Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Colarmel

Default Werewolf Human Form

If a werewolf switches to human form in order to try to save its miserable life, how do its stats change? Does it still have full ST, full DR, regeneration?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Werewolf Human Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post

If a werewolf switches to human form in order to try to save its miserable life, how do its stats change? Does it still have full ST, full DR, regeneration?
Alternate Form is largely a "color" ability in the DFRPG (read: a way for the GM to engineer an interesting encounter), but I'd say the human form would retain everything that doesn't rely on having "a beast's head, claws, fur, and tail." That's up to the GM, but the traits I would have go away would be the cutting bite/claw attack and No Fine Manipulators (no wolf claws or teeth); Acute Senses, Discriminatory Smell, Disturbing Voice, Night Vision, and Penetrating Voice (no wolf ears, eyes, mouth, nose, or throat); Silence (no furry, padded paws); Temperature Tolerance (no fur); and negative Appearance (obviously!). This would get rid of Stealth bonuses and reduce Tracking to 11. I'd leave attributes and other abilities (including ST, DR, and Regeneration) alone . . . but the same would go for other flaws (like Dread and Vulnerability).
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Colarmel

Boo, hiss.

I mean, this approach is much easier on the GM; but it does sort of leave me wondering why on earth the werewolves fight in wolf form at all.

Sure cutting hands and teeth are nice, but swords are nicer, and no one's going to guess they need to use silver on a dude in armor swinging a sword.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

You can gimp their special abilities if you like . . . nothing really prevents that. I'm just saying what I would do! You could propose a whole range of forms that gradually get less strong and less damage-resistant as they grow more humanlike – lots of fiction does that. But lots of fiction makes the beast form mostly scary for its claws, teeth, and faster four-legged gait, and has werewolves mostly driving around in cars and shooting guns because being a tool-using human who can regenerate and shrug off wounds is just better than being a beast that can regenerate and shrug off wounds. It's up to you!

When werewolves can control their change, the big problem with depriving them of all their special gifts in human form is that it becomes hard to understand why they'd ever be in human form in a violent genre where social interaction is essentially a postscript. In a more social game than the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, there would be large gains to be had by posing as ordinary people – large enough that the risk of being killed in such a fragile form would be worth taking. But in hack 'n' slash, it amounts to a really fatal flaw with no upside.

Perhaps a good compromise, if you're going to totally remove special powers, is to have most werewolves' human form be a capable adventurer type. If nearly every werewolf can turn into the equivalent of a 250-point or better barbarian, druid, scout, or whatever, and exploit weapons, spells, and the like in that form, there would be a good in-game reason to assume a human form without werewolf abilities even in hack 'n' slash!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Colarmel

In my own games I'd absolutely stat them as regular humans, in Zuljita's DoA game, they were statted as you described, which is fine too, I suppose.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Imbicatus

I remember how much of a pain it was to do the forms for multi-phase werewolves in the old 3rd edition gurps version of Werewolf: The Apocalypse. As a GM you’re free to go into as much detail and variation as you want, but it seems like more work than needed for a non-pc.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There's no right answer.

There's plenty of fiction where the "human" forms of monsters are essentially cosmetic: The human-form dragon still has draconic senses, emanates an aura of power or fear, casts spells that draw on huge reserves of strength, lives almost forever, etc. The human-form lycanthrope still regenerates and ignores attacks that aren't silver, and still has problems with silver. And so on.

My personal preference is to have the traits associated with gross physical features go with the form that has those features. As a dragon shifted into human form lacks claws, scales, sharp teeth, wings, and massive size, it won't be able to fly, resist blows, and tear people apart. But if a trait is more along the lines of a mystical blessing or curse nobody can see, I like to keep it in all forms. A werewolf as written is just a furry, clawed human-sized figure – there are no scales that go away and there's no big change in size.

But that's only one possibility.

And you could have more than one possibility in the same game world, region, dungeon, or even encounter. There's no good reason why "elder" werewolves can't have all their powers in all forms, "greater" ones can have some of their powers, and "lesser" ones just turn into wimpy humans.

For that matter, there's no reason why some dragons might actually turn into super-powered humanoids, others might remain in dragon form but project an illusion (which means they'll have to be really careful about picking their surroundings!), and still others might become ordinary Joes.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
Tom H.

With DFRPG, I miss the traditional aspect of werewolves being afflicted humans.

That being said, I really appreciate how several DFRPG monsters creatively distinguish themselves from being D&D translations. It's cool to see how the stereotypes differ when some alternate logic is applied. This is in keeping with GURPS reality bearing. For example, vampires eschew many classic constraints.

I have an occasional generic campaign that has switched back and forth between D&D and GURPS implementations. So sometimes the differences in the games' monsters call for adaptation on my part.

For example, I have a dryad encounter. With DFRPG I use the Spirit Guardian to implement this. As the name is very general, I almost missed the applicability. Whereas a D&D dryad relies heavily on charm person, DFRPG has no such ability out of the box. However, you get the interesting Eject and Pummel abilities for territorial defense. I'm still considering adding back in a charm effect.

To get back to the DFRPG werewolf, the lack of traditional human affliction assumes most people will just go to the temple to get cured. However, in my campaign there is just so much more plot creativity when members of the community have the affliction and must decide how to control it. Therefore, I still have to make my own modifications when I get around to it.

I like to use DFRPG as a more direct application than GURPS for running a more sober game than the marketing would encourage. Therefore, I can easily incorporate the complications that come from traditional dual form werewolves.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote