Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
Hrothgar

Default Re: Lawyer Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
Law, obviously, and Research. All others would be optional: Public Speaking, Writing, Administration, Savoir Faire, Accounting, Finance, Acting, Area Knowledge, Detect Lies, Current Affairs, Diplomacy, Fast-talk, Intel Analysis, Interrogation, Politics.
I would say this is a pretty complete list, but I want to go a step further and categorize it, as well as add a few myself.

Must-Have skills: Law
Fairy standard skills: Research, Public Speaking, Diplomacy
Tricky lawyer skills: Fast-talk, Acting, Enthrallment, Psychology (might help getting into opponents head)
Criminal layer/Persecutuer: Interrogation, Detect Lies, (Maybe Savoir-Faire (Police) to represent being an ex-cop)
Judge/Exec at Law firm: Administration
Financial Lawyer: Accounting, Finance,

I think lawyers who use skills like fast-talk, acting, and even enthrallment would be good to represent lawyers who use their jury's emotional response to win a case. Not all lawyers use this method, but there are definitely a few who do.

And of course a few advantages that would be fitting/helpful for a lawyer, though not necessary, would be some charisma, higher wealth levels, contacts (police and even criminal contacts seem fitting), voice, extra languages, and Ally (Secretary), and maybe even some favor perks.

Disadvantages depend wholly on the personality. There are very honest and dishonest lawyers, so that will give a large array of options.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
Ulzgoroth

If you're going for the full breadth, my understanding is that patent lawyers can require considerable technical knowledge in their area of specialization.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar
I think lawyers who use skills like fast-talk, acting, and even enthrallment would be good to represent lawyers who use their jury's emotional response to win a case. Not all lawyers use this method, but there are definitely a few who do.
Isn't Enthrallment only appropiate for cinematic lawyers? Plus don't they have a whole number of constraints (mainly time required) that would make them hard to use in a court room?
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth
If you're going for the full breadth, my understanding is that patent lawyers can require considerable technical knowledge in their area of specialization.
This is very true. In my company, we have a few patent lawyers who received a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate science field (Genetics, Molecular Biology, etc.) and then went to Law school for a proper law degree.

So, lawyers who work with criminals, or sort through forensic evidence are likely to pick up some level of Criminology, or Forensics. There are lawyers on the forensic DNA circuit (I work in forensic DNA research) who clearly understand the basics of forensic DNA technology, including esp. the population biology behind it.

Barry Scheck shows up at some of the same conferences that I go to, in fact.

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #15
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

There are plenty of examples of lawyers who are motivated primarily by the desire to do right by society. I've got a friend who is taking a lower salary than he could to work as a Public Defender in a large city, which means that most of his clients are likely to be the most needful of protection--whether or not they committed the crime that they have been accused of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project
Founded and run (mostly) by lawyers. I think that getting the wrongly convicted out of prison, and ensuring that the science supports that decision is a *good thing*. Don't you?

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan

Last edited by sjard; 04-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Lets keep it civil here please

Edited out trollish post and quotes of this post.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 04-12-2009 at 09:15 AM.
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #17
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex
Bluffing during plea-bargin negotiations might very well be Acting too - conveying to the defense team that you have a stronger case than you actually do, or conveying to the prosecution that your defense is stronger than it is. Fast-Talk will get you a certain distance, but Acting is probably better than for the long-term machinations.
True, but with modern discovery rules (at least in the American court system), this only gets you so far. When the other side is allowed to see your list of planned witnesses and evidence -- in fact, *required* to see it -- it's a lot harder to fake the strength of your case.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
Akicita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man
True, but with modern discovery rules (at least in the American court system), this only gets you so far. When the other side is allowed to see your list of planned witnesses and evidence -- in fact, *required* to see it -- it's a lot harder to fake the strength of your case.
Harder, but not impossible. You can always pad your list with more people than you really intend to call, for one.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akicita
Harder, but not impossible. You can always pad your list with more people than you really intend to call, for one.
Yup. To what degree is this Acting versus Intimidation skill, I wonder?

I always got the sense that essentially saying that "here's the evidence for what I intend to charge you with" but also, note that "here's all this other stuff I might throw on the table, and I have the evidence behind it, but since I haven't put it on the table, I don't have to actually show you the evidence" is an act of Intimidation. You're intimidating the target to make a lesser plea, even if your position may not be very strong on the other charges.

-P.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
Yup. To what degree is this Acting versus Intimidation skill, I wonder?

I always got the sense that essentially saying that "here's the evidence for what I intend to charge you with" but also, note that "here's all this other stuff I might throw on the table, and I have the evidence behind it, but since I haven't put it on the table, I don't have to actually show you the evidence" is an act of Intimidation. You're intimidating the target to make a lesser plea, even if your position may not be very strong on the other charges.

-P.
It might be intimidation but it's not really the intimidation skill. The description of the Intimidation skill (B202) states: "The essence of Intimidation is to convince the subject that you are able and willing, perhaps even eager, to do something awful to him." The rest of the description implies that "something awful" is along the the lines of breaking knee caps. And to be honest unless the opposition was very foolish, they'd probably assume the reason for not bringing in evidence is because it's not likely to be useful.

- DW
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lawyer, lawyers