Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Maledictions w/ No die roll required - is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Yeah. Of course, if the attacker has Cosmic: No Die Roll Required on his Affliction, he might as well roll, since he can't do worse than succeed by zero.
General Quick Contests don't have auto failure. Even if one of the participants fails his roll, he can still win the QC if the other fails by a larger margin. It's QC Resistance Rolls that make success imperative for the attacker.
That was my recollection, but Quick Contest rolls still seem to still fail on 17 and 18. This is a problem when rolling them against high effective skills: If I roll 17 against my 25, I fail despite beating my skill by 8, but how much did I fail by? Can the other person fail "normally" and still beat me? What if we both roll 17's against my 25 and his 31? Who wins then and by how much?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 05-10-2011 at 05:22 PM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Maledictions w/ No die roll required - is this legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
That was my recollection, but Quick Contest rolls still seem to still fail on 17 and 18. This is a problem when rolling them against high effective skills: If I roll 17 against my 25, I fail despite beating my skill by 8, but how much did I fail by? Can the other person fail "normally" and still beat me? What if we both roll 17's against my 25 and his 31? Who wins then and by how much?
Only the margin will matter in most Quick Contests. Generally, a roll of 17 against a skill of 25 would be a Success by 8. See this old post of Kromm's, which I believe molokh put in the UFAQ.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, cosmic, malediction, no die roll required