Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 AM   #21
dcarson

Default Re: [Ultra Tech] Layering Armour

I thought a more common problem is troops and police not wearing the armor they are issued because it is too hot and confining. If they expect to need it yeah they wear it but routine days where you don't expect to need it they tend to leave it off.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 AM   #22
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I thought a more common problem is troops and police not wearing the armor they are issued because it is too hot and confining. If they expect to need it yeah they wear it but routine days where you don't expect to need it they tend to leave it off.
It can be, but I think thats partly because in reality a lot of time spent soldiering doesn't involve combat even if you're in a combat zone*, but rather humping your kit around the local environment, which maybe particularly unforgiving.

However I think it's less of an issue when you actually lining up in formations on a battlefield (as opposed to more modern conflict situations)

However sometimes the decisions to do so is also impacted by a view on what's being given up. For instance some** soldiers in Vietnam didn't wear their flak vest and plates while on patrol. and yeah that's partly because a flak vest aren't that comfortable to wear especially while carrying a bunch of other kit in humidity etc. But on top of that was the knowledge that their vest even with plates wasn't going to confer immunity against the threats thy might face anyway.

*or a lot of time being police officer doesn't involve getting stabbed/shot

**and just like not every fight in Vietnam was a 'Platoon style' jungle ambush, not every solider ensued their vests!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-01-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #23
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
It can be, but I think thats partly because in reality a lot of time spent soldiering doesn't involve combat even if you're in a combat zone*, but rather humping you kit around the local environment, which maybe particularly unforgiving.
On top of that is a visibility issue. Smart strategy often means attacking soft targets and avoiding hard targets, but we don't see all the fights that didn't occur (and were prevented by the soldiers appearing too strong to launch an effective attack against) - so all the individual warrior sees is a day without an attack.

Quote:
And people didn't go about thinking "well that line of chaps aren't going to be more than ST11 and they have broad swords which means there's a 66% chance they wont beat my DR (unless they do an AOA which everyone knows is an sub-optimal attack in the system so no one does it), so yeah I'm good on average"
One way of mitigating that situation is for spear formations to have their Perks in formation fighting (Teamwork? Shield Wall? Sacrificial Parry?) allow the front ranks to defend the line behind them so the second line could make AOAs.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #24
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post

One way of mitigating that situation is for spear formations to have their Perks in formation fighting (Teamwork? Shield Wall? Sacrificial Parry?) allow the front ranks to defend the line behind them so the second line could make AOAs.
Yep (there was a recent thread on such formations fighting)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #25
Kalzazz

One thing people can be bad about is wearing vests but not wearing inserts, since visually looks the same

Several members of rank would greet minions with a friendly par on the back or the front to verify inserts were present. More old school rank would go for a forceful jab
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #26
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
One thing people can be bad about is wearing vests but not wearing inserts, since visually looks the same

Several members of rank would greet minions with a friendly par on the back or the front to verify inserts were present. More old school rank would go for a forceful jab
heh!

"now that's strange it was in there when I last checked, Sargent"
Old 09-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Wouldn't punching an insert hurt the guy checking? Or would they use some object?

Despite having relatives in each branch of the service, you cannot get further from the military experience than me. So I love learning from these kinds of threads.

1. It's kind of funny. Our father was a marine, one brother air force, another army reserve, and the other still in the navy, so I like to consider myself the fifth option, pacifist.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
Kalzazz

Flexible thrust vest inserts, I was a correctional officer, not military
Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Oh. I'm afraid I don't know about those. I've heard of ballistic vests, and ceramic inserts, but not flexible inserts. Are those for resisting stabs?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #30
Kalzazz

Yes, designed to resist stabs, but also give a fair deal of protection if someone clubbed you in the insert I'd expect

Flexible ballistic inserts are also a thing

Basically the inserts allow the prison to buy one set of expensive inserts which can be used by staff on all the shifts, yet let each officer have his/her own inexpensive vest which they can get their name embroidered on etc and get adjusted just right

The drawback of course is you come on shift and your inserts you get are already wet and warmed up for you by the last shift

Tags
armor, layering, ultra tech