Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #21
Helborn

Default Re: Question about ST cost when using a staff occult attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Your ruling that you could hit with a staff to do the damage without using ST seems reasonable enough to me, though I don't think the rules say that. It is an upgrade of capabilities - e.g. compare Staff I, where otherwise there would usually be almost no reason to spend 1 ST, since hitting with the staff would usually be the same effect, but not cost ST with your ruling. Or see hcobb's ST 6 cacklers above.
I look at the 3d damage from picking up someone else's staff and think that 1d damage from touching with it is not out of line. To extend the effect by pointing it costs 1 ST. At Staff I it makes no difference, but when you get to a 2 hex range (Staff III), then pointing it and using 1 ST begins to make sense. Also at Staff IV, when it becomes a free action, then the cost remains IFF you aren't using the Staff as a weapon and touching - which means you have to come within striking distance of your enemy.

Right now I'm playing around with a Wizard who took Pole Weapons and is using a Spear (silver) as a Staff. That gives her a 2 hex jab on top of the occult strike as well as the other benefits of Pole Weapons.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #22
Skarg

As a house rule, sure, it's not going to seriously upset anything too much. After all, the original TFT staffs did 1d for no ST cost for a touch attack. Or 2d for Staff of Power. Of course they also lacked all of the other new staff attack effects, and the ability to store mana. (It'll just make staffs a bit more convenient/versatile than they already are, and reduce the relevance of their physical shape.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Right now I'm playing around with a Wizard who took Pole Weapons and is using a Spear (silver) as a Staff. That gives her a 2 hex jab on top of the occult strike as well as the other benefits of Pole Weapons.
Though technically valid using RAW, I wouldn't allow this in my own games. It bleeds too far into 'enchanted weapon' territory for me. A wizard's staff should not be functional as another type of weapon IMO.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #24
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Though technically valid using RAW, I wouldn't allow this in my own games. It bleeds too far into 'enchanted weapon' territory for me. A wizard's staff should not be functional as another type of weapon IMO.
How about the wizard/dagger connection? Or is that just a D&D trope?

"The athame's primary use is to channel and direct psychic energy"

What would you do with the spear of the Zoroastrian maga?

Last edited by hcobb; 04-23-2019 at 04:13 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #25
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How about the wizard/dagger connection? Or is that just a D&D trope?

"The athame's primary use is to channel and direct psychic energy"
TBH, I'd like to do something special with that... not dependent on the staff spell rules.

Tags
occult attack, rules clarification, staff spell