Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
supersaiyandoyle

Default DR Inconsistency in Ultra-Tech

Why is it that having arms made completely out of steel, as per bionic arms, awards 2 DR, while having a Reinforced Skeleton gives 10 DR, which is only the bones?

I'm just wondering why having flesh and blood arms filled with carbon fiber-enhanced bones would be more resistant (to crushing damage) than complete arms made of steel.

It seems like obtaining a Reinforced Skeleton awards too much DR.
supersaiyandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: DR Inconsistency in Ultra-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaiyandoyle View Post
Why is it that having arms made completely out of steel, as per bionic arms, awards 2 DR, while having a Reinforced Skeleton gives 10 DR, which is only the bones?

I'm just wondering why having flesh and blood arms filled with carbon fiber-enhanced bones would be more resistant (to crushing damage) than complete arms made of steel.

The limitations on the DR for the Reinforced Skeleton make a significant different.

The DR2 for the Bionic Arms, is full DR, which simply stops the damage, from all types.

The DR10 for the Reinforced Skeleton, is Crushing Only - so doesn't help against cutting from a sword or axe (probably the most dangerous for arms), or piercing (bullets), etc. It's also Tough Skin, which means it doesn't protect against contact poisons, etc - and includes Flexible, so you do suffer from Blunt Trauma, which will be 2 points of damage for the 10 stopped by the DR.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Anthony

What makes you think bionic arms are solid steel, or even steel at all? From the statistics, they're probably made of plastic (and the picture next to them is unrelated to reality). If you want a tougher bionic limb, well, nothing says that bionic limb doesn't stack with reinforced skeleton or subdermal armor.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

The Ultra Tech bionics are more thematic old school cyber-punk than realistic projections of prosthetic science. As with any game, if you don't like some aspect, then by all means change it to suit what you prefer.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The Ultra Tech bionics are more thematic old school cyber-punk than realistic projections of prosthetic science. .
No they aren't. They're much too low powered for a Cyberpunk game.

Even Demi Benson's Pyramid article is on the mild side but it does explicitly have metal arms in it.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
MatthewVilter

There should probably be a way to buy armour for your Bionic limbs. I guess the Tailoring rules would be a start but you should be able to use rigid types.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaiyandoyle View Post

It's about connectors. Take an arm made out of circuitry under a very thin metal or plastic skin. Now attach it to an entirely flesh and blood shoulder.

Is there any reason to think it would tear off or dislocate any less easily than your flesh an blood arm?
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bionic arms, crushing damage, damage resistance, reinforced skeleton, ultra-tech