Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Translating the concept of HP from D&D (and the like) to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Unless the Ablative DR is also a Force Field or otherwise providing DR to every possible point of systemic access, I don't see how it's going to help at all vs an Area Affect Blood Agent. That's like saying you don't need Filter Lungs to ignore a Respiratory Agent if you have Ablative DR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Ablative DR described above does have Force Field.
Would you need "Sealed" linked to the DR somehow to have the forcefield protect against AE blood agents?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Would you need "Sealed" linked to the DR somehow to have the forcefield protect against AE blood agents?
I'd call it Sealed (As Long As DR Is Intact -10%) if that's how it works generally, but against a Side Effect pure DR is the RAW before fiddling for verisimilitude.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

No, Sealed explicitly says that it only protects against corrosive or toxic agents that require contact with unprotected skin or machinery to have effect. It only protects against Blood Agents and Contact Agents that are corrosive or toxic agents. It also does not protect against touch attacks.

Force Field protects against Blood Agents and Contact Agents because they explicitly cannot penetrate any DR and Force Fields provide DR to every part of the body. The main reason I think why Sealed exists is because it is cheaper than the Force Field enhancement after DR 15, even though it is more limited than Force Field. Force Fields also expliciy protect against touch attacks that do insufficient damage to penetrate DR, such as an Affliction with Malediction and Melee Attack. Sealed does, however, protect after DR is penetrated or destroyed, such as when Ablative DR is depleted or when DR is corroded away.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 08-18-2019 at 01:18 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamior View Post
I suppose that many of you have concerned yourself with something similar and have your own solution to the problem.
HP is easy. You just set your "rules switches" to ignore several effects having to do with Death Checks and Unconsciousness*. And then give out more HP.

The more difficult aspect of D&D, which is directly connected to how much HP a Character has, is Levels. Solve how you want to do Levels†, and HP can easily be made to fall in line.

* Also, which edition of D&D do you wish to emulate? "Old School" dead at 0, Unconsciousness is a GM fiat? 3e's Unconscious at 0, dead at -Arbitrary Number? Something between D&D and GURPS (Unhindered at 1+, Possibly Unconscious at 0, Dead at some number ≤ -10)?

† And levels is one of those insanely difficult, "everyone has their own interpretation of how to do it" problems in 'converting' between GURPS and D&D.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
Plane

Let's see, B110 mentions "works as described above and also when inhaled" so "Doesn't Breathe" would be one defense I guess...

B110-111 does mention "Only targets with the Sealed advantage ... are immune" so I think it ought to work?

Another option is you need A (protected vision or nictating membrane) with B (doesn't breateh or filter lungs) which also stops it if you don't have Sealed.

It's not just the enhancement version of Contact Agent on B111 which specifies sealed.

Though you're right that B82 says "corrosive or toxic agents", I'm not sure if that's meant to be the end-all, because 110/111 do not specify that sealed only stops blood/contact agents of those damage types, it seems to imply it would stop ANY form of damage with those AE enhancements.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #16
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamior View Post
Hello, guys and gals! :) I always had this problem of translating... let me call it "a progression of survivability alongside character advancement" from systems like D&D and many CRPGS (including even Fallout, which was prototypically based off GURPS in many ways, as you well know) to GURPS. At its core GURPS is very realistic and not quite "gamey" enough in this respect. You progress but stay more or less as "squishy" as you were when just starting out as an adventurer.
Yeah, I know that there are cinematic rule options in GURPS. Quite a few (maybe some I'm not aware of due to sheer volume of GURPS official material). Thing is I have trouble making them into a cohesive whole which would be satisfiable for me.
I suppose that many of you have concerned yourself with something similar and have your own solution to the problem. This can be a combination of existing rules, or your own or somebody else's house rules that you use. Best practices, so to speak. Maybe there are popular threads on this forum about this topic on the forum, which I missed.
Would be grateful for any and all your input and suggestions. Cheers! :)
One thing to look at is what D&D HP represents in terms of GURPS and for that the older versions are slightly more help then the newer ones. "Thus, the majority of hit paints are symbolic of combat skill, luck (bestowed by supernatural powers), and magical forces" (PHB1 pg 34)

Heck, the PHB1 flat out stated just how absurd viewing HP as actual physical damage was: "Let us suppose that a 10th level fighter has 55 hit points, plus a bonus of 30 hit points for his constitution, for a total of 85 hit points. This IS the equivalent of about 18 hit dice for creatures, about what it would take to kill four huge warhorses. It is ridiculous to assume that even a fantastic fighter can take that much punishment. The some holds true to a lesser extent for clerics, thieves, and the other classes."

Murphy's Rules had several jokes that all revolved around the misconception that HP did represent physical damage.

This is why the D&D to GURPS page over on GURPS wiki is so vague on exactly what D&D HP equate to

I should point out that Cinematic Advantages can exist in the realistic rule set.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Bruno

Along with the advantage Luck, don't forget Destiny, Impulse Buys, and Serendipity in your toolkit when looking at GURPS vs D&D.

For a "simple" implementation, Vitality Reserve definitely seems the Least Wrong idea (and I find it handy myself for "temporary HP" equivalent concepts).

On the one hand, I generally prefer going into the mixed grab-bag of traits GURPS has on hand to make a unique build for each character. This way the character gets something that suits their style, and makes it easier to distinguish Fighter A vs Cleric B vs Barbarian C.

On the other claw there's a lot to be said for simple. D&D got this far on buckets of HP based on level, it's clearly not that big a problem for most people vs the playability factor.

The gripping hand is you should do whatever works for you and your tabletop group :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
Thamior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
One thing to look at is what D&D HP represents in terms of GURPS and for that the older versions are slightly more help then the newer ones. "Thus, the majority of hit paints are symbolic of combat skill, luck (bestowed by supernatural powers), and magical forces" (PHB1 pg 34)

Heck, the PHB1 flat out stated just how absurd viewing HP as actual physical damage was: "Let us suppose that a 10th level fighter has 55 hit points, plus a bonus of 30 hit points for his constitution, for a total of 85 hit points. This IS the equivalent of about 18 hit dice for creatures, about what it would take to kill four huge warhorses. It is ridiculous to assume that even a fantastic fighter can take that much punishment. The some holds true to a lesser extent for clerics, thieves, and the other classes."

Murphy's Rules had several jokes that all revolved around the misconception that HP did represent physical damage.

This is why the D&D to GURPS page over on GURPS wiki is so vague on exactly what D&D HP equate to

I should point out that Cinematic Advantages can exist in the realistic rule set.
Yeah, considering this I am more and more inclined to do something akin to making a reserve or allowing to spend points to shrug off damage like in cinematic options and/or power-ups. That would be the most accurate representation.
Thamior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
One thing to look at is what D&D HP represents in terms of GURPS and for that the older versions are slightly more help then the newer ones. "Thus, the majority of hit paints are symbolic of combat skill, luck (bestowed by supernatural powers), and magical forces" (PHB1 pg 34) (...)
This is magnificent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Ablative DR has many advantages over HP. Not only does it absorb damage, which protects against injury, side effects, and symptoms, it also protects against Afflictions and any attack with Blood Agent or Contact Agent. It also protects against crippling and shock (...)
This one is very nice indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
(...) Vitality Reserve definitely seems the Least Wrong idea (and I find it handy myself for "temporary HP" equivalent concepts). (...)
Is this for GURPS? Never heard about it.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #20
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Is this for GURPS? Never heard about it.
Vitality Reserve appears in the FAQ and the GURPS wiki.
The later mentions that Vitality Reserve appeared officially in Pyramid 3/75
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hit points