Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Saabre

Default Doesn't fall unconscious

Is there an advantage you can give a character so that they don't have to make rolls to stay conscious? Specifically I'm thinking for things like golems.
Saabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Doesn't fall unconscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
Is there an advantage you can give a character so that they don't have to make rolls to stay conscious? Specifically I'm thinking for things like golems.
What Kromm had to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Immunity to Unconsciousness [30] is only slightly better than Doesn't Sleep [20], and I can accept its pricing given that Coma is +250% while Sleep is +150% as an Affliction. I also agree that it gives you additional options. For sanely played characters, this isn't the same as Immunity to Being Taken Prisoner . . . the fair cost of which would be the price of Warp (Accessibility, Only when taken prisoner, -40%; Reflexive, +40%) [100], or 100 points, because that's roughly what it does for you. Unconsciousness ought to be a rare cause of capture in plausible stories – most imprisonment should result from surrender by the prisoners, betrayal by their apparent allies, or (at its most violent) grappling and restraint. Thus, I'd be hesitant to price Immunity to Unconsciousness on the grounds that it's Immunity to Being Taken Prisoner. Mostly, it's Immunity to Being Bored While Waiting For Your PC To Wake Up.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Saabre

Thank you, NineDaysDead.
Saabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Donny Brook

Recovery (Reduced Time Lvl. 10, +200%) [30] would divide time spent unconscious by 61440. You would recover from an otherwise year-long coma in 0.7 seconds (i.e. less than a GURPS turn).
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
If it did then I could be taking Reduced Time to speed up the time it takes to recover points from Regeneration!
Kromm has suggested that if you want levels past 10/second. Also for if you want a Weakness worse than 1d/minute.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
What Kromm had to say:
I don't think this quote is adequate to question... Personally I'm also curious how to make character immune to unconsciosness (specifically for failing HT rolls after major wound, or failing HT roll while being on negative HP). For golems, zombies, undead, etc.
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
I don't think this quote is adequate to question... Personally I'm also curious how to make character immune to unconsciosness (specifically for failing HT rolls after major wound, or failing HT roll while being on negative HP). For golems, zombies, undead, etc.
What more do you want? You write Immune to Unconsciousness on the character sheet and charge whatever seems fair. For which there are a bunch of arguments for about 30 points. Resistant/Immune to a very common threat being the simplest one. I suppose you could go with Hard to Subdue +10 (GURPS traits have used 10 = infinity before) and call it only 20 if you are feeling generous.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
What more do you want? You write Immune to Unconsciousness on the character sheet and charge whatever seems fair. For which there are a bunch of arguments for about 30 points. Resistant/Immune to a very common threat being the simplest one. I suppose you could go with Hard to Subdue +10 (GURPS traits have used 10 = infinity before) and call it only 20 if you are feeling generous.
Hard To Subdue doesn't include Doesn't Sleep, which might or might not be desirable depending on the character concept. That said, Hard To Subdue +10 on a character with 10+ HT will do the job in most situations even without calling it "effectively +infinity". As most adventuring characters (the type that would most want "doesn't fall unconscious) tend to have HT higher than 10 for survival reasons, it makes HtS10 that much more reliable.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immune (unconsciousness), immune to unconsciousness, unconscious