Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2015, 04:19 AM   #1
Phantasm

Default [Pyramid #3/37] The Sith & Wesson Family of Blasters

"Feel the power of the Dark Side in your hands!" -- Sith & Wesson Company Slogan.

I've been fiddling around with the "Blaster and Laser Design" system for my space opera setting, and I believe I've come up with a decent array of blasters for PCs to get their hands on.

Code:
Beam Weapons (Pistol)
TL   Weapon                   Damage            Acc   Range     Weight   RoF  Shots   ST   Bulk   Rcl   Cost     LC   Notes
11   Holdout Blaster          2d (5) burn sur   5     65/195    0.3/B    1    13(3)   2   -1      1     $480     3
11   Blaster Pistol           3d (5) burn sur   5     300/900   1.8/C    3    40(3)   4   -2      1     $2,500   3
11   Gatling Pistol           2d+2 (5) burn sur 5     200/600   2.2/2C   9    138(3)  4   -2      1     $4,800   2    [1]
11   Heavy Blaster Pistol     4d (5) burn sur   5     250/750   3.4/2C   3    33(3)   6   -2      1     $4,800   3
11   Blaster Machine Pistol   3d (5) burn sur   5     300/900   2.3/2C   10   80(3)   5   -2      1     $5,200   3    [1]

Beam Weapons (Rifle)
TL   Weapon                             Damage              Acc     Range          Weight   RoF   Shots   ST     Bulk   Rcl   Cost      LC   Notes
11   Light Blaster PDW                  4d (5) burn sur     10+1    500/1,500      4/2C     10    33(3)   4†     -3     1     $12,000   3    [1]
11   Blaster Carbine                    5d (5) burn sur     10+3    800/2,400      7.8/4C   9#/10 34(3)   6†     -4     1     $24,200   2    [1, 2]
11   Hunting Blaster Rifle              5d (5) burn sur     10+3    1,200/3,600    8.5/C    1     5(3)    6†     -4     1     $17,000   3    [1, 2]
11   Blaster Rifle                      6d (5) burn sur     10+3    1,200/3,600    15/D     9#/10 50(5)   9†     -6     1     $40,000   2    [1, 2]
11   Sniper Blaster Rifle               7d (5) burn sur     10+4    3,100/9,300    21/2C    3     6(3)    10B†   -7     1     $40,000   1    [1, 3]
11   Light Repeating Blaster            7d (5) burn sur     10+3    1,600/4,800    16/2Dp   10    62(5)   9†     -6     1     $64,000   1    [1, 2, 4]
11   Light Anti-Material Blaster Rifle	5d×2 (5) burn sur   10+4    3,200/9,600    37/Dp    1     18(5)   13B†   -9     1     $76,000	1    [1, 3]
11   Anti-Material Blaster Rifle        6d×2 (5) burn sur   10+4    6,400/19,200   66/Dp    1     10(5)   18B†   -10    1     $136K     1    [1, 3]

Beam Weapons (Squad Support Weapon)
TL   Weapon                    Damage            Acc   Range         Weight   RoF   Shots     ST    Bulk   Rcl   Cost      LC   Notes
11   Light Repeating Blaster   7d (5) burn sur   10+3  1,600/4,800   16/2Dp   10    62(5)     9†    -6     1     $64,000   1    [1, 2, 4]
11   Gatling Blaster           8d (5) burn sur   15    600/1,800     19/Ep    10!   210(5)    10†   -7     1     $76,000   1    [1, 4]

Beam Weapons (Wrist Gun)
TL   Weapon          Damage            Acc   Range    Weight   RoF   Shots   ST   Bulk   Rcl   Cost     LC
11   Wrist Blaster   3d (5) burn sur   3     90/270   0.6/2B   1     8(3)    3    -1     1     $1,000   3

Gunner (Beams)
TL   Weapon                    Damage              Acc   Range           Weight   RoF   Shots    ST    Bulk   Rcl   Cost    LC
11   Heavy Repeating Blaster   6d×2 (5) burn sur   15    4,600/13,800    128/Fp   20!   625(5)   27M   -10    1     $512K   1
11   Light Blaster Cannon      6d×5 (5) burn sur   15    29,000/87,000   1,000    1     ‒        ‒     ‒      1     $4M     1
Notes:
[1] HUD Link (Sees distance to target; Ultra-Tech, p. 149)
[2] Compact Targeting Scope (gives +3 to Acc, Hyperspectral Vision, and 8× magnification; Acc bonus, weight, and cost already factored on stat line; Ultra-Tech, p.* 149)
[3] Enhanced Targeting Scope (gives +4 to Acc, Hyperspectral Vision with Tunnel Vision, and 16× magnification; Acc bonus, weight, and cost already factored on stat line; Ultra-Tech, p.* 149)
[4] Designed to use superscience power cells, which multiplies Shots by 5.

A few design notes:

The Heavy Blaster Pistol was built with a Small rather than Medium Focal Array, as the intent was to have more damage at a closer range than the standard Blaster Pistol.
Wrist Blaster was built as a "Beamer"; I haven't yet factored in the cost or weight of the wrist/forearm mounting. It and the Holdout Blaster are built with a Very Small Focal Array.

The two new specialties for Beam Weapons are defined as such:

Squad Support Weapon: Any beam weapon capable of automatic fire designed to be fired "from the hip" or from a bipod/tripod rather than from a standard rifle position, usually used in a manner akin to Guns (Light Machine Gun).

Wrist Gun: Any beam weapon designed to be fired while strapped to the wrist or forearm.

To be honest, I'm not sure what role the Light Blaster Cannon would play; the Heavy Repeating Blaster is the HMG of the blasters.

So, thoughts? Things I might have missed?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 11-22-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: [Pyramid #3/37] The Sith & Wesson Family of Blasters

Increase the RoF on the light cannon to 66! - 100! And you have a radiation-spewing version of a M61 Vulcan. Not sure what good that low of RoF will be good for, though. Specialized payloads fired from missile launchers can perform easily as well and home in on their targets. Otherwise cool stuff. I like it.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Why is the light repeating blaster tagged as "designed to use superscience power cells?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Increase the RoF on the light cannon to 66! - 100! And you have a radiation-spewing version of a M61 Vulcan. Not sure what good that low of RoF will be good for, though. Specialized payloads fired from missile launchers can perform easily as well and home in on their targets. Otherwise cool stuff. I like it.
The design system doesn't permit RoF greater than 20. If you want to design an RoF 100 weapon, you either have to add in higher RoF generator options, or design it as a cluster of five or more guns.

A hefty single-shot cannon is, in a general sense, not an unreasonable device. They're somewhat common today, though usually vehicle mounted, and used to be common on gun carriage mountings too. Being a blaster does pose a problem in that it can't deliver effective area fire against infantry. But the light cannon could be reasonably used as an anti-armor cannon for light vehicles. If you added an option to run it off power cells, it could also be used by power armor or off a gun carriage by infantry, if either of those things seems setting appropriate.

It's unlikely that it will do the job better than a battery of tactical missile launchers. However, it is easier on the logistics and may be more appropriate in some space opera settings than an ATGM-based tank destroyer. (Though the fact that the gun costs $4 million, that also seems a bit of a problem. Actually, it looks like a miscalculation. 1000*$2000*1 = $2 million, not $4 million.)
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Why is the light repeating blaster tagged as "designed to use superscience power cells?"

The design system doesn't permit RoF greater than 20. If you want to design an RoF 100 weapon, you either have to add in higher RoF generator options, or design it as a cluster of five or more guns.

A hefty single-shot cannon is, in a general sense, not an unreasonable device. They're somewhat common today, though usually vehicle mounted, and used to be common on gun carriage mountings too. Being a blaster does pose a problem in that it can't deliver effective area fire against infantry. But the light cannon could be reasonably used as an anti-armor cannon for light vehicles. If you added an option to run it off power cells, it could also be used by power armor or off a gun carriage by infantry, if either of those things seems setting appropriate.

It's unlikely that it will do the job better than a battery of tactical missile launchers. However, it is easier on the logistics and may be more appropriate in some space opera settings than an ATGM-based tank destroyer. (Though the fact that the gun costs $4 million, that also seems a bit of a problem. Actually, it looks like a miscalculation. 1000*$2000*1 = $2 million, not $4 million.)
I think, when I made these late at night a few weeks ago, I did have a "meant for mounting on vehicles or installations" deal in mind. And thanks for catching the miscalculation! I knew I'd missed something. I had the sneaking suspicion I was underselling the damage it should dish out per shot. The lack of Shots, ST, or Bulk should indicate that it's meant for mounting, perhaps on a contragrav APF/IFV, not man-portable.

