Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #21
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [High-Tech] Military Equipment: Global War on Terror edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I don't have that issue so I can't tell you if this is right but unless the 30mm there is pretty explicitly the GAU-7 it's not. The GAU-7 is a unique weapon with barrels twice as long as common 30mms and it uses those long barrels to fire also unique full caliber DU rounds that weigh twice as much as normal 30mm rounds.

I believe there may have been a 3e write up but without much looking I can't tell you where. I may also just have seen Hans give stats for it once.

But if your stats are for the 30mm from the AH-64 Apache of just for a "generic" 30mm the GAU-7 is a much more formidable weapon.
Thanks for the heads-up. LMK if you find the thing you're thinking of—it doesn't appear to be High-Tech, Special Ops, Modern Firepower, Vehicles, or either vehicles expansions.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
Michael Thayne

And now for the moment we've all been waiting for...

M1 Abrams

Cribbing from an old thread:

TL: 8
Vehicle: M1 Abrams
ST/HP: 200
Hnd/SR: -3/5
HT: 10
Move: 1/20
LWt: 65 tons
Load: 2 tons
SM: +4
Occ: 4
DR: 1680
Range: 275 miles
Cost: $4,300,000
Locations: 2CTX

Listed DR is going to be for the front hull. Vehicles 3e gives breaks down the armor as follows:

Front hull: DR 1,680.
Rear/side hull: DR 140.
Top/underbody: DR 90
Front turret: DR 1,500.
Rear/side turret: DR 200.
Top turret: DR 120
Tracks Armor: DR 30; armor skirts provide an extra DR 70.

Armor on the front, rear, and sides, is laminate; double DR vs. shaped charges.

This has been debate elsewhere, but my take is that in game terms the M1's gun appears to be very close to the T-72's. In addition, the M1 mounts an M2HB machine gun and two M240 machine guns.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 09-01-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Originally said "the T-72 mounts..."
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #23
Purple Snit

Just an aside - the A-10 has a titanium "bathtub" around the cockpit, which was designed and tested to stand up to 23mm autocannon rounds. That's about DR75 for the pilot/cockpit from the sides or below.
Purple Snit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #24
Michael Thayne

Another vehicle stated out with some help from Vehicles 3e

AV-8B Harrier II

ST/HP: 87
Hnd/SR: +3/4
HT: 12f
Move: 7/336
SM: +5
Occ: 1SP
DR: 7
Range: 2,100
Loc.: g3WWi
Stall: 25

It's armed with the same GAU-12 as the AC-130. Other weapns include the 70mm Hydra, Sidewinders, AIM-120s (which as noted in a previous post I'm extremely unsure how to deal with), the AGM-84 Harpoon, and the AGM-88 HARM.

The Harpoon is a 34 cm anti-ship missile based on high explosives. This makes it the first case where rule of using cube-root damage for explosives over 100 lbs. TNT becomes relevant. Because I favor that rule, the Harpoon should be something like 6dx27 [6dx3] cr ex. with a range of something like 268/140,000. Using the same Acc 4 for the Sidewinder is probably fine, though it's unclear what makes the most sense at such extreme ranges.

The HARM appears to be designed for taking out radar stations. Possibly ABF, if so then like the AIM-120 I'm unsure how to handle it.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #25
Michael Thayne

Apache Helicopter

ST/HP: 90
Hnd/SR: +2/2
HT: 11f
Move: 4/91
SM: +6
Occ: 2SP
DR: 3
Range: 1,180
Loc.: GH2R
Stall: 0

Weapons:
M230 Chaingun: Don't know how to improve on the "Dogfight Action!" 30mm gun, in spite of objections that have been raised by this.
Hellfire Missiles: 6dx18(10) + linked 6dx6 [9d]. Minimum range 475/8,800.

Can also be armed with 70mm Hydra rockets and Stinger missiles.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #26
weby

The unofficial Vehicle collection has stats for things like the A-10 (that look more reasonable than the ones you have on the base idea given that the A-10 is supposed to be rugged build), AH-64D Apache and weapons like the GAU-8/A and the short 30mm gun for the Apache along with Hellfire missiles.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #27
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I don't have that issue so I can't tell you if this is right but unless the 30mm there is pretty explicitly the GAU-7 it's not. The GAU-7 is a unique weapon with barrels twice as long as common 30mms and it uses those long barrels to fire also unique full caliber DU rounds that weigh twice as much as normal 30mm rounds.

I believe there may have been a 3e write up but without much looking I can't tell you where. I may also just have seen Hans give stats for it once.

But if your stats are for the 30mm from the AH-64 Apache of just for a "generic" 30mm the GAU-7 is a much more formidable weapon.
Stats for the GAU-8/A are here. This thread also has a lot of further information.

Cheers

HANS

Last edited by HANS; 03-29-2017 at 11:51 PM.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #28
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Snit View Post
Just an aside - the A-10 has a titanium "bathtub" around the cockpit, which was designed and tested to stand up to 23mm autocannon rounds. That's about DR75 for the pilot/cockpit from the sides or below.
I think this is a fairly standard feature of combat aircraft—existing canonical write-ups omit it, so I'm doing so as well, but sure, it's worth noting.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #29
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
The unofficial Vehicle collection has stats for things like the A-10 (that look more reasonable than the ones you have on the base idea given that the A-10 is supposed to be rugged build), AH-64D Apache and weapons like the GAU-8/A and the short 30mm gun for the Apache along with Hellfire missiles.
Google turns up a couple things you could be talking about—can you provide a specific link?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #30
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Stats for the GAU-8/A are here. This thread also has a lot of further information.

Cheers

HANS
Edited the entry for the A-10 to incorporate these stats. Thanks!

Tags
high-tech, modern firepower