Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #1
talpion16

Default Need help with a Supers characters. >.<

So its a supers campaign 1600 points 100 in disadvantages, I want a power almost like this https://powerlisting.fandom.com/wiki...on_Empowerment . I wan't to set up my power levels depending on the emotions of humans, like i can draw on human happiness or love, and thats my base powers, not drain them of emotions just use human emotions to gain my powers, and almost have different power levels depending on the emotion and power of the emotion I am using, so if the planet would be getting attacked and everyone afraid i could use fear to make myself stronger, but I want it to be almost a light side dark side thing, using negative emotions like hate and fear can potentially make me stronger, but not something i ever like to do as a hero. Thats kind of the idea I have for it but im not really sure how to go about it, i have all the books but wasnt able to find anything specific along those lines.
talpion16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Need help with a Supers characters. >.<

First, you need to list the emotions you want to draw power from. To make it easier for now lets use the Lanterns (ignoring life and death and the ultras).

Thats:

Love
Compassion
Hope
Willpower
Fear
Greed
Rage

Next, How close must you be to the source for you to be effected? We also want it to stack, the more people near you that feel the same emotion, the more of your power you can tap into, this should also allow for further range too so you can get effected by the whole world if something like that happens.

Then, what powers do you get access to with what emotion? You should have a "base" power that you have when you draw on the emotions of those around you, plus a specific power for each type of emotion.

After all that we can start to fine tune everything to fit your budget.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Refplace

Basically by the desired abilities on an increasing Accessibility or Environmental limitation.The Horde limitation from GURPS Zombies is a good model.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Anders

For drawing on negative emotions, I suggest using the Corruption rules from Horror if you have that. Otherwise, maybe have a Fright or Madness check as backlash?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

1600 CP allows for some pretty substantial builds, especially when you consider the multiplier effect of Allies in the GURPS system. For example, I could take Ally (150%; 15-; Minion, +50%; Summomable, +100%) [75] to summon a 2400 CP ally to fight on my behalf. In fact, I could afford Ally Group (50 people; 150%; 15-; Minion, +50%; Summonable, +100%) [750] to summon a large group of 2400 CP individuals to fight on my behalf. In your setting, these could be angels, demons, minor gods, etc. who represent the emotion of the character.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
talpion16

Ok so the main emotions I was thinking was love, happiness, anger, and fear something like that, would the cost of points for the range to be the whole world be too much?
And I want base super strength, speed, durability, and flight, some increased healing, but not sure what powers depending on emotion, what might be good? i do want things amplified depending on what emotion im feeding from and the strength of it in humans at that time. I do like the idea of the corruption also something along those lines might be good
Old 07-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by talpion16 View Post
Ok so the main emotions I was thinking was love, happiness, anger, and fear something like that, would the cost of points for the range to be the whole world be too much?
So you want to only be able to draw on those 4 emotions? Then you also have to define those emotions. What is "Love"? "Happiness"? "Anger"? "Fear"? This is so that you can better quantify any modifiers as well as spell everything out for your GM. Its so that nothing down the line happens that would cause trouble, Also make sure they are distinct and different. Anger and Fear and Love are all very different from one another but Happiness overlaps with Love.

As for range, kinda. There are ways to make the cost not be so much but then, think about it, If the range it the whole planet then that means you will always have access to your full power because there will be plenty of people feeling everyone of those emotions at any given time.

My golden rule when making characters is to not be a munchkin. There are plenty of people here, though, that do nothing but be munchkins and try to find loopholes in the GMs games.

Quote:
And I want base super strength, speed, durability, and flight, some increased healing, but not sure what powers depending on emotion, what might be good? i do want things amplified depending on what emotion im feeding from and the strength of it in humans at that time. I do like the idea of the corruption also something along those lines might be good
Why flight? that seems like an oddball in the bunch.

As for the rest, How strong do you want to be at base? How fast? How durable? How quick do you want to heal?

Here is a sample:

Base form (cost 410 total)

You are 10 times stronger than your average person, able to lift 10 times as much and hit 10 times harder. You can shrug off anything damage smaller than your average pistol (DR 12) thanks to your tough skin, after that your body can still take a beating, reducing injury down to a quarter of what it should be (rounding up). These injuries heal at a rate of 1 hp per hour. On top of that you can move really fast compared to a normal person, if your Basic move is 5, thanks to this base form it is 20, you use this score for all movement. You can go from a stand still to 20 on the same turn, slams are calculated based of this, you can turn on a dime, and your step size is calculated of this as well.

Striking ST +22 (PM, -10%) [99]
Lifting ST +22 (PM, -10%) [60]
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction 1/4 (PM, -10%) [90]
Damage Resistance 12 (Tough Skin, -40%; No Signature, +20%; PM, -10%) [42]
Regeneration (regular) (PM, -10%) [23]
Enhanced Move (second Nature +150%; PM, -10%) 2 [96]

Rage Form (688 points)
For each person near you that you draw from, your Strength increases. This lasts for as long as there are people feeling that emotion or 1 minute. The more people around that share the rage, the more powerful you become, this caps off at +200 ST, making you over 440 times stronger than your average person.

ST +5 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 1 person, -5%; PM, -10%) [33]
ST +5 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 2 person, -10%; PM, -10%) [30]
ST +10 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 3-5 person, -15%; PM, -10%) [55]
ST +10 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 6-10 person, -20%; PM, -10%) [50]
ST +20 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 11-20 person, -25%; PM, -10%) [90]
ST +20 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 21-50 person, -30%; PM, -10%) [80]
ST +30 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 51-100 person, -35%; PM, -10%) [105]
ST +30 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 101-200 person, -40%; PM, -10%) [90]
ST +30 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 201-400 person, -45%; PM, -10%) [75]
ST +40 (does not increase HP, -20%; Only with assistants, 401-800 person, -50%; PM, -10%) [80]

EDIT:: I actually found something pretty cool for you:

So the power you have is part of Emotion Empowerment. You have access to Anger Empowerment, Fear Empowerment, Hope Empowerment, and Love Empowerment. ( I say these cause hope will oppose fear, and Love opposes anger).

The more people around you that are feeling one of these emotions, the more power you can tap into from the emotion. You can sense these emotions.

Empathy (Cosmic, NDRR, +100%; Remote, +50%; Link, Detect, +10%; PM, -10%) [38]
Detect (Humans; Vague, -50%; Lock-on, +50%; Cosmic, NDRR, +100%; Long Range 2, +100%; Link, Empathy, +10%; PM-10%) [60]

Detect lets you sense every "human". It does not tell you where they are or how many, but it lets you lock on to them and then use empathy to check their emotions. This way you know what everyone around you is feeling.

Then you have this:

Only with assistants of a certain emotion, 1-819200, -55%

I took the above Only with assistants, did it to 20 levels to get a "Max cost" of -100% (thats where 819200 people come from) and then I assume 10 levels for the emotion powers and put it through the "Costs Fatigue, Variable" formula. Slap that to all your powers and make sure their are "10" levels to each. The more people around you that share the same emotion, the more you can use.

Last edited by zoncxs; 07-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

The whole world ends up being Increased Range 19, +190%, or Area Effect 24, +1200%, depending on the nature of the ability. For example, if you want to afflict everyone with the ecstasy of love, it might be Affliction (HT; Area Effect 24, +1200%; Cosmic, Irresistible Attack, +300%; Ecstasy, +100%; Emanation, -20%) [168]. That is rather cheap for an attack that would effect billions of people, cause tens of millions of accidents, and result in hundreds of thousands of fatalities (car accidents, drownings, house fires, etc.). While they would die with a smile on their face, they would still die, so global attacks may be undesirable.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Ok so the main emotions I was thinking was love, happiness, anger, and fear something like that, would the cost of points for the range to be the whole world be too much?d
That's the same as having no range at all. At that point what you are talking about is just a set of emotion themed super-powers. Which is fine. Simple to design and use.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #10
talpion16

so would it be better to have just the range on my ability or almost having it as just a planet bound ability with a power reserve in case i need to go off planet?

Tags
supers