Also, a heavy mounted gatling with high RoF, like the Vulcan... that's not a bad idea. *scribbles notes*

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

In more general comments, I think it's a bit odd that you didn't make any heavy automatic generator weapons. Sure, you'll have to accept less performance or a heavier more costly gun than the light automatic generator, but RoF 20 is a significant advantage and you haven't got a single example.

I'm also not sure about the design on the anti-material rifle. The thing weighs 90 pounds and needs ST 14 to shoot from the bipod. Unless it's intended for a stronger species than humans, that's trying really hard to be too much gun! I'd suggest a competitor with exactly the same performance except a single shot generator instead of semi-auto, and D instead of 2D. Should cut the weight down to 69/D, giving ST 18B. Still a nightmare for a man-portable weapon, but a bit less of one. Dropping to RoF 1 Shots 6 is a disadvantage against targets that can dodge, but is generally not ill-suited to a sniper or anti-material rifle.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I'm also not sure about the design on the anti-material rifle. The thing weighs 90 pounds and needs ST 14 to shoot from the bipod. Unless it's intended for a stronger species than humans, that's trying really hard to be too much gun!
Between combat parahumans, RATS, battlesuits and other possible solutions, it doesn't seem to be necessarily unacceptable.
In fact, I remember I once ranted that HT and UT seem to lack proper weapons for characters who happen to have ST in the 13-25 range, with a few clumsy examples that are not suitable to using without a mount anyway.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Between combat parahumans, RATS, battlesuits and other possible solutions, it doesn't seem to be necessarily unacceptable.
Sure. Or heavy-grav world humans, or big burly aliens like Wookies.

But the thing weighs more than four times as much as the next-heaviest non-mounted gun in the list and is the only one that needs ST over 10 to use. So if it is intended as a rifle for ogres, those ogres are pretty under-served in terms of armaments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
In fact, I remember I once ranted that HT and UT seem to lack proper weapons for characters who happen to have ST in the 13-25 range, with a few clumsy examples that are not suitable to using without a mount anyway.
Of course, there are somewhat obvious reasons for that omission (especially in HT).
Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
In more general comments, I think it's a bit odd that you didn't make any heavy automatic generator weapons. Sure, you'll have to accept less performance or a heavier more costly gun than the light automatic generator, but RoF 20 is a significant advantage and you haven't got a single example.
Hmm... I'll have to fix that. An MMG and HMG variant blaster could probably use that. I think I'll rework the light cannon into a RoF 20! mounted HMG type, or maybe even a 60! or 100! variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth
I'm also not sure about the design on the anti-material rifle. The thing weighs 90 pounds and needs ST 14 to shoot from the bipod. Unless it's intended for a stronger species than humans, that's trying really hard to be too much gun! I'd suggest a competitor with exactly the same performance except a single shot generator instead of semi-auto, and D instead of 2D. Should cut the weight down to 69/D, giving ST 18B. Still a nightmare for a man-portable weapon, but a bit less of one. Dropping to RoF 1 Shots 6 is a disadvantage against targets that can dodge, but is generally not ill-suited to a sniper or anti-material rifle.
Hmm... to be fair, I added the B after seeing the weight and figuring it would commonly be fired from the prone position using a bipod, without adjusting the calculated ST stat for use with it. I need to look at those rules again.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Hmm... to be fair, I added the B after seeing the weight and figuring it would commonly be fired from the prone position using a bipod, without adjusting the calculated ST stat for use with it. I need to look at those rules again.
The bipod is fine (although it probably should add a little to the weight, a TL8 model weighs half a pound) but a bipod only reduces the ST requirement to 2/3 the listed value when in use. Thus it's ST 14 when used prone from the bipod!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
Adversary

I'm not familiar with the beam weapon design system you are using, but it seems odd that all the blaster rifles have the same Acc, from the PDW and carbine to the sniper rifle. I do see that the sniper rifle has longer range. Still, seems to me it should have higher accuracy. Even if the physics of the blaster beam are the same between the carbine and the sniper rifle, different ergonomics, sights, etc. should result in different accuracy. The grips, stock, etc. of the carbine would be optimized for rapid fire at closer, rapidly-acquired targets, those of the sniper rifle for aimed fire at longer distances.
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/37, ultra-tech