Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: X-Files level characters

I disagree, but that's off topic for this thread.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #32
tshiggins

I started the Facets characters at 125 points. That gave them enough to have one really nice stat, one good one, and enough skills and talents to have regular jobs, as well as the survival and outdoorsy skills suitable for a Search and Rescue team.

I was also very clear that most professionals have skills of about 13, or so, and wouldn't let anybody take any more than one or two skills (maybe) at 14. Several of them had no skills that high, at the start of the game.

For Mulder and Scully, I'd say they're both veteran law enforcement agents with significant side interests. Mulder had a reputation in the FBI as one of the bureau's finest psychological profilers, responsible for catching several serial killers, before he "went off the deep end" and got the assignment he'd been working to earn. Scully was a fine forensic medical doctor with decent surgery skills, as well as having the law enforcement powers.

I'd put them at 150 points, each. A bit better than skilled civilian SAR volunteers, and definitely more focused, but neither Mulder nor Scully could go toe-to-toe with a special operative. Lots of times, their butts got hauled out of the fire because they each had powerful patrons -- especially Mulder, with his friends in the U.S. Senate, and then Scully, who always had Skinner to watch her back even more than he did Mulder's.

Last edited by tshiggins; 12-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #33
Kesendeja

Okay, here's another question. Where do I base them. DC seems logical, but I was wondering if another location would work and wanted opinions.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #34
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
Okay, here's another question. Where do I base them. DC seems logical, but I was wondering if another location would work and wanted opinions.
While the FBI HQ is in the DC metro area, nearly every major city in the nation has a local FBI office for easier coordination with state and big city police forces. This office may just be a desk in the police barracks/station, with a single agent as liaison; I'd expect that in all but the top ten metro areas. The top ten would likely have a small suite in the federal building, I think.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #35
AlexanderHowl

A FBI game set in Anchorage Alaska during the winter would make an interesting campaign. I just wonder what the characters would have had to have done before the same to deserve such a posting. In case anyone is curious, the website is https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/anchorage.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #36
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A FBI game set in Anchorage Alaska during the winter would make an interesting campaign. I just wonder what the characters would have had to have done before the same to deserve such a posting. In case anyone is curious, the website is https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/anchorage.
Three agents, presumably at least a couple clerical people. How about the Fairbanks suboffice. That must get real lonely in winter.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #37
AlexanderHowl

The FBI does not have permanent secondary offices (the field offices are the smallest permanent unit). When they are investigating crimes though, they will often request office space from local and state law enforcement offices if there are no nearby field offices. Additionally, they might rent office space if they feel the need to establish a temporary office to support an investigation.

In the case of a Fairbanks campaign, you would need a reason for the FBI to be involved long enough to have them rent office space for the winter. A public corruption and/or civil rights investigation have enough urgency to justify a winter investigation. If the mayor of Fairbanks was taking bribes from a charter school company that was disenfranchising Native American students, that might justify a winter investigation and might make a good campaign (though I would suggest five agents and ten support staff). The FBI would probably also rent a few houses and several vehicles for the temporary office.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 AM   #38
dcarson

I didn't pick Fairbanks at random. From the Anchorage FBI webpage
Quote:
Resident Agencies
Along with our main office in Anchorage, we have two satellite offices, known as resident agencies, in the area.

Fairbanks
Areas covered: Fairbanks North Star Borough, central and northern Alaska
Juneau
Areas covered: City and Borough of Juneau, southeastern Alaska
Looking at the FBI main website

Quote:
Each field office is overseen by a special agent in charge, except our offices in Los Angeles, New York City, and Washington, D.C., which are headed by an assistant director in charge due to their large size. Within these field offices are a total of about 380 resident agencies located in smaller cities and towns. Resident agencies are managed by supervisory special agents.
So the Fairbanks has a supervisory special agent. Possibly with no other agents to supervise since the main office only has three agents. I'd assume at least one clerical/support type so there is someone in the office when the supervisory special agent is out agenting.

Unless the main office has more and they only list the management level agents.

Last edited by dcarson; 12-27-2017 at 05:07 AM.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #39
AlexanderHowl

Good point about the residence offices, I had forgotten about them because the majority of the USA is close enough to a field office to not require them. Fairbanks seems to have a three-agent team (https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/cop...orth-to-alaska), though I did not find any numbers for the support staff (which I would imagine would be a half-dozen people).
Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #40
Kesendeja

I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands if I sent them to Alaska in the middle of the winter.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, conspiracy, conspiricy, delta green, federal agencies, x-files