Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Is it possible ... ?

I Figured theres many times I wonder if something is possible in gurps, and maybe we dont need to create a thread for all of them, we can take the most unimportant ones and ... post here ? =)

Anyways to my question.

Is it possible to make a campaign centered around profissional computer gamers in the future ? Like clans competing in virtual scenarios in a multitude of games and etc...

Can it be done ? What a some of your ideas ?

I was thinking mostly something like split personality where you have several sheets, but how to interlace the gamer's skill with his avatar's skill ?
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Is it possible ... ?

Let the gamer's skill act as an activation roll for Luck-like effects, with penalties or bonuses dependent on how far the desired effect departs from the "game world" that he's currently playing in.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
I was thinking mostly something like split personality where you have several sheets, but how to interlace the gamer's skill with his avatar's skill ?
For that part, I suggest you look at the rules for Guided and Homing Missiles on pp. 412-413 of the Basic Set. If the avatar does a melee attack that's controlled in real time by the player, treat it as a regular skill roll for the player, but as if the player were in the same (virtual) place as the avatar. On the other hand, if the player chooses options tactically and instructs the avatar, then treat it like a homing weapon: The player must make an Aim maneuver to lock the avatar onto a target; but once locked on, the avatar executes its attack routine. You might want to think about having rules for players to define combination moves that they can select when they "pull the pin." The skill in this case would be the avatar's skill.

I think that combat while wearing an avatar is, for example, Karate Art or Karate Sport.

As to entering the game world, this is going to sound kind of arcane, but Plane Jumper with the limitation that leaves a physical body behind in the original plane, and with Glamour, because it's not a real world but a virtual one. You'll find both these in GURPS Powers.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

The great thing about this I think is that you can play a vast ammount of adventures (similar to IW) without worring about "plot" and you can focus all the roleplay on player interaction, and the interaction of the players with the other "factions" of gamers.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
Is it possible to make a campaign centered around profissional computer gamers in the future ? Like clans competing in virtual scenarios in a multitude of games and etc...
Ofcourse. Actualyl, it's jsut a special version of a Multiple worlds campaign.

One way to represent it would be to allow players to buy special abiltities with a "only works in [specifik game] virtual space". You could also, as they are games, require players to take one of a fixed list of templates and ad them to their skills when they enter that specifik game. "I want to play a barbarian".
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Ofcourse. Actualyl, it's jsut a special version of a Multiple worlds campaign.

One way to represent it would be to allow players to buy special abiltities with a "only works in [specifik game] virtual space". You could also, as they are games, require players to take one of a fixed list of templates and ad them to their skills when they enter that specifik game. "I want to play a barbarian".
Sounds kind of like a Modular Abilities, with each package of abilities being a module.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Befuddled

Sounds like Niven/Barnes' Dream Park.

What about using templates along with modular abilities? Templates would represent the base classes in the game they're playing, while Modular Abilities (only allocated at character creation) would represent the XP they carry over from previous games. Newbies would start with only a handful of points while experts have dozens of points from their myriad victories.
Befuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Ravenspath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Befuddled View Post
Sounds like Niven/Barnes' Dream Park.
That was my thought as well. Very good books with lots of fodder for game ideas.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
SuedodeuS

The simplest solution is to determine what skills the avatars have (note - FPS avatars have ridiculous levels of Guns skill and all manner of cinematic Advantages like Gunslinger), then let the players use their Hobby Skill (Video Games) like Tactics is used in Martial Arts, granting their avatars a number of rerolls. For team games, the leader can also roll Tactics (if he lacks this skill, he can instead roll against Game Tactics; see Techniques). Individual games, control schemes (keyboard+mouse vs joystick), and possibly media device (Wii vs XBox 360) would all count as Familiarities. Particular genres (FPS, RTS, etc) would have Techniques.

Techniques: There are three Techniques of note - Game Tactics, Genre Aptitude, and Game Aptitude.

Game Tactics
Normal
Default: Hobby Skill (Video Games)-5
Prerequisites: Hobby Skill (Video Games); cannot exceed Hobby Skill (Video Games) skill.
You know how to use group tactics in a video game, but would be completely lost leading a real group. Game Tactics can be used instead of Tactics in a gaming situation. Buy up this technique as an alternative to having the Tactics skill.

Genre Aptitude
Normal
Default: Hobby Skill (Video Games)
Prerequisites: Hobby Skill (Video Games); cannot exceed Hobby Skill (Video Games)+4
You have played many games of a particular genre, and are exceptionally good at them. When playing a game of a specific genre, roll against Genre Aptitude instead of Hobby Skill (Video Games). You must specialize by genre.

Game Aptitude
Normal
Default: Hobby Skill (Video Games)
Prerequisites: Hobby Skill (Video Games); cannot exceed Hobby Skill (Video Games)+4
You know the maps, the special moves, the exploits... everything about a particular game. This goes beyond mere familiarity. When playing a specific game, roll against Game Aptitude instead of Hobby Skill (Video Games). If the game is also of a genre for which you have aptitude (see above), the bonuses stack. For example, a player with Hobby Skill (Video Games)-14, Genre Aptitude (First Person Shooters)-16, and Game Aptitude (Halo 3)-15 would roll against 17 when playing Halo 3. You must specialize by game.

If the techniques seem too pricey, you could instead build Genre Aptitude and Game Aptitude as Perks (each would give +2 when playing that particular genre/game).

Last edited by SuedodeuS; 08-23-2009 at 12:50 PM.
SuedodeuS is offline   Reply With Quote