Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: A bow can't benefit from Arm ST (One Arm), right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I don't have a link to the post, but Kromm mentioned that it would go off Striking ST.
Considering that a Ready maneuver is used for drawing a bow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Striking ST lets you hit hard. It's for things that can deliver momentary impulses far in excess of their sustained strength, like a cobra's strike or a martial-artist's power blow. Lifting ST lets you grab and pull in a sustained way using your whole body. Neither would help with reading weapons with the arms. For that, try Arm ST.
Maybe he's just talking about readying melee weapons though?. The ready maneuver used to draw an already-readied bow might be different?

B66 has this conspicuous phrasing:
  • Lifting ST does not boost ST for the purpose of .. throwing distance, or damage inflicted by by melee attacks or thrown weapons.

Bows have assigned ST needed to draw them, so that is what determines distance/damage I think, but perhaps EITHER might apply to drawing?

To get a "best of both worlds" type situation, what if we used Lifting ST for standard bow-drawing (ie when you take an entire second using a Ready maneuver) but if someone is using a "Quick-Draw" technique (drawing the bow as a free action) then they have to use Striking ST?

We should probably also have some rule for "ST required to keep an already-drawn bow drawn". It should be a bit less than the ST it takes to pull the bow (just an isometric hold) but would -1 be too little? That kind of sustained drawing (not immediately loosing the next turn) definitely sounds like Lifting ST.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #12
awesomenessofme1

Well, the discussion is Arm ST vs regular ST, not Lifting ST 's Striking ST. So while somewhat interesting, this conversation isn't really relevant to the thread.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #13
Boge

I think a VERY important aspect of Gurps, which goes overlooked far too often, is that even though the logic would lean towards something different, sometimes the rules are there for gameplay balance instead of realism.

Arm ST or Lifting ST seems more realistic and logical to me for using a bow. But for gameplay and balance purposes, maybe Striking ST is the better option. When in doubt, go with the book rules. That's my take.
Boge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
Culture20

When using a bow, does the arm that holds the bow have a locked elbow? If so, the arm strength for that arm might be irrelevant except to hold the bow.
Culture20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #15
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Well, the discussion is Arm ST vs regular ST, not Lifting ST 's Striking ST. So while somewhat interesting, this conversation isn't really relevant to the thread.
It could be relevant if it were possible to have 1-handed lifting ST or 1-handed striking ST, I guess?

The question is moreso since at least 2 manipulators (usually hands) are needed to draw a bow, how differences in strength between those manipulators would matter.

If we're going to answer this for hands, I'd like if we could answer it for legs / teeth too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
When using a bow, does the arm that holds the bow have a locked elbow? If so, the arm strength for that arm might be irrelevant except to hold the bow.
It's going to matter to some degree, like if you were trying to draw a 100 ST bow with a ST 1 locked arm on the bow and a ST 100 arm pulilng the string, I think there would be a problem... but I would lean to thinking the string arm's ST is more important than the bow arm's ST, as people tend the keep the bow hand pretty rigid and the string hand mobile.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Looking up proper drawing technique (which I probably should have done back when I did some hobby shooting; oh well), it looks like, while you're primarily using the back muscles, both arms move. The gripping arm doesn't move nearly as much, but "locking" it for the duration of the draw is discouraged, as this prevents you from using some of your back muscles. Assuming Arm ST includes the back muscles associated with that arm (and really, given its mechanical effect, it should), I'd say you need to use both arms, rather than my previous suggestion of just needing your weak arm to brace it. It's probably not quite a 50/50 split, with the drawing arm doing more of the work than the gripping arm, but for GURPS terms, 50/50 may well be appropriate. If you allow Arm ST to be averaged for two-handed weapons, doing so here is the way to go. If you want one arm to contribute more than the other, I'd be tempted to go with an 80/20 split, but 70/30 or even 60/40 may be more appropriate.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #17
maximara
On Notice

In a supers setting an archer might even need his arms (see the picture for Bow). Yes, it is silly as all get out but hey it is the Super genre.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
In a supers setting an archer might even need his arms (see the picture for Bow). Yes, it is silly as all get out but hey it is the Super genre.
Well, there is the foot bow, though that is usually drawn with the feet and hands together. There's also a contortionist trick of doing a handstand and shooting a bow with your toes.