Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #2951
afschell

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Grappling Question:

Let's say one member of a Dire Wolf pack pounces on someone and, after all the rolls, has knocked the target over and is still standing.

My interpretation of the RAW is that Mr. Wolf and the target are in close combat and that the target is now "grappled" with the corresponding -4 to DX penalty. This penalty applies to all defense rolls for either Mr. Wolf's attack next turn or any of his pack mates that may attack either this turn or next. And that all of them can target the neck at -3.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
afschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #2952
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm a little bit surprised the Canadian kickstarters aren't fulfilled from your US hub.
I'm trying to recall if Dungeon Grappling was fulfilled to Canada from a UK printing or USA (checks). Based on the print cost, it looks like DriveThruRPG printed them in the UK, then shipped them to CA (otherwise, the print cost would have been $7.70 instead of less).

I recall that it's expensive and a pain to get to Canada from the USA, but much, much better to go from the UK to Canada, Australia, NZ, and basically not-the-USA.

As Phil has said before, and I've repeated, and I have just read on Google+ today: International shipping sucks, and there's no way around that.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #2953
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
As Phil has said before, and I've repeated, and I have just read on Google+ today: International shipping sucks, and there's no way around that.
As someone who has had to send things to people all over the world, I would like to wholeheartedly agree and buy this statement a drink.

Also, and irrelevantly to the foregoing but relevant to the thread, I'd like to mention that I think Pseudoboo and Blind Mapmaker have been doing excellent work with their ongoing reviews of the DFRPG material, and I'd like to encourage anybody else who might be interested in doing so to write up reviews and post them somewhere. That purple place, perhaps, or RPGGeek.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:20 AM   #2954
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

In looking at the Sample Characters and Delvers to Go, I'm noticing that there aren't any Racial Packages set aside in the character write up. It's all subsumed in the relevant locations. I can only assume this is to simplify how everything is listed.

Is there any concern that this might cause some confusion? Such as;

"My Dwarf should have HT+1 and his HT is 14 for 40 points. Your human has HT 14 for 40 points. Where's my +1?"

I know it sounds a little nitpicky, but I'm trying to stick as close to RAW with DFRPG as possible, including look and feel. Getting everyone's take on it is important to that.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #2955
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
In looking at the Sample Characters and Delvers to Go, I'm noticing that there aren't any Racial Packages set aside in the character write up. It's all subsumed in the relevant locations. I can only assume this is to simplify how everything is listed.

Is there any concern that this might cause some confusion? Such as;

"My Dwarf should have HT+1 and his HT is 14 for 40 points. Your human has HT 14 for 40 points. Where's my +1?"

I know it sounds a little nitpicky, but I'm trying to stick as close to RAW with DFRPG as possible, including look and feel. Getting everyone's take on it is important to that.
That would be my guess - in GURPS 4th edition the racial templates are effectively traits of their own and listed as such. In DFRPG it appears you just list what you get in the relevant sections.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:49 AM   #2956
dbm

Someone over on RPG.net is asking whether the boxset will be available in the UK (link).

I know the short answer is 'yes'; can anyone give a longer answer like how they request it in their FLGS?
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:53 AM   #2957
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
For those who haven't yet ordered the game, you can print this form and take it to your local store:

http://www.sjgames.com/dungeonfantas...preorderdf.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
Someone over on RPG.net is asking whether the boxset will be available in the UK (link).

I know the short answer is 'yes'; can anyone give a longer answer like how they request it in their FLGS?
Here you go.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:01 AM   #2958
dbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
Here you go.
Ta!

(Apparently that is too short by itself!)
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #2959
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Remember that a DFRPG player who hasn't played GURPS isn't going to be expecting his HT to be 30 points for 14, that's a GURPS thing.

The only mechanical difference between racial and professional templates in DFRPG is how the racial disads don't count towards your disad limit. Otherwise your racial template is treated exactly like your professional template, meaning you don't write its traits separately and you don't hide the point costs of its traits in a package.

With the general removal of shapeshifting, except "shapeshift Druid to small harmless animal who does not get the Druids personal modifiers", there's no purpose to complicating how the racial traits are written down.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #2960
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Remember that a DFRPG player who hasn't played GURPS isn't going to be expecting his HT to be 30 points for 14, that's a GURPS thing.
QFT. If you're talking with an old-school GURPS player, just let 'em know that racial traits aren't bundled any more. And in the rare case that someone with no GURPS experience does say something, it's an easy conversation. If the question is . . .

"Wait, shouldn't I have +1 HT as a dwarf? Why is my HT the same as Sue's?"

. . . the answer will generally be either . . .

"Because you have two different templates. She's a barbarian, with HT 13 out of the gate. You're a scout and would normally have just HT 12, but dwarves are so tough that you're as hardy as a barbarian!"

or

"Because she spent 10 points out of her advantage allotment for +1 HT. So where you're extra hardy because of your race, she's extra hardy because that's what she made special about her character."

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy