Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
HeroPenguin

Default Re: GURPS Matrix

I think the answer after Powers will probably be "GURPS: Ultra Tech". It's just about the only thing left, magic and supernatural abilities will all be answered. Except for the mundane stuff, the only questions left will be technological based, and Ultra Tech will take care of the rest of it. Hurray!
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Libertine

Modular abilities can be a way to have downloaded skills, give it a cosmic enhancement only in cyberspace. And i would have a lot of slots for it too, probably at least 10. The Matrix resistance fighters are around 250 pts and i would say standard agents are at 500 pts with agent smith being in the 1,500-2000 range.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Modular abilities can be a way to have downloaded skills, give it a cosmic enhancement only in cyberspace. And i would have a lot of slots for it too, probably at least 10. The Matrix resistance fighters are around 250 pts and i would say standard agents are at 500 pts with agent smith being in the 1,500-2000 range.
Dude, that's some pretty strong necromancy.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
DangerousThing

Higher Purpose (Thread necromancy)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Higher Purpose (Thread necromancy)
Destiny (necromancy)
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
The Benj

Odious Personal Habit? :P
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech13 View Post
But that is the answer to a different question. 42 is the answer to THE question, "GURPS: Powers" is the universal answer, but it has an expiration date.
Yes, you may use "GURPS: Powers" for the answer to THE question, but only till it is available
which happens to be on a Thursday.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
Kalzazz

Ritual Mastery: Raise Thread
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
Libertine

Mwah, haha!
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
davidtmoore

Since it's been revived, though:

You can approach this two ways, depending on the intended structure of the game.

If the campaign's going to take place entirely (or almost entirely) in the matrix (a la the first film), then the premise is essentially just flavour and the characters' matrix personae are the characters; make them pay for their superhero characters with high stats, Enhanced Move, Super Jump, ATR, ETS and all the rest. Uploading skills is a fairly pricey Modular Ability, with the Operator as stage dressing for how the ability is accessed.

But if the campaign intends to move between worlds (a la the second and third films), then I'd give the characters a gadet-based Jumper (Matrix) advantage, modelled on Jumper (Spirit). Per Powers, "You can
interact normally with the spirits there and use any ability that’s 'standard' for spirits in that world." In this case, the ability to "bend the rules" is a standard for anyone in the Matrix; it just takes an intuitive understanding of that fact, and the knowledge of how to do it.

In that case, "waking up" - understanding the lie that is the Matrix and how to bend or break the rules - becomes Trained By A Master/Weapon Master/Sharpshooter/Heroic Archer/Imbue, with the limitation "Only in the Matrix, -50%." Power Blow, Flying Leap, etc. actually covers a lot of what our heroes can do, and you can add some more skills to pad out the more generally amazing feats they're capable of.

Neo and Smith have a further advantage, priced to taste, that gives access to skills like "Flight" and "Bullet Shield" in the Matrix, which you can perhaps model on spells. You can then add the ability to see digital reality while in the real world, and to manipulate machines, as separate advantages.

The ability to upload skills is trickier, but actually I don't think it applies in the real world. In the third film, Neo and Smith have a fight in the real world, and it's pretty much just undignified flailing with improvise weapons. That said, it can just be a standard ability of entities in the Matrix, which means it doesn't need to be modelled or cost points, making the question of number of slots irrelevant. If you allow an Operator to make a skill roll to upload a temporary skill (with a duration in minutes, or for one "task"), then allow players to spend unspent points to keep an uploaded skill, you can cover that mechanic without needing to model an advantage for it.