Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #41
Stoob

Default Re: Online 4e Character Archive

Thanks Armin and OldSam.

Armin, wow, thanks for the interesting info. I've never even seen a .gca4base file, and I've been using your software for about 4 years. I wonder why? I will add it as a filetype. I will also add .gcs as a filetype. I have also added links to all these programs: GCA, GCS, GCB.

Last edited by Stoob; 03-06-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Stoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #42
Captain-Captain

FIFTY UPLOADED Characters!
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #43
dcarson

Can you add .gct also, that's the template version of a gcs file. I've recently entered many of the templates from the Supers book in gcs and would happily upload them.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #44
Stoob

.gct added as a valid filetype under "other". Yes we have 50 characters, very nice! At one character a day, by this time next year we'll have over 400 characters!

FYI, I am also working on "Beasts" as a new type of creation. Non-playable (and possibly non-intelligent) creatures meant to confront or confound a party of adventurers.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #45
Crispythemighty

Awesome idea and awesome site!

Going to link you on my local gaming community forum and maybe dust off some old characters for upload. :P

Cracked Dice Entertainment
Crispythemighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #46
Stoob

Good news! By popular demand, I've expanded the GURPS Character Archive to include Beasts as well. Rather than create a separate website, Beasts can be incorporated into this website.

Of course, I'm welcoming feedback about Beasts, as they are a little different than Characters of course. For now, I'm defining Beasts as (mostly) non-PC-playable creatures whose primary function is to confront, confuse or challenge the PCs. That's a pretty wide definition. Have at it! I created one, just to get things started.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
Stoob

Does anyone have any original artwork they would like to donate for the homepage of the Archive? I would size it down to a couple inches across and use it to spruce this up a little bit. Preferably the artwork would contain one human(oid) at least, if not more, as if to represent fictional characters. Gracias.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #48
Xipe_Totec

A slight suggestion for genres?

How about putting Infinite Worlds, Supers and Horror in Modern, and Cyberpunk in Space, but renaming it into either Science Fiction or Future? I like the Fantasy/Historical/Modern progression and I figure Future would be a term that follows nicely (especially if moved after Modern ;) ). I'd say Supers and Horror mostly go to Modern, because, let's face it, how often do you get to play/read a superhero or crazed serial killer story set into medieval or fantasy times? ;)

Other than that, I think the site is simply AWESOME, and I kinda hate you (in an "actually love you and wanna be your BFF" way) for snatching the idea right under my fingertips. Believe it or not, I came upon the topic while visiting the forums checking out if there's a character repository, and if not, would there be interest in building one. I might still get to use the second part of my idea, going through the fora and digging up any posted characters and asking the poster if I can post them on your site. (Thought kinda doubt I'll be able to do anything until next week.)

Give me a shout if there's anything I can lend a hand with (though it would seem web design part is already taken care of.... masterfully). Now, off to dig up my characters and upload them. :D
Xipe_Totec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #49
Stoob

Xipe_Totec, thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I've taken some of your suggestions, namely renaming the Space genre to Science Fiction / Space. This is a bit more inclusive, as not every sci-fi campaign involves vacc-suits and rocketships.

As far as moving Supers and Horror into "Modern" is something to consider, but I'm going to keep them both separate now. Supers and Horror are both kind of meta-genres that could be applied to a variety of settings, plus both categories seem to be fairly popular with the uploaders, to warrant having their own category, instead of being relegated to a sub category. A sci-fi/horror character is easily conceivable. So is a Supers/sci-fi or Supers/fantasy, where laser beams from the eyes meet with Merlin's fireball.

I encourage all people to put your characters in as MANY genres as they might fit, this could easily be 3 or more.

Most importantly, start uploading! We've got over 60 characters now, which is not bad. Once the archive gets above 200 characters it will really be a useful tool. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 AM   #50
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoob View Post
Xipe_Totec, thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I've taken some of your suggestions, namely renaming the Space genre to Science Fiction / Space. This is a bit more inclusive, as not every sci-fi campaign involves vacc-suits and rocketships.

As far as moving Supers and Horror into "Modern" is something to consider, but I'm going to keep them both separate now. Supers and Horror are both kind of meta-genres that could be applied to a variety of settings, plus both categories seem to be fairly popular with the uploaders, to warrant having their own category, instead of being relegated to a sub category. A sci-fi/horror character is easily conceivable. So is a Supers/sci-fi or Supers/fantasy, where laser beams from the eyes meet with Merlin's fireball.

I encourage all people to put your characters in as MANY genres as they might fit, this could easily be 3 or more.

Most importantly, start uploading! We've got over 60 characters now, which is not bad. Once the archive gets above 200 characters it will really be a useful tool. Thanks again.
Halfway there. 103 characters plus assorted monsters.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote