Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #21
Phase_Shifter

Default Re: Implications of a terraformed Venus/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There is no easy orbital position that is useful for capturing extra sunlight for a planet.
Not even a ring-shaped reflector just outside L2?
Phase_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase_Shifter View Post
Not even a ring-shaped reflector just outside L2?
If a planet with no night is acceptable, maybe.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Titan and Triton are the two largest sources of nitrogen other than the Earth in the Sol System, so it is generally a good idea not to waste either of them (Callisto would probably make a better moon for Venus than either of them). If you want Venus to have an Earth-like atmosphere, you will need to steal around 5e15 metric tons of nitrogen from either Titan or Triton (Titan is closer, but it will most likely be tapped for orbital colony [and Martian] nitrogen production long before you get around to terraforming Venus).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Comets will have nice amounts of ammonia, methane and water. All useful elements for Venus. If you an fix the carbon from the extant atmosphere, then fixing the carbon in methane shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #25
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There is no easy orbital position that is useful for capturing extra sunlight for a planet.
Sure there is. L1. You need a soletta of larger diameter than the world you're lighting, with a world-sized hole in the middle. Those outer rings then deflect light toward the planet that otherwise would have just missed.

I remember seeing a very clear diagram once, but I can't seem to google it. All that keeps coming up is that Terraforming Mars boardgame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
If you want Venus to have an Earth-like atmosphere, you will need to steal around 5e15 metric tons of nitrogen from either Titan or Triton
Well, I guess 5e15 is better than 2e22, technically...

The answer, as always, is wormholes, I guess. Drop one end into the Sun and use the other as a rocket on Triton. The problem is that real-life wormholes would be spherical, so you'd need to engineer a nozzle that can take that much energy. Maybe dropping it into Jupiter would be better? :)

Frankly, since my progenitor society is TL12 and likely at least aspiring to Kardishev II status, are these energy levels really that unlikely for a mega-engineering project like this? I mean, Christ, that's 10e26 W!

Last edited by acrosome; 11-18-2017 at 08:56 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
? :)

Frankly, since my progenitor society is TL12 and likely at least aspiring to Kardishev II status, are these energy levels really that unlikely for a mega-engineering project like this? I mean, Christ, that's 10e26 W!
Production of energy is not the issue. It's control of energy and even the ability to make that energy do pretty much anything you want that is required.

You could give our current society a wall socket that gave them access to the total output of a sun (hopefully somebody else's sun since we're using ours for other stuff) and it would change our economics but not directly change our physics or engineering.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #27
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Production of energy is not the issue. It's control of energy and even the ability to make that energy do pretty much anything you want that is required.

You could give our current society a wall socket that gave them access to the total output of a sun (hopefully somebody else's sun since we're using ours for other stuff) and it would change our economics but not directly change our physics or engineering.
Granted. But at TL12 I think we could assume arbitrarily precise control of that energy, don't you? I mean, hell, I just posited wormholes. We're not talking about our current society, here.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #28
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Granted. But at TL12 I think we could assume arbitrarily precise control of that energy, don't you? I mean, hell, I just posited wormholes. We're not talking about our current society, here.
It isn't even "precision". It's the ability to make that energy violate some inconvenient laws of physics. That's what I was meaning by "control".

For example, some hard science limited societies might have trouble just with the waste heat from 10e26 W.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

When dealing with energies that enormous, even the tiniest of imperfect inefficiencies could cook planets.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #30
AlexanderHowl

The Earth receives 5.5e24 J of energy every year, so if 1% of the energy from a 1e26 W source turns to waste heat, it would produce over 5 million times the heat as the Earth gets from the sun. The atmosphere of the Earth would abalate away within a second, the oceans would boil away within a minute, the rest of the Earth would follow within an hour.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote