Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
FireDragons

Default Interaction between Transferral Potion and Restraining Order

Okay this is a bit of a difficult situation that I couldn't find an answer to doing a search. This came up in a game of Epic Munchkin that my friends and I played on New Years Eve.

Cards Involved:
Hippogriff (Munchkin)
Transferral Potion (Munchkin)
Trojan Horse (Unnatural Axe)
Restraining Order (Clerical Errors)

So the starting information, "Chris" is at level 17 and "Shane" is at level 19 (there is also myself and another player at level 19 but we didn't have any involvement in the problem) and both have various bonuses that let them easily beat most single monsters on their own.

It is Chris' turn and he ends up fighting an easy level 4 monster. He defeats it and gains a level, but he plays the Trojan Horse along with the Level 16 Hippogriff. We did what we could to make him lose against this monster but in the end he was still winning (and with the 2 levels he would win the game). This is where the problems started.

Shane played Transferral Potion and declared that he would now fight the Hippogriff instead, but Chris immediately followed by playing Restraining Order.

Our question is: Since the Transferral Potion forces another player to fight the monster(s), and in this case the chosen target was Shane can the Restraining Order be used to prevent it? Does Transferral Potion count as being used against you (as is the requirement for Restraining Order) if you are not the player being forced to fight the monsters?

I've tried to simplify the situation as best I could but if you need more info then I'll be happy to provide it. The answer to this question will determine who won our game.
FireDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Nerftw

Default Re: Interaction between Transferral Potion and Restraining Order

*Deleting this as it was very, very not correct. I should double check the card next time*

Last edited by Nerftw; 01-02-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
FireDragons

No, Restraining Order specifically states that no further cards can be played against you by the chosen player that turn and any cards already played must be returned to his hand. So if it applies, then it does undo the effects of cards played. (I'd post actual card text if it weren't against ye ol' forum rules)
FireDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Nerftw

I should always listen to that nagging voice in the back of my head saying "You're forgetting something from the card".
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. . .

See, we of the Munchkin Braintrust have determined, not that long ago, that the original player is still in his turn, that the new player "leading" the combat is not taking a special out-of-turn turn, so he could still play Restraining Order at that time, which would cancel and return Transferral Potion to the player who had played it. The main issue then becomes, where was Transferral Potion when it was played? If it was in-play, and not played from the hand, then it goes back into play, and can be traded to another player who could then play it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restraining order, transferral potion