Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Crias

Default Transversal Potion + Looking For Trouble

Scenario:

On my turn, I kick down a door. It's a class, so I pocket it.

I Look For Trouble against a low-level, then use Transferral Potion to give the fight to a "friend". The agreement is that I will help, get all treasures, and as an elf I also gain a level. Since he is fighting, he gains a level.

Fortunately for me, he keeps his end of the bargain and asks for help with the monster he could have easily defeated. The fight goes unchallenged.

After the fight, play returns to me. The card claims I may Loot The Room.

Question: Do I still get a door card, even though the fight began from me Looking For Trouble?

(for reference, I assumed I did get a door, which was why I concocted the wacky play. I just want confirmation as to whether it was too wacky.)
Crias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Transversal Potion + Looking For Trouble

Well, one can't ask for help if they're winning the combat, so if your friend could easily beat the Monster, you couldn't have helped. I'm not sure why he'd agree to have you help as an Elf and give you all the Treasure, since you'd be getting a Level (if you were allowed to help, which you weren't), just for a Level of his own, but it doesn't matter: He couldn't get help if he could beat the Monster.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Crias

When I said he could beat it, he would have had to use items/abilities. He asked me me for help and gave me the treasures because that was the agreement we made before I transferred the monster to him (effectively giving him a level) and he is a fairly honest player.

However, my real question isn't about that.

Assume that he is fighting a monster that I summoned during my Looking For Trouble due to a Transferral Potion. All other details aren't important. When my turn resumes, do I still get to loot the room?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Your real question is answered by the card, but considering the majority of your question was based on a situation that appeared, for all intents and purposes, an illegal play, I felt that was more important issue to deal with first. I'm not sure what you mean by he would "have to use Items/abilities" to beat the Monster. Do you mean one-shot Items which normally wouldn't be included in his Levels + bonuses? Otherwise, the Items you have in play and are using when you go into combat are, with few exceptions, providing you their bonus and you can't decide to not use them once combat has started. The same can be said of the Warrior's ability to win ties. You don't decide to use it, it's always on. Discarding cards to power Berserking or Turning, are a different story, of course.

Either way, the card tells you what to do. The combat was transferred, and it's just like you hadn't faced a Monster on your turn, so you may take a face-down Door card. The card doesn't state a concern as to whether the player who originally initiated the combat did so by opening a door or looking for trouble, only that the Transferral Potion was played and gave that player some options once the combat was transferred and resolved.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Crias

Stupid iPad "corrects" spelling. I meant to type the card name right.

Anyway, yes I was referring to one-time-use items and, if I remember right, Berserker. I understand the rule you are referring to, and the play was legal as far as I can tell. My friend would have needed to use a potion, or his Berserker, to win. In a normal fight, he probably would have, but he was only in the fight because I "gave" it to him, so he stuck to the deal we struck. No rule was broken.

Thank you for the ruling, that's what I thought. However, the way you delivered the ruling is very belittling. I'm not an idiot. There -is- a difference between kicking the door and looking for trouble. By your ruling, it's as if I didn't look for trouble at all, which allows me to loot the room. However, if you kick down the door, you don't get to kick again. By the card text alone, I believed my ruling was right, and you confirmed it, but it was the contexual difference that introduced doubt.

Please don't make newer players feel stupid, it really hurts the strength of your community. Not all of us can dedicate a large portion of our lives to knowing every ruling for a TCG.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm sorry that you felt belittled by Erik's response, Crias. Both he and I have encountered quite a few players who were unaware that someone cannot ask for help if he is winning the fight, and like him, that was the aspect of the question that I glommed onto first. In any event, card text always trumps rules (except for the very few rules that have to be explicitly superseded, such as using a card to reach Level 10), so you can draw a face-down Door even if you were Looking For Trouble.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
look for trouble, transferral potion