Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Flying mounts: ST to carrying capacity?

I was browsing through Banestorm this weekend, and I came upon the pegasus in the monster list. I didn't see how much it could carry as a mount, though.

So I went to Characters, and looked up Flight (Winged). Didn't say anything about how much it could carry and still fly.

Where are the rules on ANY sort of flying, and carrying capacity?
Old 01-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Flying mounts: ST to carrying capacity?

It is written up in some Monster descriptions as how much Encumbrance they can carry. Usually up to Light if I recall.

Edited after looking things up.
GURPS Classic Fantasy Folk page 15

Only reference I could fined
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Looking at Basic, there appears to be no default encumbrance limitation on Flight. Encumbrance still has its standard effects as described on p17, I should think, but doesn't outright ban flying at any level. (Though it could de facto prevent flying with Cannot Hover under the right circumstance and flying shouldn't let you lift a load that you can't, in fact, lift...)

I'm pretty sure there's limitations somewhere for maximum encumbrance in flight but I don't see them in Basic. Powers seems likely.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
weby

If you have just the basic flight without any special limitation for maximum encumbrance then you can fly carrying as much as your ST allows.

Thus the ST 20 pegasus can carry quite a lot with a carry on back weight of BL*15=1200lb.. but that costs too much FP so the real limit is BL*10 or 800lb.

Some realistic flyers would be able to carry more on ground than in air and so might have a different limit. That would likely take the form of a limitation to the flight advantage.

The murphys rule effect comes from the fact that "Encumbrance and Move" B17 only talks about basic move being affected and the "Move in Other Environments" B18 specifically says that flying move is based on speed and not basic move.. But we have always just ignored that and penalized the air move the same way as basic move.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Some realistic flyers would be able to carry more on ground than in air and so might have a different limit. That would likely take the form of a limitation to the flight advantage.
More likely Lifting ST (Ground only) and having their Base ST Reflective of their Flight lift.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #6
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
More likely Lifting ST (Ground only) and having their Base ST Reflective of their Flight lift.
That is also a possible way to model it. But having abilities with have a maximum encumbrance level is also a common feature, so both are possible ways to do such.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
So I went to Characters, and looked up Flight (Winged). Didn't say anything about how much it could carry and still fly.

Where are the rules on ANY sort of flying, and carrying capacity?
The key limitation for giving a flying character a "stall speed" isn't winged, it's Cannot Hover. If it has that, it can't fly if it's moving slower than 1/4 its top airspeed. It's unclear if "top airspeed" is supposed to mean Basic Speed X 2, it's "Basic Air Move", or its actual top speed, either Basic Air Move +20% for sprinting, or multiplied by whatever level of Enhanced Air Move it has. Personally, I favour the latter interpretation, because using just 1/4 Air Move leads to some very low stall speeds for most aircraft - though you'll have to tweak the numbers anyway, since there's definitely some super-sonic aircraft that have stall speeds much lower than 1/4 of their max speed.

Flying Move is actually penalized by encumbrance in the RAW, no need for applying house rules to it. See Basic, p. 354, "Flying" box: "Substitute 'air Move' [...] for 'ground Move' (equal to Basic Move). Apply modifiers for encumbrance [...] exactly as you would for ground Move."

So for the pegasus, you can either assume that the Cannot Hover limitation was left off deliberately, for a more fantasy creature-feel, which can implausibly hover in midair (no doubt creating quite the downdraft beneath it!), in which case it can carry up to extra-heavy encumbrance and still fly, albeit at a very reduced pace, or you can assume it should have Cannot Hover on its Flight, in which case it can't carry more than Heavy Encumbrance, because Extra-Heavy would reduce its Air Move to 2.6, less than 1/4 of its top speed of 13.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:08 AM   #8
Bruno

There are real world flying creatures that can definitely fly under what looked like Extra-Heavy encumbrance. At least Heavy.

My grandmother (in Australia) has some kind of parasitic wasps living in her garden; they paralyze a spider the same size as them or even a little bit bigger, and then carry it off to their burrows to lay eggs in. Which is morbid, and a bit surreal as this wasp-giant-deadly-spider combo go droning across the yard veeeery sloooowly.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
The murphys rule effect comes from the fact that "Encumbrance and Move" B17 only talks about basic move being affected and the "Move in Other Environments" B18 specifically says that flying move is based on speed and not basic move.. But we have always just ignored that and penalized the air move the same way as basic move.
Don't forget that in real life, if you encumber a glider, it flies faster, not slower.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
It's unclear if "top airspeed" is supposed to mean Basic Speed X 2, it's "Basic Air Move", or its actual top speed, either Basic Air Move +20% for sprinting, or multiplied by whatever level of Enhanced Air Move it has. Personally, I favour the latter interpretation, because using just 1/4 Air Move leads to some very low stall speeds for most aircraft - though you'll have to tweak the numbers anyway, since there's definitely some super-sonic aircraft that have stall speeds much lower than 1/4 of their max speed.
For characters, I favor Air Move for setting the limit, as otherwise you can buy enough Enhanced Move (Air) to make your character incapable of taking off. To still be able to build such a character, some sort of Increased Stall Speed Limitation - either on Flight or on Enhanced Move (Air) - should be an option.

For vehicles (and creatures/characters not built with character points), they should ideally just have their actual Stall Speed listed, as there really isn't a direct link between that and Acceleration or Top Speed (Stall Speed being a function of the vessel's overall design, while Acceleration and Top Speed take the power of its flight mechanism into account).

Last edited by Varyon; 01-02-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Didn't quite delete the whole post...
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote