Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #51
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Gamer euphemisms

"Duncan Logic," when you have a very well thought-out and reasoned solution which, ultimately, turns out to be wrong.

"James Logic," when you have an obscure, bonkers, off-the-wall solution, which, while functionally wrong at every turn (or almost every turn), ultimately (somehow) leads to the correct answer.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #52
L.J.Steele

"F*** it. I shoot the wyvern." -- when a player has gotten so bored with endless thrashing over what to do that he/she just acts. "Dang, he shot the wyvern", sometimes comes up in reacting to media heros doing something similar.

"Now that's an aspect" "Must be an aspect" -- used now to describe media characters. (Refers to FATE's aspect system where a character's iconic elements are used to generate tokens giving bonuses or used to compel the character into action.)
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #53
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

"Jerry Logic," when you take gold in jumping to conclusions on plot points then insist that the GM is doing it wrong when new evidence is discovered that renders your hypothesis invalid.

"Keelia Logic," usually anything but. Tends to be hilarious and wrong, but more fun to listen to and extrapolate on. Occassionally incredibly insightful and helpful.

“Bill Logic,” someone has to be wrong in this situation . . . and it isn’t me. Usually cited in response to Jerry Logic (full disclosure: I’m Bill).

"Duh, Dave," said in response to someone making a declaration of discovery that was so blatantly obvious to everyone else, that they didn't see the need to address it.

"You're the shaman, DO-OO something!" Said mockingly after someone makes a ridiculous (potentially deadly) request of another character.

“Scienced!” Blown up. Usually said as “I scienced the hell out of [x]!”

"Don't look at me, I'm just an NPC," said when another PC is trying to avoid being roped into something, obviously, stupid. Occasionally said by the GM to indicate that this NPC will not take actions to drive the plot forward, it’s up to the PCs.

"I'm just here to carry the goat," similar to 'Don't Look at me, I'm just an NPC," usually said as the character.

“Least I brought marshmallows,” said in response to realizing that the current “mission” has crashed and burned. Usually accompanied by actual marshmallows being broken out (amongst the players). Rarely said as the party watches an actual building burn.

No-oo, why would we ever need a T-Sat?” Usually said after someone objects to the expenditure of party funds over something they consider frivolous, but turns out it would be highly useful in the current situation.

“Hold me!” Said during slam/charge attacks (especially in BattleTech).

“Pilgrimage,” making a Pilgrimage to the Porcelain Altar. Just a euphemism for “going to the bathroom.”

“Moo,” Greetings, hello. Also, the correct response to being “Moo’d” at.

“Sure, why not,” or “we’ll go with that” usually said as a dismissive statement to something obviously wrong but offered as a genuine suggestion.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #54
Bruno

"the elevenses" as in "Got him right in the elevenses!" or "Augh! My elevenses!" - groin shot, often as a random hit location table result.

In Werewolf:tA and a number of other games we played in highschool (Including GURPS I might add), 11 seemed oddly common as the number for "groin" on random number hit location table. W:tA designers didn't get the probability curves they were designing with, so kept coming up disturbingly often.

We had one PC castrated by a direct hit to the elevenses, and another take a W:tA Battle Scar to the elevenses (also castration)... after being decapitated and growing his head back in combat like that alien from Men in Black. Because the rules said to roll, and we were in highschool.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #55
Anders

"Showing off the goods" - behave in a sexually provocative manner, usually one which results in swift retribution.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #56
corwyn

In a pulp game, "Castling" was the attempt of one particular character to pull spectacularly unlikely scenarios out of his butt to explain current goings-on. Because our gm flowed that way, they often turned out to be true.

In another campaign, the same player, built almost exclusively on luck and serendipity, once drew a treasure map leading to us the Maltese falcon. We followed it and, lo and behold, found it at the X.

"I [task]ed the hell out of that". Shot, stealthed, enchanted, what have you, on a crit.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #57
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
He failed a Spot check.

Or Perception check
I've been around gamer friends who have used those phrases when we saw a near or almost traffic accident happen nearby.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, euphemism