Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
InexplicableVic

Default Combat Effectiveness Rating (CER) for Shadow Warrior (DFM3)

GURPS Calculator figures it to be 45 (OR 16, PR 29). I figured it to be more like 72.5 (OR 24.5, PR 48), but freely admit that the 1d FP attack, with no DR, is hard to quantify. Any ideas?

The FP attack seems to be pretty rough against typical DF or DFRPG delvers, considering there is no DR. Seems like with a couple of lucky shots (especially if Rapid Striking), you could have an unconscious front-line fighter in no time, who then gets repeatedly attacked (Bloodlust). I wonder how two or three Shadow Warriors match up with a 4-6 person (250-point per) crew.

Any ideas on the CER?

I figured Attack Skill 8, Affliction 9, Damage 3.5, Fatigue Points 2, Move 2, for OR 24.5; Active Defense 8, Damage Reduction 20, Health 2, Hit Points 14, Will 4, for a PR of 48.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Combat Effectiveness Rating (CER) for Shadow Warrior (DFM3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
GURPS Calculator figures it to be 45 (OR 16, PR 29). I figured it to be more like 72.5 (OR 24.5, PR 48), but freely admit that the 1d FP attack, with no DR, is hard tao quantify. Any ideas?
Treat Cosmic (Ignores DR) as a fifth level of Armor Divisor.

Quote:
Any ideas on the CER?

I figured Attack Skill 8, Affliction 9, Damage 3.5, Fatigue Points 2, Move 2, for OR 24.5; Active Defense 8, Damage Reduction 20, Health 2, Hit Points 14, Will 4, for a PR of 48.
There's no affliction for this monster. The one die of FP needs to be doubled for this equation. You need to subtract 10 from the HP.

The Weakness against sunlight is hard to quantify since it doesn't follow normal GURPS rules but should lower its points from the DR step substantially.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
The FP attack seems to be pretty rough against typical DF or DFRPG delvers, considering there is no DR. Seems like with a couple of lucky shots (especially if Rapid Striking), you could have an unconscious front-line fighter in no time, who then gets repeatedly attacked (Bloodlust). I wonder how two or three Shadow Warriors match up with a 4-6 person (250-point per) crew.
It depends on the party. There is no typical CER for a delving party. It's all custom to your group. That said, these guys are dangerous looking. Anything that can attack you and can't really be attacked back should be used sparingly or at least as a real challenge for PCs.

Quote:
Any ideas on the CER?

I'm going to run through this real fast:

Offensive Rating Summary
Attack Skill 8
Affliction 0
Damage 7 + 25 (for ignoring armor)
Fatigue Points 2
Move 2

Protective Rating Summary
Active Defense 8
Damage Resistance 15 (Unkillable 3 is worth 0; I priced Dispel Magic and Sunlight as occasional instances and light spells as rare so Unkillabie is worth +8. Weakness to Dispel Magic is worth 59 character points as I priced this as an Occasional threat. Since Dispel Magic only takes three seconds to cast I added Reduced Time to Weakness to bring it down to 1d every second and then just included the cost of a custom vulnerability in the trait as well to bring it up to 3d. Thus it gives +11. Dependency is worth -25 points so that adds +5. Fragile (Unnatural) adds -10. The Injury Tolerances add 27 character points of utility for +5 points. Shadow Form should probably have Always On - and I priced it as such here - for -4 points.)
Health 2
Hit Points 4 (Regeneration only in shadow is worth 40 character points - it's a -20% Accessibility and thus gives +8)
Will 6

Thus I get 44 OR and 35 PR or 79 CER total.

Hope that helps.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
InexplicableVic

Thanks for both replies. Christopher, that was great help explaining the Damage and Damage Resistance calculations (I put points in Affliction mistakenly to account for the no DR attack, and missed the doubling on the FP damage).
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks for both replies. Christopher, that was great help explaining the Damage and Damage Resistance calculations (I put points in Affliction mistakenly to account for the no DR attack, and missed the doubling on the FP damage).
No worries. Glad I could help.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat effectiveness, dungeon fantasy, fatigue attack, monster