Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-03-2016, 02:32 AM   #21
swordtart

Default Re: Unofficial Errata and FAQ List

The key point is the next sentence...

"A vehicle or component may be sold for salvage. Salvage value is (original cost - repair cost). Damaged parts may be bought for this value, or sold for half this value."

This implies only damaged parts take a price hit but my assumption was that this applies to all parts (in which case the words "Damaged Parts" should be replaced with "A vehicle or component" to match the first sentence) thus even a part with zero damage can be bought for 100% of the list price but is sold for only 50% of list value.

So you have a $10,000 car. You want to remove component X that costs $1000 and replace it with component Y that costs $2000 (increasing the value of the car to $11,00)

You can pay for the cost of the Y plus 10% ($2200) and sell X for 50% of it's value ($500).

Net cost = 2200 - 500 = $1800

Or you can sell the whole car for $5000 and buy new one with Y already fitted for $11,000.

Net cost = 11,000 - 5000 = $6000

In addition in a campaign it may take days for that new car to be delivered, swapping a component will generally be quicker.

Further more, if you fit a component you have salvaged rather than buying one, you will only pay the 10% to have it fitted.

Last edited by swordtart; 01-03-2016 at 02:43 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #22
Fredford

I thought of that, but felt that interpretation was a stretch. Then again, I tend to be too literal-minded when reading rules, probably due to having witnessed, or been part of, too many rules arguments - easier to go with the letter of the rule than to debate shades of meaning.

But, seeing someone else make the stretch leaves it easier for me to do it as well. Though it does mean converting amatuer night winnings (i.e. the car you keep) into a meaningful bankroll will take longer. Thanks

Last edited by Fredford; 01-03-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Fredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #23
Racer

Okay I've noticed many designs with High Torque Motors lose more than the noted 20mph to Top Speed - i.e 90mph to 67.5mph - while they are activated . Did the rules change and I missed it ? How about HDHTMs ?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #24
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Okay I've noticed many designs with High Torque Motors lose more than the noted 20mph to Top Speed - i.e 90mph to 67.5mph - while they are activated . Did the rules change and I missed it ? How about HDHTMs ?
HTMs reduce Top Speed by 1/4, HDHTMs by 1/3. (2051 Uncle Al's Supplement article)

20 MPH is the Top Speed gain from Overdrive.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #25
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
HTMs reduce Top Speed by 1/4, HDHTMs by 1/3. (2051 Uncle Al's Supplement article)

20 MPH is the Top Speed gain from Overdrive.
The original Pyramid page states : When engaged, the acceleration of the vehicle is increased by 5, and top speed is reduced by 20 mph . I have a photocopy in my CWC2 . This differs from the online Pyramid Car Wars article resources article . As there are so many mistakes in the transfer from printed to the online articles , I was wondering if it was a genuine rule change or a mistake ? I actually only read the online article for first time today .

As you stated Overdrive gives +20mph to Top Speed - in the original article HTMs do the opposite - +5mph to Acceleration , for -20mph Top Speed - which is logical .

I've posted multiple designs here & elsewhere using HTMs , which drop Top Speed by 20mph - my Bugatti Aquila for example - but no one has mentioned the discrepancy before ??

HDHTMs appear unchanged .

Last edited by Racer; 01-03-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #26
Parody

Quote:
The original Pyramid page states : When engaged, the acceleration of the vehicle is increased by 5, and top speed is reduced by 20 mph . I have a photocopy in my CWC2 ....
HTMs were new for Pyramid Online; the article I linked is their first appearance. If you have something else it might be a playtest version from the folks who came up with them. Does your printout perhaps look like this not-quite-final version of the article?

Wayback Machine Archive of WIP Update Article from Rob Deis' website.

Unforunately, the other page on that site where this information would have appeared does not have an early enough copy in the Internet Archive to show older/other versions of HTMs. (RMADA Playtest Equipment.)

Quote:
I've posted multiple designs here & elsewhere using HTMs , which drop Top Speed by 20mph - my Bugatti Aquila for example - but no one has mentioned the discrepancy before ??
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't normally spend time looking over people's design suggestions. Sorry.

Last edited by Parody; 01-04-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #27
Racer

Yes that looks like it . I wasn't 100% sure when the magazine ceased to be printed , as copies were still available in a London games shop as late as 2002 . I only purchased issues with Car Wars articles when I saw them & a number went missing during a move .

I took Sword Boy at his word - as he subscribed - , that it from the magazine when I made my copy . Every single person I've played with in the UK , uses -20mph to Top Speed version of the rules & I was none the wiser . I cannot use Combat Garage via my phone , so was unaware of the changes there either . *shrugs*

Last edited by Racer; 01-04-2016 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Grammar & spelling .
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 AM   #28
Parody

Quote:
Yes that looks like it . I wasn't 100% sure when the magazine ceased to be printed , as copies were still available in a London games shop as late as 2002 . I only purchased issues with Car Wars articles when I saw them & a number went missing during a move .
1998 was the last year of Print Pyramid. Pyramid Online ran until 2008. (Pyramid Volume page.)

Quote:
I took Sword Boy at his word - as he subscribed - , that it from the magazine when I made my copy . Every single person I've played with in the UK , uses -20mph to Top Speed version of the rules & I was none the wiser . I cannot use Combat Garage via my phone , so was unaware of the changes there either . *shrugs*
Well, now you know, and knowing is half the battle. :)

Last edited by Parody; 01-04-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #29
Magesmiley

For those who haven't noticed, I've been reworking one of the posts at the top of the thread to become the start of a comprehensive vehicle design fix list. The intent is to have a list of fixes to bring vehicles inline with the Compendium and UACFH (Classic is a subset of the Compendium, so they will be inline there as well) and also correct accounting and rules issues. The list currently includes designs from Classic and some of those from the Compendium (I'm still working through those). Scott has given an ok to include items from published sources as well (such as ADQ Oops sections). I'll be adding those soon.

If you'd like to help with this, reply with published designs that aren't in the list which you've checked out or which required fixes. Also, if one in the list has an issue (or is missing a reference where it appears), feel free to point these out too.

For fixes, try to keep them as close to the original design intent as possible. Some examples from the ones I've done thus far, I've had to shave some armor, remove an accessory that was illegal when using another (I kept the more powerful of the two), and on another I noticed that the extra cost/weight/space exactly matched a fire extinguisher, so I added it to the description.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #30
SJF

Hi. New player here I am in need of a few rule clarifications for Classic Car Wars.

1) For "odd" speeds, it is only the phase you move 1/2" that you cannot maneuver, correct? At first I thought it mean't you couldn't maneuver on turns that you move odd speeds, but that didn't seem right. (Page 7)

2) If you can accelerate during any phase of a turn does it affect the distance you can move for the rest of the phases? For example, if you are going 25 mph and accelerate to 30 mph in phase 4, do you get the 1/2" increase in movement on phase 5 that the new speed allows? (Page 8)

3) A swerve is a 1/4" drift, followed by an angle turn. The example uses a 30 degree bend. Can any degree of bend be used for this maneuver? (Page 13)

That's all for now =) I'm still working my way through the rules, so I'm sure more questions will come up.
SJF is offline   Reply With Quote