Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Rickarde

Default About "Rocks fall, everyone dies"

In a past game occured a hardly discusses situation about the card "Rocks fall, everyone dies".

A player, needing to break everyone equipment, played on himself "Rocks fall, everyone dies" against a monster with 'death' bad stuff, before rolling to escape.

After failing the roll, some of us discussed about what would happen to everyone if the player would escape. And after minutes and minutes of angry fight, I got some questions:

- This card must be played before or after the roll escape?

- A player fighting a monster with 'death' bad stuff that escapes, will or will not cause death to everyone if this card has been played?

Of course, I think that if anyone plays 'loaded die' or 'reloaded die' to change the status of escape or not, the final result is the one that stays for the purposes of killing all of us. The same with cards that gives automatic escapes.
Rickarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: About "Rocks fall, everyone dies"

Hmmm. Based on the wording of the card, this is one of those weird ones. I'd allow you to play it before or after the roll to Run Away, even if you just died, which would normally force you to forfeit the cards in your hand.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Rickarde

The situation "played even if you just died" guides me to another question or, maybe, strategy against that situation.

Once a player failed to Run Away and someone plays "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Is there a way to avoid our fatal destiny instead of playing "Annhilation" on "Rocks fall..."?
Rickarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
duskblade

Be a "Dark" whatever and get a level for killing them or play the lasT laugh and get a level for dieing or both and get 2 levels and a possible win.

Aside from trying to profit off it I cant think of a way to stop it off the top of my head other than a card to make them auto escape.
MIB #3721
duskblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Gaiuspud

So, I need further clarification. Suppose 3 players are playing. Player B and C make a monster undefeatable and player A dies. Out of revenge, player A plays "rocks fall, everyone dies". Who then starts playing next, Player A or B.

Based on the rules, it says "Your new character appears when the next player begins his turn and can help others in combat . . . but you have no cards. On your next turn, start by drawing four cards from each deck, face-down, and playing any Race, Class, or Item cards you want to, just as when you started the game. Then take your turn normally."

Does this mean Player A's new character appears when its player B's turn. Player B's character appears when its player C's turn, and Player C appears when its player A's turn?

Does this mean when its player B/player C/player A's characters appear on player B's turn and player B will be the first to start collecting cards.
Gaiuspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Whenever a player dies, he comes back to life at the start of the next player's turn, not the turn of the player next to him. So, if two players are in combat and both fail to Run Away from a Monster that kills them, they would both come back to life when the next player to have a turn starts his turn. In short, everyone comes back to life at the start of the next player's turn.

So, in your example: Player B is the next player to have a turn, so everyone comes back to life on Player B's turn, Player B draws his 8 cards, figures out what he wants to do with them, and then opens a door and so on. The same goes for Player C (assuming his turn is after Player B's), and then for Player A.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Tuplis

We had a strange thing happen in our last game. I'm fighting and losing to a monster that has "You are dead" as bad stuff. A level 9 player who has the "dark" race modifier has used abilities and cards against me. I fail to run away and play "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Does he win? I know you can't level up while dead but which one happens first, death or level-up?
Tuplis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Eben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuplis View Post
We had a strange thing happen in our last game. I'm fighting and losing to a monster that has "You are dead" as bad stuff. A level 9 player who has the "dark" race modifier has used abilities and cards against me. I fail to run away and play "Rocks fall, everyone dies". Does he win? I know you can't level up while dead but which one happens first, death or level-up?
I would think that he would level up first, then die.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Grax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuplis View Post
In the wording of Dark it says that you go up a level (and it can be the winning level) if you cause a player to suffer bad stuff which includes death. In the instance that everyone has died, my assumption (and my groups) was that this would entitle the Dark player to gain the winning level, as it is not linked directly to to the after effects of the combat - in essence the Dark player would get the level as an effect of their race ability (interfering in the combat making the player suffer the bad stuff including death) due to the fact that you do not lose your race or class for dieing (with some exceptions)

In Short, it is a race ability - you don't lose the race, and you meet the criteria for the level.

Question/ Comment - If the Dark player gains the level as soon as their victim suffers the Death bad stuff, then he would win prior to the victim's Rock Falls Everyone Dies card has time to take effect.. or would he ~ I am not sure if it is a moot point, but all in all I would assume that the Dark player win regardless of whether he/she suffers the effect of the Rock Falls Everyone Dies..

Last edited by Grax; 01-31-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: question..
Grax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Tuplis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grax View Post
In the wording of Dark it says that you go up a level (and it can be the winning level) if you cause a player to suffer bad stuff which includes death. In the instance that everyone has died, my assumption (and my groups) was that this would entitle the Dark player to gain the winning level, as it is not linked directly to to the after effects of the combat - in essence the Dark player would get the level as an effect of their race ability (interfering in the combat making the player suffer the bad stuff including death) due to the fact that you do not lose your race or class for dieing (with some exceptions)

In Short, it is a race ability - you don't lose the race, and you meet the criteria for the level.

Question/ Comment - If the Dark player gains the level as soon as their victim suffers the Death bad stuff, then he would win prior to the victim's Rock Falls Everyone Dies card has time to take effect.. or would he ~ I am not sure if it is a moot point, but all in all I would assume that the Dark player win regardless of whether he/she suffers the effect of the Rock Falls Everyone Dies..
I'm thinking he shouldn't win and here's why:
I can't play cards when I'm dead which means I had to play "Rocks fall, everyone dies" before I died. To me that means he died before me and because one can't level up when dead (which is explicitly stated in the rules) he couldn't get the winning level from me kicking the bucket.

Obviously I'm biased since I want to win but I hope to get some answers :)
Tuplis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, run away