Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Rudkin

Default Annihilation and Wandering Monster

This weekend I was playing a game of Munchkin (with Unnatural Axe). I faced off against a monster with a high quantity of treasures and used a Potion of Disbelief on it. Next, someone played a Wandering Monster and the Jabberwock (doubly-good since I was a Dwarf Wizard...).

To save my bacon, I used Annihilation on the Jabberwock, removing it from the game. I claimed that, since I had defeated all remaining monsters (after all, it was as if the Jabberwock was never played), that I would get the treasure from the first monster. The other players didn't feel this was quite right.

The problem was that there was still a floating Wandering Monster card in play. I let them play another monster with it (I'm nice that way). I ended up having to Run Away and lost my chance at the treasure. Ah well.

~~~~~~
The question remains, however: What should we have done?

If a monster in Annihilated, but Wandering Monster remains, do you just discard Wandering Monster, or can a new monster be played? What if I Annihilated the Wandering Monster?

In either case, would the extra card be returned to the player's hand or discarded?
Rudkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
StaticHamster

Default Re: Annihilation and Wandering Monster

I have always played it that if you Annihilate a card, all other cards that become illegal because of that Annihilation are discarded.

So....

When you Annihilate the monster brought in by the Wandering Monster card, the Wandering Monster card gets discarded as well as any enhancements that have been played on it.

If on the other hand you Annihilate something else....a Enhancement for instance, all other cards remain in play.

I find its the path of least headaches.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
Nixel

I'd have to agree with StaticHamsters, the Wandering Monster lets you play a monster, it doesn't like keep it open for a monster.

I believe it says "Play this card, with a monster..." so once it's been played, it has been played with a monster and if the monsters disappears, then you can't play it again.
Nixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

More to the point, the Wandering Monster, once used, should technically be discarded, as it no longer needs to be anywhere in play (it's not providing any continuing bonus). Play the card and the Monster, discard the WM, and go on with your business. If, for some reason, cards need to be returned to whomever played them, then fish the WM card out of the discards.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
MunchkinAddictT

this is such an old post , but I just wonder WHY the Annihilation card wasn't played on the Wandering Monster card?? I have done that numerous times. Altho, once played and no longer playable, we would have given the Jabberwock card back to the original hand.

I feel like you should have received the treasure for your first fight. HAHA That's what you get for being a nice guy as you say. My husband says you can't play Munchkin unless you are willing to backstab and curse others and whatnot!
MunchkinAddictT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinAddictT View Post
this is such an old post , but I just wonder WHY the Annihilation card wasn't played on the Wandering Monster card?? I have done that numerous times.
Annihilation would be better used on the monster itself, since, as you said, if it was used on Wandering Monster, it would return the monster card to its owner's hand.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote