Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Default Lawyer Skills

What skills do modern lawyers have? What would a Lawyer! skill entail?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Lawyer Skills

Law, obviously, and Research. All others would be optional: Public Speaking, Writing, Administration, Savoir Faire, Accounting, Finance, Acting, Area Knowledge, Detect Lies, Current Affairs, Diplomacy, Fast-talk, Intel Analysis, Interrogation, Politics.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
All others would be optional: Public Speaking, Writing, Administration, Savoir Faire, Accounting, Finance, Acting, Area Knowledge, Detect Lies, Current Affairs, Diplomacy, Fast-talk, Intel Analysis, Interrogation, Politics.
It could be argued that "Savoir Faire (courtroom)" is mandatory... knowing what is the "proper" way to interact with the system, address a judge, file a request.

Or perhaps this kind of "procedural knowledge" is subsumed into Law skill (even if you don't learn it in Law school).

I think a lawyer will use Public Speaking, and won't need Acting; Acting is for witnesses :)
Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Last Pawn

I'm going to argue for Professional Skill (Lawyer) instead of Savoir Faire. IMO, there is a lot to any given that either has nothing to do with the How-To skills, or that is applied to to narrow an area to warrant the full How-To skill. How a lawyer interacts professionally with his colleagues or in the court room only really needs a full skill like Savoir Faire if the campaign is a court room drama. Otherwise assume that proper professional behavior is an aspect of the proper Professional skill.

Likewise PS (Lawyer) could stand in for knowing what paperwork to file and when and how to file it. Administration (or whichever skill covers dealing with bureaucracy, IDHMBWM), would be overkill in that case. It could also function as a very narrow Current Affairs for knowing judges and other lawyers. All things that are very narrow subsets of the other skills, and only within the confines of the profession.

Last edited by Last Pawn; 04-11-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Additioanl Thought
Last Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Pawn
I'm going to argue for Professional Skill (Lawyer) instead of Savoir Faire. IMO, there is a lot to any given that either has nothing to do with the How-To skills, or that is applied to to narrow an area to warrant the full How-To skill. How a lawyer interacts professionally with his colleagues or in the court room only really needs a full skill like Savoir Faire if the campaign is a court room drama. Otherwise assume that proper professional behavior is an aspect of the proper Professional skill.

Likewise PS (Lawyer) could stand in for knowing what paperwork to file and when and how to file it. Administration (or whichever skill covers dealing with bureaucracy, IDHMBWM), would be overkill in that case. It could also function as a very narrow Current Affairs for knowing judges and other lawyers. All things that are very narrow subsets of the other skills, and only within the confines of the profession.
This makes sense to me, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for a Law! skill.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Last Pawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23
This makes sense to me, but it doesn't leave a lot of room for a Law! skill.

But wouldn't Law! mostly be to cover all the specialties? That's a hugely cinematic skill right there...
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Pawn
I'm going to argue for Professional Skill (Lawyer) instead of Savoir Faire.
I would argue against this. We must fight Skill Sprawl whenever we can! :)

What does a lawyer know and do? Well, he or she must have knowledge of some aspect of the law, represented by skills such as Law (French Criminal). Most will have Research, too. But, for many lawyers, these are the only profession-related skills they know or need.

As written (Basic Set, p. 204), Law skill means a lawyer knows how to present arguments in court.

Law is going to cover knowing what papers to file, etc. And, as written (again, see the Basic Set), Law obviously covers "courtroom savior-faire." Like Physician, Law is a knowledge skill and a professional skill.

A courtroom lawyer might have Public Speaking...if it's higher than his Law skill, he can substitute it for courtroom arguments. (I understand that it is not normally taught in law school, though. You learn the law, but you don't study rhetoric, etc.)

Many lawyers might have Diplomacy, Intimidation, Fast-Talk, etc. to cover negotiations. Diplomacy seems the most likely; add Savior-Faire (High Society) for really high-priced society-type lawyers.

A partner in a law firm probably has Administration...he is not just a lawyer but a manager. And any lawyer who deals with politicians (or who plans to be one in a few years) might have Politics. Acting is iffy...some lawyers might have it, but if all they're doing is just being polite when they don't really like someone, it might just be Diplomacy.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
I would argue against this. We must fight Skill Sprawl whenever we can! :)

What does a lawyer know and do? Well, he or she must have knowledge of some aspect of the law, represented by skills such as Law (French Criminal). Most will have Research, too. But, for many lawyers, these are the only profession-related skills they know or need.

As written (Basic Set, p. 204), Law skill means a lawyer knows how to present arguments in court.

Law is going to cover knowing what papers to file, etc. And, as written (again, see the Basic Set), Law obviously covers "courtroom savior-faire." Like Physician, Law is a knowledge skill and a professional skill.

A courtroom lawyer might have Public Speaking...if it's higher than his Law skill, he can substitute it for courtroom arguments. (I understand that it is not normally taught in law school, though. You learn the law, but you don't study rhetoric, etc.)

Many lawyers might have Diplomacy, Intimidation, Fast-Talk, etc. to cover negotiations. Diplomacy seems the most likely; add Savior-Faire (High Society) for really high-priced society-type lawyers.

A partner in a law firm probably has Administration...he is not just a lawyer but a manager. And any lawyer who deals with politicians (or who plans to be one in a few years) might have Politics. Acting is iffy...some lawyers might have it, but if all they're doing is just being polite when they don't really like someone, it might just be Diplomacy.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Nice summary! I might add that, if you want a slightly cinematic "Rumpole of the Bailey"-style defense lawyer who's very familiar with the underworld, you might add Streetwise to the list of skills. It wouldn't be part of "Law!" but it could be useful to some attorneys. Of course, attorneys with that skill might not have a high Reputation, but that's another story. ;)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Lord Carnifex

I could see keeping Acting on the list, at least for more dramatic TV-type lawyers. I seem to recall Law and Order's Jack McCoy turning a losing case into a mistrial by acting just crazy enough to convey having a bad day, but not crazy enough to warrant sanction. Sounds like a good Acting roll to me.

Bluffing during plea-bargin negotiations might very well be Acting too - conveying to the defense team that you have a stronger case than you actually do, or conveying to the prosecution that your defense is stronger than it is. Fast-Talk will get you a certain distance, but Acting is probably better than for the long-term machinations.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo
I think a lawyer will use Public Speaking, and won't need Acting; Acting is for witnesses :)
Bluffing is quite important. As is looking knowledgeable when you don't have a clue. Also, acting shocked, irritated, or surprised can come in handy.

Tags
lawyer, lawyers