Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
DAT

Default 4th Edition GURPS Version of the Chamax

Has anyone developed a 4th Edition GURPS version of the Chamax?

If you are a player and haven’t met the Chamax before, I suggest not reading any farther.

If you are GMing or don’t care, the Chamax are the main antagonist in the Double Adventures: “The Chamax Plague” and “Horde” by William H. Keith, Jr. and J. Andrew Keith and in the JTAS Article: “A Plague on All Your Houses!” by M.J. Dougherty & Neil A. Frier.

I've winged a version of the Chamax for 3rd Edition GURPS, but am interested in doing a full 4th Edition build.

-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
cybermancer2k1

Default Re: 4th Edition GURPS Version of the Chamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Has anyone developed a 4th Edition GURPS version of the Chamax?
If you have a JTAS subscription, the article Chamax by Paul Drye (misspelled Paye Drye in the search engine) has an excellent 3e version. It even goes into what makes the chamax' venom so deadly and the future of the race they devastated. Probably not too hard to 4therize it.

A (very) quick Google turned up nothing in the wild. Sorry.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
DAT

If any one is interested, or would care to comment, here is my 4e version of the a chamax hunter:

Chamax Hunter
A chamax hunter resembles a ten-legged tarantula the size of a great dane (~50kg/110lbs). It will attack like a berserker, showing no fear and disregarding any danger to itself, and devour any non-chamax life form it encounters. It will grab potential prey with it’s mandibles, bite, and then spit it’s highly corrosive digestive acid until the prey is dead or the hunter is pulled away. Once it has killed, it will devour the victim and return to the chamax maternal.

ST: 10 HP: 12 Speed: 6.00
DX: 12 Will: 10 Move: 6
IQ: 5 Per: 12 Weight: 110 lbs
HT: 12 FP: 12 SM: -1

Dodge: 10* Parry: N/A DR: 0

Grapple (14)/Bite (auto)/Acid (auto): 2d-3 cutting (bite) + follow up 1d corrosion (one second cycle). Reach C.

Traits: Absolute Direction (Requires Signal, Location of Maternal); Blind; Combat Reflexes; Extra Legs (Ten Legs); Detect (Life, PER based); Detect (Radio Signals, PER based); Fragile (Unnatural, Explosive (3d corrosion, same and all adjacent hexes)); Hibernation (when lack of food, or exposure to freezing temperatures); Hign Pain Threshold; Horizontal; No Fine Manipulators; Regeneration (Extreme: 11 HP/Sec**), Scanning Sense (Para-Radar, 1000 yard range, 360° arc); Short Arms (Grasping Mandibles); Telecommunication (Radio); Tunneling (6d per second corrosive attack on barriers); Unfazable; Wild Animal.
Skills: Brawling 14.
Notes: * Will try to dodge the acid spray from a killed chamax, but otherwise won’t dodge other attacks. ** Any damage less than 12 HP effectively healed instantaneously. An damage 12 HP or greater kills the chamax.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
AOTA

Hate to necro thread. But thanks DAT this Chamax template is going to be very useful for my GURPS Traveller game.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
Hate to necro thread. But thanks DAT this Chamax template is going to be very useful for my GURPS Traveller game.
Excellent. Tell us how it went when you have a chance.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
AOTA

Worked out really well. Only used one of the buggers in the Drinax adventure but it did surprise them. They were expecting a shoot out with a pirate not a bug hunt. Didn't do any real damage to them until it took enough damage to explode. They were not expecting that.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote