Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
jason taylor

Default "Targetted" chummy?

Can a character have chummy/gregarious toward specific characters?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: "Targetted" chummy?

What I am trying to get is someone who has an emotional need for the presence of a specific person and if chummy is a general term for this, perhaps a modified chummy could be used for specific people.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Refplace

I would call it a quirk
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would call it a quirk
Yeah, that. If they die, abandon you, etc, you suffer the Chummy/Gregarious penalties all the time until you earn the 1 point to buy it off or transfer your fixation to somebody new. EG: Think of that codependent friend in your life who completely falls apart and becomes useless for a while every time their romantic relationship ends, and then seems totally fine the second they rebound.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Think of that codependent friend in your life who completely falls apart and becomes useless for a while every time their romantic relationship ends, and then seems totally fine the second they rebound.
You have those too?!
Yeah I think thats a real good example.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
You have those too?!
Yeah I think thats a real good example.
Hey, now. Not everyone that feels mopey when not around a loved one deserves such denigration.
With my social phobia the only one I truly feel comfortable with is my life mate. Since nearly all my personal socializing involves her, and humans normally need some interaction, by default I get mopey when not around her for a day or two.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Hey, now. Not everyone that feels mopey when not around a loved one deserves such denigration.
With my social phobia the only one I truly feel comfortable with is my life mate. Since nearly all my personal socializing involves her, and humans normally need some interaction, by default I get mopey when not around her for a day or two.
Sure, but I think the denigration comment was more aimed at the ones who are serial "fall madly in love" types. some people fall apart if alone and are only feeling satisfied when with someone so jump all in at the earliest opportunity. But the relationship fails becasue they are too needy and insecure and have not developed their own sense of self worth well enough.
As a friend you see them make the same choices and mistakes over and over and they just dont seem to learn.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Good thing the bit about codependent rebounders was an EG and not an IE, then, or else you'd have a reason to get all defensive, eh? ;]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
the_matrix_walker

If the character suffers from a -1 Penalty to all IQ based skills whenever not in the presence of a specific person, this is more than a quirk. It's allot worse than the Chummy disadvantage which can be alleviated by anyone!

Now I have no idea how the Chummy cost was calculated, but it has two components it seems, one is the IQ penalty, and the other is the inverted reaction bonus (Which is not negligible, it effectively gives everyone in the world a +2 reaction bonus when dealing with you. Meaning you will kiss butt for their company.

I'm not sure that the inverted reaction bonus is appropriate if you are only craving this one person.

What is the value of "-1 to all IQ based skills"? Probably [-4] or [-6] (IQ-1 (Skill calculation only, -??%) -80% gives you -4)

So take that negative to skills and use the person as a Mitigator and you have yourself a 2 or 3 point disadvantage. (leaving out the neediness of reacting to everyone at +2, if you wanted to include that that'
s a whole other can of worms!) The exact numbers are going to be up to you and your GM

If I was the GM and you wanted both effects, I would probably just double the disad value of Chummy, and when his best-est friend isn't around, the character is going to spend allot of time helping people move.

the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If the character suffers from a -1 Penalty to all IQ based skills whenever not in the presence of a specific person, this is more than a quirk. It's allot worse than the Chummy disadvantage which can be alleviated by anyone!
You have some valid points but what if the person is another PC? Or dependent or ally on a high frequency? I admit I am assuming it to be one of those when I responded with a quirk but barring more info that seems likely.