Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Not

Default Slam with Forced entry?

Forced entry rules specify a foot or an impact weapon to break a door. Can I get a running start and slam one instead?
Old 02-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Slam with Forced entry?

Sure, just use normal collision rules.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Icelander

I'll allow it.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
DangerousThing

I'd also allow it, but a critical failure might be embarrassing. Breaking your arm, shoulder, and face on a door, maybe.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I'd also allow it, but a critical failure might be embarrassing. Breaking your arm, shoulder, and face on a door, maybe.
B558 "Doors and Walls" gives very high HP guidelines which doesn't bode well for the damage a slammer takes by the thing he slams... even the thinnest thing (1/2 inch thick wallboard) has 18 HP per hex... and a door is most likely 2 hexes tall so you're possibly even looking at 36 HP here.

B558 also gives asterisk DR for brick / concrete / stone / wall board / wood.

B559 explains this means it operates as Ablative against crushing attacks down to 1 for wood and 3 for brick/concrete/stone.

I'm not really sure why they put an asterisk next to 1" wood since it's DR is already at the minimum amount (1). Is that a mistake?

If you want to just PUNCH those doors/walls, B379 "hurting yourself" is only a risk if you do 5+ damage against 3+ DR.

Using B401's "Pull Your Punches", if you make sure you strike at 1d-2 (maximum 4 damage) you guarantee you will never hurt yourself as long as you don't roll a critical hit that doubles the damage.

4 damage will deplete the HP, but otherwise 1-3 damage rolls (though they won't deplete the HP) will deplete the DR so that eventually you can deplete HP with future hits.

Furthermore, once you reduce wood DR below 3, you don't have to hold back anymore (DR 3 is required for Hurting Yourself to apply) and you can wail at max ST on that wood with zero risk of splinters. It will ALWAYS be a risk for the other 3 ablative types though.

Anyway: all you need to do is wail on the same spot on the door/wall until DR is as low as possible before you worry about maximizing damage to deplete the HP.

An even more superior strategy is to attack using either Elbow Strike (MA71) or Hammer Fist (MA73) either of which allow a simple point in brawling to reduce the Hurting Yourself threshold to TEN damage, meaning you can inflict up to 1d+3 with impunity and no chance of hurting yourself outside of criticals.

Forced Entry is nice and all but you may not even need it. If you are doing AOA:Strong (+2) combined with Springing Attack (MA88 another +2) the +4 to damage will help pretty quickly whittle down that DR.

It's so incredibly EASY in fact that I have this idea to make it a little harder:

You know that minimum 1 DR that wood will always have and 3DR which brick/concrete/stone will always have? That never-ablative-except-maybe-from-corrosive-acid DR?

I propose that be subtracted FIRST before interacting with the DR which is ablative against crushing.

This prevents a bunch of 1-damage attacks from whittling these down, instead you'd need at least 2 dmg to ablate wood DR with crushing and 4 dmg to ablate the other DRs with crushing.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote