Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Classic Uncle Sam

Default Your Highest And Lowest Starting Points

I thought it would be interesting for the forums to comment on their starting points for adventures/campaigns.

Specifically: What are the lowest and the highest point totals you've ever started with?

I ran a one shot adventure of guards defending a wagon of goods from highwaymen. This was to show people some basics of GURPS melee combat. The guards (the players) were all 50 points.

I played in a short lived far future post-apocalypse game where we started out with 300 points. Most of us awoke from cryo-sleep enhanced with cybernetic implants or genetic modifications.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Your Highest And Lowest Starting Points

In the bad old days of 3e I ran a 50 point start to a Supers "Torg" game. The pcs were 50 pointers for the first 3 sessions, then added 100 points of "they've awaken to their powers", then after the first 'chapter' (about 8 sessions) added another 100 points. Then I ran it with normal awards.

Highest I've run was an 800 point Supers in 3e.

My 'standard' in 4e has been 250, I've run Fallout, Dungeon Fantasy, and am now running a 'Magical Apocalypse' Gamma World.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Langy

I played in a zombie apocalypse one-shot where all the players were 25 points and a supers campaign where the characters were 1000 points.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Lowest was 50 point volunteers for a drug trial, who then acquired 50 points of psi powers.

Highest was about 650, for characters who'd started in 3e with 400 and gained a fair bit of experience before being converted to 4e.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Uncle Sam View Post
I thought it would be interesting for the forums to comment on their starting points for adventures/campaigns.

Specifically: What are the lowest and the highest point totals you've ever started with?
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the lowest point total I ever started with was 50 points. This was for a campaign about modern-day British teenagers who walked into Faerie one Midsummer's Eve and took a long time to get back.

The highest point total was 1500 points. That was for a campaign about a world where the most powerful supers were threats to national governments and were legally sovereign states without territory. The player characters were second-rank supers who had been recruited as a reaction force to deal with outlaw sovereigns.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Wavefunction

The lowest I've run (and am currently running) is a 0-point campaign. Total incompetence is expected from the players, it's a lot of fun. We have a wizard who only critically succeeds or fails, a cursed, Total Klutz, Unkillable 2 barbarian, a non-talking wolf, an aristocrat cursed with constant inebriation, and a whole host of crazy NPC characters.

The highest was about 750 points, set in the RWBY universe, but that's kind of cheating because all the players started with a set number of points they pretty much have to spend. But there was some allowance to reduce the amount they spend so we counted it in the total starting points.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
LemmingLord

We played 0-pt wizards with no disad limit. We had a blast playing these messed up fellows.

The super kiddos game I ran didn't use points but as the character powers were essentially superman levels, they had to be far past the 1000 point range.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Donny Brook

Lowest was 50pt adolescent 'supers'.

Highest was 400 point cyborg agents in a Shadowrun knockoff.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
mr beer

Have run 1000 point campaigns a couple of times, the premise was 20th+ level characters in that other game.

Lowest I think started at 125 points.

Some day I want to run an extreme old school dungeon. Give everyone something like 75 point characters with a number of spares and chuck them into the meat grinder. The wandering monster table will be rigidly adhered to and there will be at least one grossly unbalanced encounter on it (e.g. d4+1 Ogres).

The final survivors get an extra 50 points to level up with.

EDIT

Actually now I'm kind of excited about this idea, I might get the guys to do some random generation as well to up the feel of that other game.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Uncle Sam View Post

I ran a one shot adventure of guards defending a wagon of goods from highwaymen. This was to show people some basics of GURPS melee combat. The guards (the players) were all 50 points.

I played in a short lived far future post-apocalypse game where we started out with 300 points. Most of us awoke from cryo-sleep enhanced with cybernetic implants or genetic modifications.
I run a lot of mixed point total games, but my highest ever point total character one of my players ran was something like 10,000 points. She was a minor goddess who had thrown in her chips with some heroes to try to set right some wrongs. Of course, the character was horribly inefficient and my skills have improved much since then. I could probably do it on around 4,000 points now. The lowest point character I've ever had a player run was a 25-point child who would grow up to be the "chosen one." The other players had to protect the kid and train him. They were all scholars, scientists, warriors, soldiers, etc. Every story arc was followed a year long downtime and during the downtime they'd train the chosen one up. Eventually, the kid grew up and only one of his teachers remained when they went after the fallen angel he was supposed to kill. The other players had long since replaced their characters, but it was pretty epic. The ending resulted in the remaining teacher dying feet away from the ashen corpse of the fallen angel.

My current campaign is using a modified framework that's pointless (like Pointless Looting and Slaying), but the characters are playing avatars of gods (which they designed) and are about 4,000 points. It's working pretty well so far.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote