Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #61
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: DF Monsters: A Wizard did It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Glad to be of help, however inadvertently.

I am in the process of converting the mage from earlier to 4th ed. I am also saving a couple of ideas in case there is a new DF monster competition.

Drawing a complete blank on the name
The Colchian Staff. The Colchian dragon was the never sleeping one guarding the golden fleece.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #62
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Boruu: armored bull/buffalo hybrids
Is this American buffalo aka bison? Beefalo are a for-real thing, but lack armor plating.
Water buffalo is another critter, and apparently can't hybridize with cattle, so water beefalo would be a fantasy animal. (In Don't Starve, water beefalo are amphibious yaks with alarming glowing eyes and a murderous temperament).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #63
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Is this American buffalo aka bison?
I think so. Here's the whole entry:

HD: 6+2
AC: 3 (head), 5 (body)
Speed: 10" (15" charge)
DEX: 6 – 13
% Liar: N/A
Number: 3d20
Immunities: 100% to fear
Attacks: 2 horns (3d6 each), 1 butt (2d6), trample (4d12)
Looks/Dress: Boruu are a giant, armored bull and buffalo crossbreed.
Notes: They charge, run over, and trample all they see – no fear!

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #64
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The Colchian Staff. The Colchian dragon was the never sleeping one guarding the golden fleece.
Anything grabbed from classical myth is usually good.

Sinuwhip
pronounced sinew-whip

Visual
A tall eyeless humanoid skeleton shrink wrapped in off white sinew.

Unarmed and incredibly fast with somehow disjointed movement a Sinuwhip looks like it was built to win a knife fight in a phone box. Incredibly flexible it has one more trick up it's sleeve, it can change facing 180 degrees in an instant with just a sickening cracking of bone.

Difficult to hit, this strong grappler is a dangerous foe. If grappled itself it secretes a liquid akin to spinal fluid making it almost impossible to hold.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #65
Flyndaran
Untagged

Monsters made of innards always remind me of Humbaba from Gilgamesh who according to one text has a face like coiled entrails. Somehow, until I just looked it up, I thought his entire body was that.

How would you give this, essentially skeleton with skin, unique descriptions other than in manner of movement?
Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #66
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Monsters made of innards always remind me of Humbaba from Gilgamesh who according to one text has a face like coiled entrails. Somehow, until I just looked it up, I thought his entire body was that.

How would you give this, essentially skeleton with skin, unique descriptions other than in manner of movement?
I pictured a skull with no eye sockets at all just a smooth curve of bone. The mouth then becomes something to focus on. Maybe a tongue that comes into play when it's grappling to up the ick factor.

I pictured this one quite plain in appearance, the movement was the big thing, I will have to have a bit of a think about a straight visual description.

I sometimes use the less is more approach when GMing, let the player fill in the details in their own head. This one was a bit like that. How does your imagination fill in the gaps? (Answering a question with a question I know)

Aside
Thinking about grappling you could always add more arms (or other grappling appendages)

Edit
Thought about it and I would thinking playing on the idea of "subtly wrong" might work.
"The wrist seems to have too many bones" or "the rib cage is sitting too far back"

Last edited by (E); 09-25-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #67
Bruno

On a related note...

Rot Flicker

These zombies are the nastily-rotting kind, and while they're slow shufflers adventurers aren't safe standing out of reach. Rot Flickers rip out handfuls of their own putrifying organs and guts to throw at adventurers; the splatter is nauseating and infectious, and is guaranteed to send Squeemish adventurers into fits.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #68
(E)

Support monsters
Delivery/hybernation slug

A large creature that resembles a slug with a large mouth. Originally designed so that the wizard could safely distribute slime and oozes anything swallowed by this slug falls into a state of hybernation. The wizard has since learnt that it can transport all manner of creatures. It can follow simple instructions to go to a location and regurgitate what it has swallowed. Very quiet.
Variations
Paralytic spit

Dumper
A skeletal quadruped with a box built in. Numerous.

Shoveler
A multi armed creature that can move a prodigious amount of loose stone or soil.

Digger
When the wizard discovered that there were too many accidents using multiple skeletons on expand the dungeon he created this creature. A wide base and dozens of centrally coordinated arms equiped with picks and bars. Built tough to handle stray rock fragments the Digger lacks the usual refinement of the wizard's creations.
- Possibly has the ability to attach new arms to itself.

Last edited by (E); 09-26-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #69
(E)

Witch wasps, Wizard wasps, Witch weirds
Large brightly coloured wasps that move in hypnotic patterns. Any one with a thaumaturgy or ritual magic skill will find the movement familiar.

The wasps movement is a three dimensional magic ritual. The power is expressed through the drones.(there may be several)

Small scale magic from stealthy casters or a swarm with defences these critters could be played with in a number of ways.

Small scale magic
Substitute inches for feet or yards.
Shrink and be tricky, wither limb becomes wither digit. (Poor scout)

Twists
Make the swarm rats or moths.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #70
(E)

Oddstrocity
This bizarre creature when resting appears to be a giant slug with an obese vaguely humanoid upper body sticking out randomly. The creature's mouth is huge and located on the torso of the upper body. Slime oozes from it's varied flesh. It is covered with patches of fur, chitin, metal as well as slug like skin.

When awoken the Oddstrocity extrudes a large number of spider like legs and the torso moves along the slug like lower body to face whatever disturbed it's rest.

If faced with a powerful ground based foe the Oddstrocity can turn it's legs into tentacles with powerful climbing claws and take to the walls and ceiling.

It can cause huge blisters to erupt from it's own flesh, depending on the location these blisters contain different things. Metal patches of skin for example have blisters that contain a number of long metal ribbons not unlike sword blades in cross section. These are fast an accurate if individually not very damaging. Blisters from the other patches of skin produce different things.

Notes
The lower body might be 3 hexes by 6 hexes.
The upper torso migrates over the lower body at move 2.
The mouth can vomit flesh eating maggots.
Stumpy but stretchy arms

Playing up the odd as apposed to the strocity you could change the vomit attack to high velocity low denomination currency. On the other hand it is easy to predict what the PCs will do after beating it.

Last edited by (E); 09-27-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, monsters