Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Desthro

Default [Gear] with alternate prerequisites

I accidentally pressed enter when altering my post..
GEAR with alternate prereqs
I was wondering if anyone had given this some serious thought, about weapons with say.. min IQ instead of min ST, and things of that nature. Or even mundane gear with esoteric requirements like, needs Enhanced Time Sense as a prereq for its special abilities to function.

I know the limiting enchantment from GURPS magic can do this, but its inspecific and I am wondering if there is any way that this can be done?

Last edited by Desthro; 07-10-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: with alternate prerequisites

If the gear is store-gear, just stat it the way you want.

If the gear is gadget-based, it would be an accessibility limitations.(basic p110).
Or, possibly, a power modifier.

Obvious example would be gear that only work on people with magery or psionic talent, smart weapons that only answer to sapient (iq6+) characters, and so on.

But mostly, it is a special effect decided by the GM, there is no specific rules, i think.

Celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-10-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
The Benj

I see no reason that you couldn't have items with these kind of requirements. Like in a game with psionics you could make them mostly machine-enabled by having items that only work for someone with Empathy, Danger Sense, Intuition or the like. And/or have a minWill stat.

Or, returning to your ETS requirement idea, a neural interface could require you to be able to process information at superhuman speeds in order to use it properly.

Mechanically, if it's for equipment you'd just add these requirements on as appropriate to your setting. If it's for Gadget-based Advantages, you can just fix prerequisites for stuff (again, as appropriate to your setting).
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If the gear is store-gear, just stat it the way you want.

If the gear is gadget-based, it would be an accessibility limitations.(basic p110). Or, possibly, a power modifier.
I wouldn't permit that. Presumably you'd only buy the gadget if you had the required prerequisite, so it's a not a restriction that limits you.

Quote:
But mostly, it is a special effect decided by the GM, there is no specific rules, i think.
Mostly. I'm not altogether sure what sort of rules you could postulate anyway. OK, leg armor is useless if you have No Legs. What exactly could you specify beyond that? I would point out though, that for there to be much gear that expects a particular trait, the trait probably has to be relatively common. Designing, let alone inventing, equipment is hard work, if the market isn't very big, not much of it is going to get done.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If the gear is gadget-based, it would be an accessibility limitations.(basic p110).
Or, possibly, a power modifier.
If it's gadget-based, just have in the flavor text "Character must also have X" and possibly reduce the value of "Can be stolen" to something like 2/3 or so ("Will not work unless thief has X" better than "Will work for thief" and worse than "Will not work for thief").

Of course, if X is so common/rare that it works out to "almost everyone" or "almost no one" than it is treated as such. Super-tech goggles that grant Penetrating Vision to everyone who isn't blind is straight up "Can be stolen", while an artifact that only works for one of the half-dozen or so alien/human hybrids on the planet is "Can be stolen, doesn't work for thief".

If X has a power modifier, give the same to the gadget, since anything that neutralizes the power probably neutralizes the ability to use the gadget.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I wouldn't permit that. Presumably you'd only buy the gadget if you had the required prerequisite, so it's a not a restriction that limits you.
I agree, and i was unsure about suggesting it.

However, there are GM who insist on stating everything, and if a NPC have a gadget that can be stolen and used by player, putting an accessibility on it is an option.

But i like RyanW idea of limiting 'can be stolen, usable by thief' more.
harder to stat, but much more elegant.

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
MagiMaster

Actually, Powers states that prerequisites are not worth points (though I'd agree with modifying "will work for thief"), so even if the GM stats everything, it'd be a bunch of +0% features.
MagiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desthro View Post
I accidentally pressed enter when altering my post..
GEAR with alternate prereqs
I was wondering if anyone had given this some serious thought, about weapons with say.. min IQ instead of min ST, and things of that nature. Or even mundane gear with esoteric requirements like, needs Enhanced Time Sense as a prereq for its special abilities to function.

I know the limiting enchantment from GURPS magic can do this, but its inspecific and I am wondering if there is any way that this can be done?
Sure. It can be done arbitrarily. A computer that operates by direct mind to machine interface but you need a minimum intelligence or it'll kill you. I saw that on Doctor Who last night.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Desthro

Default Re: [Gear] with alternate prerequisites

I suppose I never really thought of statting the gear as a gadget, this is more of a personal exercise than it is a GM issue. As a GM I would have no trouble at all giving items and such different requirements. Mostly beause I'd just hand-waive the issue and call it done.

Thanks for the suggestions! It helps a lot!
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote