Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
tremorlaine

Default Half-Breed/Super-Munchkin question

I have two questions regarding these cards.

1) If I have an Race or Class card in play and then play Half-Breed/Super Munchkin to become a "super" whatever can I in the future add a second race to become two Races with all disadvantages or vice versa...dual Race to a super Race...on the fly. We suspect the answer is yes.

2) Can I play a Half-Breed or Super Munchkin card if I don't have any other Race or Class cards? Normally I'd say no but there is the possibility of being a "super" Human. There is no corresponding benefit for a "super" no Class.

3) Is it just me or have I typed Race so many times that the words no longer looks like it is spelled correctly?
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Half-Breed/Super-Munchkin question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
I have two questions regarding these cards.

1) If I have an Race or Class card in play and then play Half-Breed/Super Munchkin to become a "super" whatever can I in the future add a second race to become two Races with all disadvantages or vice versa...dual Race to a super Race...on the fly. We suspect the answer is yes.
Yes you can. You can play Race and Class cards at any time on your turn and you can discard them at any time on any turn. They aren't attached to the Half-Breed or Super Munchkin card. Note that if you ever have zero Races or Classes in play (except when immediately switching between them), then you must discard the Half-Breed or Super Munchkin card.

Quote:
2) Can I play a Half-Breed or Super Munchkin card if I don't have any other Race or Class cards? Normally I'd say no but there is the possibility of being a "super" Human. There is no corresponding benefit for a "super" no Class.
No. The cards say they would be discarded if you have no Race cards or Class cards. You thus cannot put the cards into play when you have no cards of the respective type (even if you just wanted to discard them).
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
tremorlaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
No. The cards say they would be discarded if you have no Race cards or Class cards. You thus cannot put the cards into play when you have no cards of the respective type (even if you just wanted to discard them).
That's what we finally decided but someone argued that the card actually says to discard if you lost your race(s)/class(es). By not having any initially there was no losing. We ruled that a stretch but there was enough logic in the argument that I had to ask.
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
That's what we finally decided but someone argued that the card actually says to discard if you lost your race(s)/class(es). By not having any initially there was no losing. We ruled that a stretch but there was enough logic in the argument that I had to ask.
The card also says "Play when you have a Race/Class CARD", so the logic is there.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Olin Froid

Can a half-breed or super-munchkin card, or a race or class card be discarded during battle to utilize a Warrior +1 in battle? Can you choose to discard them in battle at all if not for the bonus?
Olin Froid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Heegu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin Froid View Post
Can a half-breed or super-munchkin card, or a race or class card be discarded during battle to utilize a Warrior +1 in battle? Can you choose to discard them in battle at all if not for the bonus?
The berserking description only says to discard cards in general with no source or type mentioned so I would say yes.
Heegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Clipper

You can discard them normally without using any abilities at any time, including during combat. They would also qualify to power the Berserking bonus if you discard them for that instead. Note that your setup must remain legal, so if you are a Super Warrior-Cleric, you cannot discard the Super Munchkin without also discarding the Cleric card.

The only cards in play or in your hand that you can't discard with Berserking are the Warrior card you have in play and any card that says you can't discard it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Olin Froid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
You can discard them normally without using any abilities at any time, including during combat. They would also qualify to power the Berserking bonus if you discard them for that instead. Note that your setup must remain legal, so if you are a Super Warrior-Cleric, you cannot discard the Super Munchkin without also discarding the Cleric card.

The only cards in play or in your hand that you can't discard with Berserking are the Warrior card you have in play and any card that says you can't discard it.

So let's say someone plays the card that gives +10 to monsters against my half-breed (the name escapes me, I remember it has a demon at a pulpit on it). Can I discard my half-breed card to power up the Berserking and then have the +10 be rendered useless against me? Or does it apply regardless of what I do after he plays it? And is that card copied if the monster is mated?
Olin Froid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Dr. Mauric

The card is called Narrow Minded :)
Dr. Mauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Enzzo

Quote:
So let's say someone plays the card that gives +10 to monsters against my half-breed (the name escapes me, I remember it has a demon at a pulpit on it). Can I discard my half-breed card to power up the Berserking and then have the +10 be rendered useless against me?
If you are no longer a half-breed, then you'd be right, the Narrow-Minded bonus would no longer apply :)

Quote:
And is that card copied if the monster is mated?
This question has been asked before, but it hasn't yet received an official response. I would think Narrow-Minded would be copied by Mate, since Narrow-Minded is a monster enhancer. However, it has been ruled that Narrow-Minded is not a monster enhancer for some purposes, so I am not sure.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote