Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #2191
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
From the way that backers seem to be clustered geographically, my own guess is that word of mouth was perhaps the largest factor in who backed this project.
The clusters really aren't that big. The 10 biggest cities all have 12-30 people and account for 175 out of 1587 backers. That means that the remaining backers can't be more than 12 to a city, so must be spread out between at least 118 other cities around the world - probably more like 200+ cities because it's unlikely that even most of the remaining locations have 12 people per city. That's not particularly clustered together, and in some of the larger cities I wouldn't be surprised if most the backers in that city had never met one another.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #2192
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
That's not particularly clustered together, and in some of the larger cities I wouldn't be surprised if most the backers in that city had never met one another.
I would; game systems in general spread by word of mouth, resulting in clustering, and there's a decent chance that any given gaming group will have multiple sponsors.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #2193
Rasputin

I wonder if there's a way the geographical clusters can find ways of contacting each other. There's about a dozen backers from Minneapolis, for example. Obviously, Doug and I are two, and about ten others. It would be a way of making an in-face gaming group.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #2194
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I wonder if there's a way the geographical clusters can find ways of contacting each other. There's about a dozen backers from Minneapolis, for example. Obviously, Doug and I are two, and about ten others. It would be a way of making an in-face gaming group.
I had the same thought. It's awfully tantalizing, seeing that there are other backers in your city. It gets you wondering: "Who are they? I wonder if they'd be up for a game?"
Old 10-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #2195
adm

Quote:
Post questions on the Kickstarter Comments section? i.e. "Would anyone who backed the game around Minneapolis want to meet at location X on Saturday?"
Old 10-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #2196
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Post questions on the Kickstarter Comments section? i.e. "Would anyone who backed the game around Minneapolis want to meet at location X on Saturday?"
I tried that to get an estimate on who might be going to Gen Con next year (I'm trying to arrange a meet-up ^_^) and it got very little attention.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #2197
Zarmonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I had the same thought. It's awfully tantalizing, seeing that there are other backers in your city. It gets you wondering: "Who are they? I wonder if they'd be up for a game?"
That's a good point. In fact, it actually inspired me to check and I was quite surprised to find that mine was the 2nd highest city on the list. Hey Seattlites, get in touch!
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #2198
Joe

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way the geographical clusters can find ways of contacting each other. ....It would be a way of making an in-face gaming group.
Quote:
I had the same thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I tried that to get an estimate on who might be going to Gen Con next year (I'm trying to arrange a meet-up ^_^) and it got very little attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
Hey Seattlites, get in touch!
An idea:
What if we, the mad super-fans, arranged some get-togethers for backers-and friends-of-the-game in our respective local cities? We could schedule them for May, or June, or whenever the boxed set actually arrives, when everyone who backed is excited, discussion is at its height, and people are looking to game. We could use local game stores, perhaps, MiB style. It would be a grand unboxing and one-off starter session, playing right out of the box.

To facilitate this, SJGames wouldn't have to do anything except send out an email to backers, notifying them of the times and locations of events going on in their home cities. The email would also include contact email addresses for the people organizing things in each city. The event itself would be fun, and even if no-one turned up, it's still a win, since backers in that city would now have a way of contacting each other, through the event organizer.

I'm not sure whether this is workable or not. No doubt there are many problems with it I haven't thought of. But building the fanbase is obviously worthwhile - and this would perhaps prime excitement for when the physical copies arrive in stores, too.

Last edited by Joe; 10-14-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #2199
Christopher R. Rice

I think that's a damn fine idea. Don't know about the higher-ups.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #2200
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
An idea:
What if we, the mad super-fans, arranged some get-togethers for backers-and friends-of-the-game in our respective local cities? We could schedule them for May, or June, or whenever the boxed set actually arrives, when everyone who backed is excited, discussion is at its height, and people are looking to game. We could use local game stores, perhaps, MiB style. It would be a grand unboxing and one-off starter session, playing right out of the box.

To facilitate this, SJGames wouldn't have to do anything except send out an email to backers, notifying them of the times and locations of events going on in their home cities. The email would also include contact emails for the people organizing things in each city. The event itself would be fun, and even if no-one turned up, it's still a win, since backers in that city would now have a way of contacting each other, through the event organizer.

I'm not sure whether this is workable or not. No doubt there are many problems with it I haven't thought of. But building the fanbase is obviously worthwhile - and this would perhaps prime excitement for when the physical copies arrive in stores, too.
Seems like a good plan, we'll have to work out the details a bit more, but I'll add it to the List Of Things That Are Good Ideas And Also In The Future. (LOTTAGIAAITF for short).
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy