Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
lostrobertsandwich

Default Incantation Magic & Vampiric Attacks - Am I doing this right?

I've been tinkering around with some spells using the Incantation Magic, and I'm just wondering if I'm calculating the SP totals correctly.

Vampiric Syphon
Spell Effects: Create Necromancy, Transform Necromancy
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Special
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-1
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 3d Toxic Damage and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 3d, indirect (0*) + Tranform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
14 SP

Greater Vampiric Syphon
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-3
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 9d Toxic Damage, and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 9d, indirect (16*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
30 SP

Vampiric Blade
This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10lbs., to heal its’ wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (0*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1)
15 SP

*Damage Tricks, on page 21 notes that vampiric effects which heal the user on a one-to-one basis "require adding an appropriate Transform effect and double the SP required for the Damage effect."

If the cost of that damage is 0 (i.e. indirect Toxic Damage of 3d), does that mean it doubles to 0? Or should it be noted as a "+100%" enhancement, and thus cost +20 SP, as per 'Enhancements' (DF19, pp21)?

The "Red Blade" spell on pp29 sort of seems to imply that it should add 20 SP if the damage is caused by a carrier weapon, but I'm a bit unsure here.

Cheers!
lostrobertsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Incantation Magic & Vampiric Attacks - Am I doing this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostrobertsandwich View Post
Vampiric Syphon
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 3d Toxic Damage and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 3d, indirect (0*) + Tranform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
14 SP

Yeah, that's correct.

Quote:
If the cost of that damage is 0 (i.e. indirect Toxic Damage of 3d), does that mean it doubles to 0? Or should it be noted as a "+100%" enhancement, and thus cost +20 SP, as per 'Enhancements' (DF19, pp21)?
I thought I put something in there about a minimum of 4 SP if less than 4 SP on external attacks - but it's not there.

Quote:
Greater Vampiric Syphon
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-3
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 9d Toxic Damage, and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 9d, indirect (16*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
30 SP
Also correct

Quote:
Vampiric Blade
This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10lbs., to heal its’ wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (0*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1)
15 SP
Quote:
The "Red Blade" spell on pp29 sort of seems to imply that it should add 20 SP if the damage is caused by a carrier weapon, but I'm a bit unsure here.

Hmmmm. That's combining some stuff in an interesting way. Since this isn't really covered I'd say that if you're adding an effect like this to a weapon then you're going to need to figure the maximum damage of the weapon it can affect and then pay that as a Damage effect. My reasoning here is that the weapon is already doing damage so you don't to pay "its" SP. So an example:

Vampiric Blade
Spell Effects: Create Necromancy + Transform Necromancy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Special.
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-2.
Casting Time: 10 Minutes.

This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10 lbs. and doing no more than 4d, to heal its wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Typical Casting: Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (12*) + Transform Necromancy (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1). 27 SP.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #3
lostrobertsandwich

Sick, thanks man. I thought it looked a bit skwiffy without - something- in there.
lostrobertsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Sick, thanks man. I thought it looked a bit skwiffy without - something- in there.
S'cool. Let me know how it goes in your game. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
starslayer

When I played an incanter, we made extensive use of a ritual much like your vampiric blade spell (our cleric and RPM caster were both somewhat flaky so 'other ways to heal' became pretty useful)

Got to the point we were trying to only knock out or disable a foe or two in combat so that the injured party members could all take turns stabbing it with the enscorreled knife.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
cltchrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Vampiric Blade
Spell Effects: Create Necromancy + Transform Necromancy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Special.
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-2.
Casting Time: 10 Minutes.

This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10 lbs. and doing no more than 4d, to heal its wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Typical Casting: Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (12*) + Transform Necromancy (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1). 27 SP.
How about a Vampiric spell that affects something other than the living? For example, would a Vampiric Weapon that only transfers HP from demons use Destroy Demonology + Transform Necromancy, or would it require an additional Transform Demonology effect to turn "demon death" into "living life"?
cltchrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltchrn View Post
How about a Vampiric spell that affects something other than the living? For example, would a Vampiric Weapon that only transfers HP from demons use Destroy Demonology + Transform Necromancy, or would it require an additional Transform Demonology effect to turn "demon death" into "living life"?
Sure. That's workable.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
cltchrn

Is that a "sure" to the "with" or to the "without" the additional Transform effect?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltchrn View Post
Is that a "sure" to the "with" or to the "without" the additional Transform effect?
Sure, you could use it for just a specific target instead of adding in a Necromancy effect.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
cltchrn

Cool, thanks!

Tags
dungeon fantasy, incantation magic, vampiric attacks