Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Getting the Game back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersd View Post
The scout-druid will definitely want to do that. He appears to be emerging as a bit more of a power gamer than I had originally thought.
Well, that is true to the genre. Just remember your job as an old-school GM is to do your best (within reason) to kill the party. Remember to cackle happily when one of them is bludgeoned into unconsciousness.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #32
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
Word can contain viruses; UTF-8 and PDF cannot.

Actually, PDF can contain viruses. And Adobe doesn't patch very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersd View Post
I have uploaded my player style questionnaire to Scribd and have placed a link here.
Why in the world do I need Flash enabled to look at a PDF? <sigh>
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #33
rogersd

So tonight we rounded out the party with a Thief-wizard and a Holy Warrior-cleric. The lack of experience certainly showed in the last two players as character creation took some time even with the templates.

The party now stands as a Scout-Druid; a Thief-Wizard; and a Holy Warrior-Cleric. All are 300 point characters.

We will have our first playing session on Sunday or Monday night depending on family and child rearing schedules.

I have now been told several times that they are very excited to get started, lets hope it stays that way. The other players also liked the idea of learning one system that we could then use to play a variety of different genres. So hats off to you at Steve Jackson Games.

Now all that's left to do is complete the conversion of the dungeon denizens to Gurps.

Dave.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #34
rogersd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
One of the things I routinely try to do is to hit the PCs, in the first session, with a combat situation involving some comparatively easy opponents, or some constraints on lethality such as formal duelling (where you don't want to fight to the death, because you'll face charges of murder). That gets them familiar with how combat flows, and where to look for things on their character sheets, without penalizing them for not yet knowing the rules. You can even have a skilled combatant ready to rescue them, though they shouldn't end up having rescuers waiting to save their butts in later sessions . . . just once at the outset.

Bill Stoddard
The campaign is set in the Forgotten Realms setting and the players will leave the Inn at Shadowdale setting off to a legendary fortress from which no one returns.

Thank you for the advice as I will have the party get into a bit of trouble at the Inn and have the local leos in place to rescue them if need be. They can collect information about the adventure and get a taste for combat.

Thanks.
Dave.

Tags
players, robin's laws, survey