Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2017, 02:45 AM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: X-Files level characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
No, ten is the baseline human average strength.

Military service by nature of its physical entrance requirements probably has an ST of 11 at point of entry and ST 12+ after basic.
10 is default Gurps stats, not average, normal, or anything else for any real world population except by sheer coincidence.

I'm quite stronger than my brothers all of which are or were in the military. I'm not 12+ St by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 12-31-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:44 AM   #52
Alonsua
Banned

I would really appreciate getting a copy for character sheets of these ones, so I can put them on my own setting :)
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #53
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
FBI Special Agent: 90 points

You are a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This is the basic template to use for a rookie FBI Field Agent.

Attributes: ST 10 [0], DX 10 [0], IQ 11 [20], HT 11 [10].
I really think you should have ST be 11 or 12, same for DX. See my post above about the entrance exam. At the very least being able to do the 30 continuous pushups puts them in above average ST, so greater than 10.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 AM   #54
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
10 is default Gurps stats, not average, normal, or anything else for any real world population except by sheer coincidence.

I'm quite stronger than my brothers all of which are or were in the military. I'm not 12+ St by any stretch of the imagination.
Incorrect.

Please see GURPS basic set pg 14 in the little box there. 10 is average as well as default.

If you are personally strong enough to pass the FBI entrance exam (see link I posted earlier; it is more stringent then the military entrance exam) you have above average strength, literally by definition ( http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...ome-pushup.htm ).

According to the link I sent earlier they need to AT A MINIMUM achieve those scores, and then have to have 'bonus points' somewhere to make up a total score (So some agents are just going to kill the pushups, sit-ups, and pull ups to make their total score, others are going to run like the wind, etc), I was just focusing on the minimums, but practically because of the way that the scoring system is put together there are two to three categories where the potential agent will have to exceed those minimums somewhere, and significantly, in order to achieve a high enough total score to pass.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #55
Kesendeja

When we designed the template we did a great deal of research on the training program at Quantico. Most of the physical fitness regime seemed aimed at stamina, not muscle or agility, hence only raising HT.

The skill instruction seemed to be more important as well.

Both factors, and a desire to actually let players customize a standard 150 pt character with another template, led us to keep the cost down to 90 pts.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:01 AM   #56
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
FBI Special Agent: 90 points

(SNIP)
I find this quite sane and reasonable.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #57
Icelander

Strength is one thing, but strength for a given mass is more relevant for how capable someone would be at certain Attribute for a given mass. That is a lot more relevant to acrobatic stunts than a certain muscle for a given ST.

World class athletes are light for their ST score. Someone who weights a normal amount, but can make an X number of pull-ups, might not be a world class competitor like someone with a very good power level per pound, but is able to make very many pull-ups, i.e. is able to perform at a much higher level per pound than a failed acrobat.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-01-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #58
Jareth Valar

Quote:
I really think you should have ST be 11 or 12, same for DX. See my post above about the entrance exam. At the very least being able to do the 30 continuous pushups puts them in above average ST, so greater than 10.
I disagree. I am in corrections and a couch potato as well as overweight. My strength is definitely not above a 10 (possibly lower) and can do the push-ups. The ability to do 30 consecutively is more endurance, not strength.

Also, after looking at the FBI website, there is very little to think that strength training is included, it all seems akin to endurance. Also, from several accounts of current and past FBI agents in various forums, physical confrontation is quite rare. So, again, why a higher strength. Either as a requirement or as training.

As for base DX. If the FBI can get the same end result with skill training for what DX based skills than basic attribute training with fewer points, or more to the point focused training, then that is far more efficient.

This template seems a good baseline for average Joe Schmuckatelly agent number 0 and seems to cover just about everything the website lists (interesting thought on Combat Driving technique). Without visiting personally or having a curriculum breakdown, I can't see anything else to add really.

If this is to run a game more interested in TV/Movie FBI, then very few of the agents shown in the movies or shows would have ST of 11 or 12. Criminal Minds, X-Files (Scully is NOT a 12 ST, IMHO), Numbers, 24, Twin Peaks, Fringe, Without a Trace, Quantico, etc; most characters seems to be average except that they are obviously above average IQ and engage in enough fitness to pass basic training and yearly re-qualifications. IQ 11, and HT 11 with no reduction in FP, Per or WP seems good enough for a start.

Just my observations.

Last edited by Jareth Valar; 01-01-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 AM   #59
Jareth Valar

Also, basing the fact that the FBI gives you training guidelines for Phase II. https://www.fbijobs.gov/sites/default/files/PFT_Guide.pdf, this would make qualification rolls a little easier.

The only mechanical nit-pick I can find ATM (considering well past my bed time) would be the 300 m dash. To get the min time required for males you would need a Base Move of 6 (45.55 sec), a Base Move 5 would only get you 54.66 sec.

However, since this is closer to the minimum required instead of 5 points on the chart, I'm inclined to agree).

I will nit pick it more at another time.
Jareth Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:41 AM   #60
joppeknol

Quote:

If you are personally strong enough to pass the FBI entrance exam (see link I posted earlier; it is more stringent then the military entrance exam) you have above average strength, literally by definition ( http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...ome-pushup.htm ).
Like what Icelander says,, this is not a measure of strength. A woman who weights 50kgs might be able to do 100 pushups but is still less strong than I am. (overweight, slightly above average STR male). I simply have more muscles than she has (by having almost twice as much mass), even though she is in much better shape, has higher HT, and is probably capable of doing stunts that I cannot think of.

I thought I once read that STR 10 is for the average male. There is quite a difference in average STR between (untrained) males and females in my experience. That would make STR 11 almost standard for a male person.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, conspiracy, conspiricy, delta green, federal agencies, x-files