Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Fit and Very Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
My house rule is that characters with Very Fit ignore every second point of FP cost. Only a little bit of testing, but nothing broken so far.
Kinda ditto...

I actually just doubled how long it takes for them lose 1 FP if they were at a "Lose 1 FP" rung on whatever they were doing. Yes, this sometimes means they don't lose any FP, but I don't sweat the small stuff.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #22
Bicorn

I've sometimes felt that the fatigue effects of Fit and Very Fit should be swapped (half costs for Fit, that plus double recovery for Very Fit). I can't really say why, though, it's just a seat-of-the-pants feeling. What arguments might there be for or against this?
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
I've sometimes felt that the fatigue effects of Fit and Very Fit should be swapped (half costs for Fit, that plus double recovery for Very Fit). I can't really say why, though, it's just a seat-of-the-pants feeling. What arguments might there be for or against this?
I can think of none for, but against?

Recovery is worth less than halving right off the bat. It's always, always, better to take less FP 'damage' than to be able to recover it more quickly*.

* Baring extremes of 'instant' recovery. And even then...

Last edited by evileeyore; 02-12-2018 at 10:49 AM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:02 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Wouldn't that depend on whether the FP loss is limiting how much you can do within the brief window, or determining how doing so takes out of your longer-term reserves?
I'm not quite sure what you're going for. If you mean spending FP fast and regaining it fast, on the order of seconds out and a minute or two in, then that's exactly a case of becoming even crunchier than GURPS already is.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #25
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It depends on what you're trying to achieve. Very Fit is very good for someone who needs to run a marathon, spend a lot of time without sleeping, swim through arctic waters etc., as it effectively doubles your FP pool and gives another +1 to HT rolls.

I have Very Fit (and HT14) on a character, and I almost stopped worrying about such things because of that.
Quite a lot too good. As just Very Fit and HT14 combined will allow you to run a marathon faster than the current world best by a large margin.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
AlexanderHowl

With a failure occurring once every 54 rolls and with the interval for the HT roll being 30 seconds for sprinting, a HT 14 character with Very Fit would lose 1/2 FP within 11,340 seconds (3.15 hours). Since the character could recover their lost FP in only 35 minutes (0.6 hours), they could do two such sprints in less than 8 hours. If we assume a Basic Move of 7 and No Encumbrance, the character could sprint 173 km in less than 8 hours, which is superhuman (the world record record is more 7 km/hour than 22 km/hour).

I think that if you wanted a more realistic version of movement, you would be to remove the HT roll for resisting FP loss when running and just have characters automatically lose one FP for every 15 seconds of running (every 30 seconds if the character possessed Very Fit). That would actually reflect the exhaustion that we actually see with cheetahs, racehorses, sprinters, etc without having any other trait. The long distance running records would then make sense because it would represent a HT 14 person with Very Fit jogging for 80 hours (averaging 7 km/hour).

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 02-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #27
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Quite a lot too good. As just Very Fit and HT14 combined will allow you to run a marathon faster than the current world best by a large margin.
You don't need the HT14 - Fatigue loss checks for running use the higher of HT and the Running skill, and HT10 (and FP10) is plenty when you're only losing 1FP every 27 minutes on average whilst sprinting. Running at 4 point/level is cheaper than HT.

The current record requires a Move of 10.43 if distance running, and Move 5.21 if sprinting.

Actually, you only 'need' 5FP to run a Marathon and stay over 1/3FP with Running-16. Thus HT7 [-30] (Fit/Very Fit don't have a HT requirement), Very Fit [15], Running-16[36], and enough extra Move to get Move 6 (+3 Move [15] assuming DX10) will be sufficient. Total cost = 36 points.

Even less HT brings slight savings, but as you'd have to buy up FP it's very small and we're told that attributes under seven are 'crippling'.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Even less HT brings slight savings, but as you'd have to buy up FP it's very small and we're told that attributes under seven are 'crippling'.
The part where your sports career is constantly on hold because you're constantly recovering from an injury or illness is a big problem, yes. Very hard to train your Running skill so high if you're hospitalized.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #29
GodBeastX

Rule -1: If an advantage doesn't seem fun, make it fun. If Very Fit isn't fun or fair, then redo how you handle it.

Personally my players have been more likely to take Very Fit than HT. Of course, they tend to like the idea that their char seems very fit! I also add fringe benefits for Very Fit, where it can add to reaction and stuff where fitness might be concerned. THey also like it since they have to march to dungeons a lot and having only lost 4 FP instead of 8 FP on the 8 hour journey is nice!

"I bet I can climb this rope faster than you!"
Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The part where your sports career is constantly on hold because you're constantly recovering from an injury or illness is a big problem, yes. Very hard to train your Running skill so high if you're hospitalized.
I agree. That's outright attempting to abuse the rules to silly levels, not proving the base use is wrong. Though I do agree that the running rules are inadequate for use with Very Fit and reasonable levels of Ht, let alone high but still within the realm of human possibility.