Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
MunchkinMan

Default Re: some questions from a new player (mostly on wandering monster card)

Rather than try to correct things that have been answered, I'm just going to give the official answers to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimious200 View Post
A)Firstly,i understand that when sb wanders in the gazebo the player who is the helper can't help anymore and the player should fight both monster alone
BUT
what happens if the player had already played cards(monster enhancers,potions etc)??
-do they still stay in play and only thing that changes is that his combat strenght is not added anymore?
-are they discarded
-or are they going back to the helper's hand?
Unfortunately, I can't answer this one because I think we're still trying to make sure we have a new and consistent ruling for similar situations.

Quote:
B)large ungry chicken:if someone wanders in a monster and i kill them both with fire i get one bonus level for each monster,right?
No.

Quote:
C)I understand that a monster who is friendly to the helper is friendly also for the other player(for example if one of the two players is a female then amazon will not fight them)
BUT
if one of the two monsters is friendly with you will this turn the other monster also friendly to you?
No.

Quote:
HERE IS MY CASE:i am a female character ,I have Wandering Monster and Amazon in my hand and i am facing Plutonium Dragon.can i wander in amazon (who is friendly to me) so at the end both monsters are friendly to me and give me one treasure each? (same for the lawyer and the thief and stoned golem for every class/race)
No.

Quote:
D)what about tongue demon?if i am facing a monster and someone wanders in tongue demon (and vice versa) have I to discard two items (one for the demon and one for the other monster) or one should do the job?
One Item is all you need. All of the above situations concern special circumstances that apply only to those Monsters.

Quote:
E)my version of insurance salesman (Greek edition) says "your level doesnt count.You can only deafeat him by using your bonuses from your items" (and not "fight him with your bonuses only" as i saw in other threads).Should we play it "with bonuses" generally or specifically only from items?
-In an other way,if i am a warrior can i use berserking to defeat him?
I'd say yes, given the wording on the original card. However, mistaken translations should be pointed out to the company who created them.

Quote:
F)are the "+/- X against that race/class" of a monster considered immunities/weaknesses that affect the wandered in monster?
WHAT I MEAN:
say i am an elf warrior fighting a monster "+3 against elfs+" and a "+6 against warriors" is wandered in
-am i fighting a "+3 against elfs,+6 against warriors" and a "+6 against warriors,+3 against elfs" (+18 against me) OR
-i am fightng two monsters whose side is "+3 against elfs,+6 against warriors" (+9 against me)?
+9. These are separate Monsters, each with their own bonuses.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimious200 View Post
Thanks for the reply but in FAQ page it is clearly stated

"Q. What about during the combat? You said they fight side by side. Does that mean if one monster is affected (positively or negatively) by fire/flame weapons that all of them are?
A. Exactly. A monster's immunity (or weakness) is given to all others in the fight."

so what's an example of the above?i could only think of large angry chicken and a wandered in monster.

Munchkin Man thanks in advance
What the above FAQ entry means is that, for example, if one Monster is immune to fire/flame and another Monster is wandered in, you don't suddenly get to use your fire/flame Items in the combat. Likewise, if you face a Monster who is weak against fire/flame, and a Monster who isn't weak against fire/flame is added to the combat, your opponents can't argue that you no longer get the added bonus from your fire/flame Items.

What the above does not mean is that every individual bonus, penalty, or special ability from each Monster is suddenly applied, individually, to all the Monsters in the combat.

If what I just said is not what is being interpreted from the FAQ entry (and I agree that it is not as clear as it needs to be), then it needs to be fixed.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
SmokeRulz

Yeah, I agree that FAQ entry needs to be clearer. I think with a game like Munchkin, it can be too easy to take something and twist it into whatever makes sense and benefits (or hurts) the player most. :P
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
dimious200

thanks a lot guys!so for the gazebo-question should we apply our house rules?whats your opinion about these? i think its more fair that any card played by helper shouldnt be discarded and they should return at the helpers and as long as gazebo says "you have to defeat it in your own",so defeating him with monster de-hancers played from an other player is not "fair"..do you think that we should use this house rule?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Brf

One-shot items and monster modifiers can be played by any player, even if that player is not helping in the combat, so I would see no reason for them to be removed.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
Signboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
One-shot items and monster modifiers can be played by any player, even if that player is not helping in the combat, so I would see no reason for them to be removed.
That seems like the simplest and most reasonable way to play this out. Not that simplicity and reason have a place in a game of Munchkin. ;)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Unless you are told to recover your played one-shots and enhancers, you don't get them back.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, ghoulfiend, lawyer, tongue demon, wandering monster