Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #41
Leonidas
Banned

Default Re: OGRE IN ITALY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Thanks for posting this, Leonidas.

So the base consists of multiple-hex (flat) counters. Are these the counters from the Strategic and Tactical Objectives sheet?
Exactly, Sir! I love how they look and their nostalgic feel. The 3 Hexes Port is very cool. It is a must on any lake for me. There is also a Pentagon, a 1 Hex Port, some supplies on the side of the road and very cool stuff..

If someone has any trouble in setting up the Strategic and Tactical Objectives counters on the GEV maps according to the placement privided in the scenario, I can happily nemail photos of a complete set up.

Ok. That’s all for now. I still have to try/test the BGG-Zilla. I am thinking about hunting monsters, but I need my full ODE.

Leonidas out for now.

Last edited by Leonidas; 12-28-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Typos
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #42
Leonidas
Banned

+++++
Lenoidas reporting.

A happy new year from all Italian Ogres (mostly affiliatef to the Vatican Guard, save for some rogue Ogres) to all the Ogres in the world!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 AM   #43
Knockman

Wishing you a Happy New Year for 2018, Leonidas.

And many thanks too for your comments on the counters in the S&TO Sheet. It sounds like you are getting the exact enjoyment we planned for these. I hope they provide you with a lot more inspiration for yet more scenarios.

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #44
Leonidas
Banned

+++++
Leonidas reporting to HQ

Combine forces are amassing at the border

The ceasefire is rapidly collapsing

Some Combine crawlers have been spotted

All GEV Pilot report immediately and get ready to launch

Update the targeting software of the Laser Towers to V.2.0, we have to intercept these missiles at all cost!

Where are the Superheavies?

Request support! Request support!

+++++
Communication interrupted.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #45
Leonidas
Banned

+++++++++++++
Leonidas reporting to HQ

We had to retreat. We destroyed many enemy units hiding in a city via Cruise Missiles. However, the enemy managed to breach our first libe of defence, and finally managed to destroy both our CPs. We managet to get one enemy CP, and our analyst discovered ghat the enemy had a much better software to manage the Laser Towers. We understand only now how 2 Laser Towers killed one superheavy tank with one blow (even using the oprtional rules....that decided the battle). The enemy achieved a marginal victory, and our troops are eager to fight back.

Leonidas out for now

+++++++++++++
Old 01-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #46
Leonidas
Banned

++++++++++++
Leonidas reporting.

The HQ ordered a take and hold mission. Our intelligence identified three main objectives, an antenna for relay communications, a nuclear reactor, and an administrative building. Combine forces were ahead, presumably with the same purposes.

We had an army assembled with 1 Pikeman, 1 Ogre Mk V, and many infantry. Our line of reinforcements was cut and armor units did not arrive (I forgot all the tanks and GEVs at home, and we changed the composition of the forces, ehm....).

Despite this unfortunate event, which seems to have affected the Combine forces too, the battle deserved to be fought. Infantries took advantage in the cities and swamps surrounding the objectives. Some buildings got damaged and civilians were killed because of spillover fire, the Pikeman and the Combine Mk I proved to be almost useless once their main battery was damaged.

As ancient knights jousting around the battlefield, the two gigantic Ogres dueled in the proximity of the antenna towering over them.

The battle was fierce, we used all the ordinance, but no side could claim a clean victory of the scenario in time (my wife interfered with my battle plans...).

On a final note, superheavy tanks (with optional rules) are much more durable than Mk Is. Advise the automated factory AF-011 immediately and accordingly.

Leonidas out.

++++++++++++

P.S It was simply incredible how we managed to enjoy a game even if I forgot all the armor tokens at home. So we decided to use the MkVs I had in the box.
We consider Ogre to be the perfect game. It is simple, it always works, and the player has everything under control. We still do not understand how this can be, but it is really amazing.

Last edited by Leonidas; 01-29-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #47
Leonidas
Banned

+++++++++++++

Leonidas reporting from the battlefront

Theatre of war: Ceasefire collapse scenario.

Quadrant: G2 North and South Map.

Area of Deployment: G2 North before the horizontal main road.

Army size: 16 AU and 18 INF.

Mission Objectives: Defend our Command Posts (D3 and D2) and civilians, destroy enemy Main Command Post (D3) and Mobile Command Post (D1).

Side Objective: Destroy two enemy cities.

