced?
(Or, how do you wish you were introduced?)

I ask because I have TWO sessions planned this month to introduce new players to the game, and I've already used up my other introductory adventure seeds. Yes, yes, I know I could re-run things, but I've got a couple returning players mixed in, so there's no way I could set it up right now without somebody playing an adventure they already ran. I like variety, anyway. And yes, I do own a ton of IN books, but I forget which ones have good introductory adventures, rather than adventures for ongoing campaigns...

Personally, the first time I played In Nomine, I was the one running it. (I'd won the core rules from the SJ Games MIBs at Arisia in 2001 for my performance in a game of Toon. Thanks, Dan & Viv.) Now I like to introduce new players to it with a one-shot that lays out the basics of angels, demons, AND ethereals, if possible, ideally with a bit of light humor. So far this has included "A Symphonic Disturbance on 34th Street" (a story about a mysterious Santa), and "Untitled Horrors" (a story about protecting an author from a Lovecraftian horror of her own making, aided by a generic crime-solving-duo-with-sexual-tension from a TV script she's been working on).

I'm now considering running Charmed Life (potentially with some elements from Cupid's Arrows) for the group with the Creationer dedicated to promoting romantic love ... but I'm stuck on the other one, and open to ideas. All I know about that group is that it will probably have a Mercurian of Judgment, maybe a Bright Lilim of Creation (which should be a fun combo all on its own). Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Introductory Adventures

I was invited to a group that was already running, and started out with a series of one-on-ones between me and the GM that let me explore her version of Madison, Wisc. By the time my angel was in the first all-group session, he had met a few NPCs, got familiar with the landmarks, fallen in love with another angel, and helped out a Soldier the group knew. That last, in turn, began a long career of helping mortals in The Marches ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
ladyarcana55

I was introduced to IN via PbP (Thanks JCD) and I joined with tHEhERETIC's Mile Higher Club game (Thanks for letting wreak RP hell on it) and then joined up with ISDNorden's campaign, the same one RocketMan spoke of. Only it was a later story arc when I jumped in with a couple of other forumites.

I have always described myself as a total RP wh*re, more interested in the story and the RP than the rules. Thing is, I have always had a hard time understanding rules and how to apply them, so I usually just focused on what I do know, roleplaying my characters. I like the RP challenge Dissonance and natures provided.

I decided to try to push myself to run a game of my own and really force myself to understand the rules better. With a lot of help and advice from everyone, I introduced my friends to IN via a one night stand. I've always disliked modules, and with my boys it's tougher because they will read all of the modules they can get their hands on ahead of time, so I was leery about using a module. They do that to get a better feel for the game world, but it was still annoying. I was originally going to run Sorceror's Impediment, but one of the boys read it as he was going through my entire IN collection...even though I told him I was going to run it so please don't read it. He had forgotten that I had told him I was going to run it. I'm not even going to get into how ****** I was. Instead, with JCD's help, I ended up writing one of my own and ran them through that. I was actually happier doing that since it was more in keeping with what I like to do.

Since it was just a one night stand, I pre-generated characters for them so as not to waste precious game time. I made sure there was a bit of everything they could expect from my game so they would know what to expect from me should we ever run a full game. I had a 'syllabus' of sorts so they knew exactly what to expect from me and the game. I told them that I specifically chose In Nomine because it would be harder for the rules lawyers to have their hang ups, and since I wanted to focus more on story than rules, that would work out. The one night stand worked great and we all decided to make it a running campaign.

But I made a bunch of big mistakes and by the second game, it broke the game. By the end of it I was in tears and dreading the thought of even leaving the room to start the game. A lot of the guys here know the story. But, I know what my mistakes were, which is the important thing.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Attercap

Regarding my first experience with In Nomine: I can't recall if I had already purchased the core book or not, but I do remember my first session was at NanCon '97 (one of Houston's many gaming conventions at the time). No one, including the GM, was familiar with the rules and we all created our characters from scratch. Since only half the people in the room knew each other no one was sure of what the dynamic would be. Many "mistakes" were made in those 2 sessions (one angelic, one demonic), but fortunately, we were too ignorant to call each other on it and still had a good time. And I still have fond memories of Maim, my Calabite of Belial, with his intelligence (and impatience) of a 5-year old.

As far as introductory sessions go--for any system--I prefer a one-shot (or two-shot) adventure with pre-generated characters. It usually means that I don't have to worry about not correctly understanding all the rules in advance so don't shoot myself in the foot regarding skills or other point allocation. This also typically leads to a more plot-specific character with at least one plot-relevant feature to their character (be it as a skill, attunement or RP background piece).

It sounds your case is more of a lead-in for a longer-term campaign with already existing characters, so I'm not sure if that sort of situation is even possible--especially if the new players have also already built their PCs. I'm guessing you don't mind a little PC friction given a Mecurian of Judgment and Bright Lilim of Creation in the mix. If you really want to play with that friction, you might consider Joanna Hart's The Pleasure Principal. I've run a derivation of that for a triad of Judges before which turned out pretty well.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
tHEhERETIC

My first game I only dimly remember, but it was more an angels/demons scenario than actual In Nomine. Not that I minded, and I somehow wound up with a set of Superiors books as a prize. Still not sure how that happened. But I read those and got hooked

Sorcerer's Impediments
looks like fun to me, but I haven't actually run it. What I have run are LARPs--initially it was V:tM with angels thrown at it, then more of a crossover, then a crossover with Call of Cthulhu, then finally a game I wrote just for In Nomine as a live game. If you want a copy of that "Night Boat" it did run well two or three times. However, it's structured specifically for LARP and might not work as a tabletop. I later wrote another, Grigori-centric live story but never got a chance to run it.

If you want to, um, borrow the characters and scenario from my PbP you're welcome to them--I'll even give you stats and spoilers. I'd be flattered. You just might want to be sure your players haven't read it much.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attercap View Post
It sounds your case is more of a lead-in for a longer-term campaign with already existing characters, so I'm not sure if that sort of situation is even possible--especially if the new players have also already built their PCs. I'm guessing you don't mind a little PC friction given a Mecurian of Judgment and Bright Lilim of Creation in the mix. If you really want to play with that friction, you might consider Joanna Hart's The Pleasure Principal. I've run a derivation of that for a triad of Judges before which turned out pretty well.
I will take a look, thanks!

I now have so many friends who want to play that it may be less of a serial campaign and more an an episodic campaign -- basically, a series of one shots for whoever happens to be available on any given day. I was surprised so many people wanted to make their own characters, but I figure if it makes it more fun for them, I'll figure out a way to make it make sense. (We now also have an Ofanite of Creation in Service to Dreams, as well. Should be fun for the lone Judge.)
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, adventure seeds, new gamer, tips