Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Bullet Damage Calculator?`

Hey GURPS forum-folk! I'm trying to find damage dice for somewhat obscure (i.e. not on wikipedia) guns, but I'm having trouble finding a joules-to-damage converter. I think someone here had a calculator already built for that though.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Bullet Damage Calculator?`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Hey GURPS forum-folk! I'm trying to find damage dice for somewhat obscure (i.e. not on wikipedia) guns, but I'm having trouble finding a joules-to-damage converter. I think someone here had a calculator already built for that though.
give me caliber and energy, and I'll get you a damage number. If you can get me the mass and length I can tell you a few other things too.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
It's not so simple as X joules does y damage. It's energy relative to the area it's being delivered on that matters. The more energy over the smallest area (assuming the impactor can survive the impact) the better.

Douglas has a custom spread sheet that'll pump out pretty close to RAW numbers but it is more calibrated against 3rd's numbers so a few types of rounds will be slightly off from each other. The way he computes range is also different from though it's more correct then the one GURPS uses. that, however is at the expense of being complex to the point that only die hard crunch heads dare tread through it. From what I've heard the one used in house is more "gamer friendly" though still very crunchy non-the-less.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Douglas has a custom spread sheet that'll pump out pretty close to RAW numbers but it is more calibrated against 3rd's numbers so a few types of rounds will be slightly off from each other.
This shouldn't be true, by the way. 3rd and 4th edition use the same basic rule: 20d = DR70 = 1 inch of armor steel. So the penetration numbers are the same.

Quote:
The way he computes range is also different from though it's more correct then the one GURPS uses. that, however is at the expense of being complex to the point that only die hard crunch heads dare tread through it. From what I've heard the one used in house is more "gamer friendly" though still very crunchy non-the-less.
I've seen both; they're not that different at the core. But you're right about the range thing - it is different.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
lwcamp

Here's some tools I wrote up that do a fairly good job of replicating GURPS firearms:
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Equipment/...s/GunStuff.php
Note - damage is expressed in points rather than dice. Convert to dice in the normal manner.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
This shouldn't be true, by the way. 3rd and 4th edition use the same basic rule: 20d = DR70 = 1 inch of armor steel. So the penetration numbers are the same.
I could sworn that Han's shifted some of the numbers around, such as changing the damage done by the ol Ma' Duce from 13d to 12d. Either that or I'm going nuts... given my job.... probably going nuts.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 09-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
I could sworn that Han's shifted some of the numbers around, such as changing the damage done by the ol Ma' Duce from 13d to 12d. Either that or I'm going nuts... given my job.... probably going nuts.
I think the full-size barrel M2 (43" or so) is still 13d, while some of the shorter barreled ones are less.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
(E)

When the AtE weapon discussion was in full swing I had a look for some numbers on big bore air rifles.
One of the most powerful hunting ones was a "dragon slayer" 225 and 250 grain slugs traveling at 727 and 597 fps respectively from a single shot .50 caliber. While I did the calculations on the damage I was never too confident in my result. What damages do people get from that data? They where firing pure lead rounds and I think the lighter slug was hollow point. The velocity diminished markedly after 2 or 3 shots.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:15 AM   #9
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
When the AtE weapon discussion was in full swing I had a look for some numbers on big bore air rifles.
One of the most powerful hunting ones was a "dragon slayer" 225 and 250 grain slugs traveling at 727 and 597 fps respectively from a single shot .50 caliber. While I did the calculations on the damage I was never too confident in my result. What damages do people get from that data? They where firing pure lead rounds and I think the lighter slug was hollow point. The velocity diminished markedly after 2 or 3 shots.

Using my attempt at backwards engineering how GURPS stat gun damage I get 5d+2 for the 225 grain one and 5d for the 250 grain one. Doug's formula gives 6d+2 for the 225grain one and 5d+2 for the 250 one.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 AM   #10
(E)

Quote:
Using my attempt at backwards engineering how GURPS stat gun damage I get 5d+2 for the 225 grain one and 5d for the 250 grain one. Doug's formula gives 6d+2 for the 225grain one and 5d+2 for the 250 one.
Thanks for that
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, calculator, damage, foot-pounds, joules