Outcome: Destroyed one enemy city. The Enemy Mobile Command Post escaped. Enemy forces reduced to 20% and surrendered. One city fell under enemy fire.

Highlights of the battle

We protected our vital objective with one Howitzer and advanced with one Mobile Howitzer. We advanced with our conventional forces, using a stacking of mixed forces (i.e. 1 INF, 1 Missle Tank, and 1 Heavy Tank). Before engaging the enemy, forces spread out. The MSL tank stays at long range, the HT stays at mid-range, and the Infantry gets terrain cover bonuses. These tactics were successful and much-unexpected to the Enemy.
Secondly, a mention of honor goes to the Marines team who were transported by a GEV PC, and destroyed an enemy city all by themselves. In case of light targets in the water, the combined attack by Marines and GEV guns, is very effective, firing to enemy GEVs on a 2:1 ratio. In case of target proximity to the water, this small compartment is very effective: the Marines get bonus cover for the water, and the GEV PC has one opportunity to increase the firing power of the squad, staying at mid-range, and moving back to safety thereafter. Excellent.

All the other ground forces fought efficiently, destroyed one Superheavy Tank, repelled the enemy attack, and advanced for the invasion until the Enemy surrendered.

End of report

Leonidas out.
+++++++++++++

P.S. We are getting why my friend and I love this game so much. It is a wargame. This may look as the understatement of the year but while we are quite used to miniature games, this is a wargame and gives you a totally different experience. We feel like controlling an army, using the old board very common in WWI movies. Additionally, I really like the "I go, you go" mechanics". Every turn, you do not know what will happen next, and you must make new choices. Coming to that, you have a good mix of strategic and tactical choices as well during a game, and all of this happens through very simple rules, and very nice components.

P.P.S. Additionally, I used some layers to make changes to the map. It was nice to add a road, to use the 7 Hex Woods with the city in the middle. The ODE has so many things to use. I suggest to always use the ports from the Strategic Targets & Objectives sheet even for aesthetic purposes, they add a lot in my opinion.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 AM   #48
Knockman

Excellent BatRep (Battle Report) Leonidas, much appreciated.

And thanks for the kind words about the Ports counters, glad you enjoy using them.

Quick question for you: do you use the 3D model Ogres at all?

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #49
Leonidas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post

Quick question for you: do you use the 3D model Ogres at all?
I am using the 3D cardboard Ogres for sure!

However, I am still waiting for the Kickstarter Mini Set 1 to arrive to test how miniatures will look on the map. As of today, I am not fully sold about playing with the miniatures, though.

I love the cardboard tokens insofar, stats are very clear, tracking disabled status is solid, stacking units is perfect, (and you could even use some fog of war house rule....i.e. you do not know what is staking under a token!).

All of these issues can be easily addressed even with minis, I know, and does not apply to Ogre models. However, I would need to paint the minis (marines, heavy weapons, and engineers too), wait for the Combine sets etc...It will take ages to have an acceptable game.

Anyway, I think minis are awesome for the standard smash the CP scenario and it will be easier to introduce Ogre to new players.

As soon as the Mini Set 1 arrives (come on!), I will test it and make a Batrep.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #50
Leonidas
Banned

Hi,

This is not a standard update. This is about Ogre Objective 218. It is an awesome game. Not only the artwork is compelling, but also the mechsnics are addictive. It’s a “Ok. Just one more game again” feeling. It is a must to have and play for all ogre fans in my opinion. Moreover, all units have a thematic feeling. The Ogre (an mkiii) is tough and terryfing. GEVs are sneaky. Infantries do their job as they should alwaiys do. Howitzers behave as long range units. Light GEVs are quite useful for surrounding tactics. Heavy thanks are strong frontline units. The cruise missiles are the “panic button” to be used agsnst Ogres or “I want to get rid of that unit, now!” situation.

The objective of the game is to occupy the enemy’s command post. You do that by building a supply line from you command post, placing cards/units on a virtual grid. While you place cards/units, you attack enemy cards/units and advance to your objective. It is a symmetrical kind of game. No dice are involved. A game lasts 10 minutes generally. There are a couple of tutorials on the web to learn how to play. The instructions in the box are very clear.

The game has its charm, without doubt.

Let me know what do you think about Ogre Objective 218. I am very curious.

Leonidas out

Last edited by Leonidas; 02-09-2018 at 11:33 PM.